AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Face or heel, the aim of a promo is to big up matches and stars and put bums in seats.  Punk getting 10 minutes to run down the roster to make himself look clever is the exact opposite.  He made Hangman look like weak coward, he undermined Moxley’s recent run, and generally did that Punk thing of making me want to turn off the telly.  He absolutely KILLED the live crowd too.

I'm usually a fan of traditional booking and playing it straight but on occasion that can go out the window if the angle's hot, and for me this was one of those occasions.

It doesn't really stick in my craw that Punk ran down the roster, because the draw is that it's a heated grudge match rooted in realism. It's a wrestling storyline emulating realism. It's realistic for teams to run down their opposition. For MMA fighters and boxers to run down their opponent. And it's usually fecking brilliant when they do it. 

I'm not worried if it's damaging the rest of the league/division, and I'm not worried here it's damaging the rest of the roster. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

1 hour ago, Duke said:

Assuming the story of Punk going into business for himself with Hangman is true and not just Dave being worked, Punk's odds of retaining next week just dropped drastically (from a 50% to a 25% chance AT BEST). 

It wouldn't be entirely surprising to find out that Khan moved the match earlier to get the belt off Punk for burying a major babyface. Seems unlikely, but I could see it.

This is the report from PWInsider below. I doubt the match is on Wednesday as a result of this but it's still not great from Punk, if it's true - which, given the direction they took with MJF and the worky-shooty stuff, it may not be.

We've had a number of readers ask about comments AEW Champion CM Punk made on last night's Dynamite, essentially calling out former AEW Champion Hangman Page (who did not come out), then calling the lack of response cowardly as opposed to "cowboy sh**" and then remarking that the apology should be larger than the "disrespect" before asking if anyone else had any issues and wanted to come out before turning the direction of his promo to Jon Moxley to build to their bout to crown an undisputed AEW Champion.

Punk's comments about Page and anyone else who wanted to come out and fight him were not part of the overall plans going into that segment.

Instead Punk, who has the leeway to go in whatever direction he wants verbally, appeared to take the moment to call out Page. It appears there has been some of of issue with Punk and Page brewing for months, given that right before their match at last May's Double or Nothing PPV (where Punk beat Page for the title), Page, to Punk's face, buried him in a promo and treated Punk as some sort of interloper to the promotion that Page needed to protect AEW from, which made zero sense given that was never Punk's on camera role for the promotion or even in the build to that match.

The comments at the time were so far out of left field that I asked AEW President Tony Khan about them during a media call for AEW Double or Nothing prior to the show. At the time, Khan said the segment made sense because they are two guys who don't like each other and want to fight. He said the comments helped make it a compelling fight and if you were someone like Page there from day one, you could see his perspective.

Obviously, CM Punk didn't see his perspective and given this was his first real promo time since breaking his foot, he decided to give Page a receipt verbally live on Dynamite.

To the best of our knowledge, there was no interaction with Punk and Page before, during or after last night's Dynamite backstage. Whether any of this is turned into storyline down the line remains to be seen, but when Punk made his comments, we are told they were made without AEW's advance knowledge and in that regard, it was 100% a shoot from Punk.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members

That's interesting, but a lot of two and two together in that. I remember Pages promo making sense when seen in the context of the Kingston and MJF feuds, but maybe it was more random than I recall 

Just watched the promo and CM Punk is a fucking weirdo. Honest to fuck you are on the mic for the first time in months after breaking your own foot unnecessarily and you take a shot at a guy who can’t do fuck all at that time to say anything back. It’s not big, or clever, he’s just a cunt. Only took a year for this prick side of him to fully appear. Hope he fucks off again, this is the kinda shit I’ve enjoyed not having to watch on aew. 

• Paid Members

Maybe I’m being worked but I will side with Hangman over Punk every single time. 
I’ve mentioned on here that regardless of their in-ring ability I always like to see the early AEW originals over most the new guys because they’re the ones that got me hooked at the start. It left a sour taste in my mouth to lose Cabana just cos Punk rocked up, but I understood it. I’m not having Punk bin Hangman off though.