AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

44 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm not sure there's much point to having them for shorter runs either - the Sammy Guevara/Cody debacle was a bit of a mess. 

I'd add "Too many titles" to your list. What, for example, has the All-Atlantic title done to enhance AEW television? Same goes for the various ROH titles, and I'd go as far as to say the TBS title doesn't need to exist. Jade Cargill is having a great run with this title, to the point that the main women's title feels really weak in comparison. If she was having this run with the Women's World Title, the belt would feel like a big deal; but there's really no danger of that happening right now. I'm cynical about the value of the trios titles too. 

When it comes to the shorter interims. I'm thinking it's more acceptable from the point of view you have someone out for say a month. It then lets the Interim carry on with at least a random defense. Then the champion returns and it gives a couple/few weeks to build to the unification.

On the too many titles front. ROH titles go back to the issue of ROH right now.

I think the Women's division needs a second title and a second singles title is more workable than a tag title. When there's 20+ in a division plus outsiders it should be easy enough to work opposites to keep things fresh Heel champ/Face champ or workrate title/"star" title. On paper Jade and Thunder Rosa have been that. The execution has been poor. Which sums up the booking of the Women's division.

All-Atlantic title looks to be living up to the rumour. An inter-promotional title that's defended off TV apart from special occasions. I don't mind it, it's a bit of a throwback.

FTW and right now the AAA Mixed tags are gimmick belts that will disappear once they've had this run. I actually think HOOK should end up with the All-Atlantic title. Let him hit the indies and stretch his legs. He's going to need to stretch his legs sooner than later to avoid the teething problems of having more competitive matches without losing his aura.

It's the Trios title that's one too many for me. AEW have shown an ability to tell stories between feuding factions. The Trios title look like they'll be relegated to B team status more often than not.

8 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’m assuming the fan that Punk took offence to said something out of turn, but I don’t think the mics picked it up.

There was a person/couple of people trying to start a 'Colt Cabana' clap clap clap chant. The typical attention seeking fan that can appear at most wrestling/comedy shows. It was Punk's way of getting him to stop.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

There was a person/couple of people trying to start a 'Colt Cabana' clap clap clap chant. The typical attention seeking fan that can appear at most wrestling/comedy shows. It was Punk's way of getting him to stop.

CM Punk getting picky about someone chanting a wrestler's name that's been poorly treated and isn't on the show, is part of why I think this is leaning into a heel turn. Of any wrestler, he's the most at risk of being a hypocrite by getting shirty about it.

1 hour ago, Pinc said:

Was that the best take they could get out of Darby?

His motivations are confusing to me. So Brody King dumped you out of the battle royal, then he pinned you, then you beat him in a coffin match. Now he wants to free King from the House of Black...why, exactly?

I actually really enjoyed this show in terms of pro-wrestling matches. The four way and main event were loads of fun. But I am going to reiterate what I said last week (and what many others have said this week), this detour to add a wrinkle to Punk/Mox, all just to get back round to the same match that was always going to be happening at All Out is so stupid. And they clearly didn't get the reaction for Punk they thought they'd get - which you can't blame on the crowd not being hot, because they were going nuts for parts of the four way match and the main event.

As has happened before, the All Out card - now that we actually have it filled, a few days from the PPV - indicates the show will likely slap but they need to do more to build their stories enough to not be adding large swathes of the card at this late date. Also: the show is probably going to be way too long, again.

16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

CM Punk getting picky about someone chanting a wrestler's name that's been poorly treated and isn't on the show, is part of why I think this is leaning into a heel turn. Of any wrestler, he's the most at risk of being a hypocrite by getting shirty about it.

Particularly when the promo that shot Punk to fame quite literally had him wave "Hey Colt Cabana, how 'ya doing?" to the camera. 

Hayter's the best worker on the roster at the moment.  Her offence looks terrifically snug, and she bumps like her life depended on it.  That faceplant bump was fabulous.  I'm assuming she will eventually turn on Britt Baker, although to be fair she's not been given much reason to.  Maybe she can turn DMD face in the process. I'm still hopeful she will get added to the Blackpool Combat Club as their female member.

• Paid Members

The best outcome of the women's 4-way would be Hayter taking the belt. The dynamic between her and Britt would be the most interesting thing they could do and could actually drive some real storyline into the division. It'll be Storm, though.