AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

9 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

You didn't actually see kofi winning the belt did you? Literally one of the most organic situations since stone cold.

Behave haha. Stone cold wasn’t facing Steve Blackman 96 times on tv and losing half them then lost the title to Kane at KOtR then went into a tag team for that to be even be half comparable 

Edited by Louch

I wasn't crazy on the Kofi stuff either. I don't think it's that strange. 

We talk about the Gratitude Era, Kofi winning the belt was WrestleMania 14 for the Gratitude Era. The feel good of the moment couldn't overpower for me the sense that your tippy top prize shouldn't be used as a thank you. I get that champions have been meaningless in WWE since forever, but I still personally would prefer the book lean toward meaningful long term runs you plan on building business around as opposed to a 24 doc and couple of weeks worth of content. 

It's crotchety I know. Wasn't in to it by Raw the next Monday. Wasn't the only one though. WrestleMania's just for clip generation now but I still wish it wasn't.

spacer.png

I'm buying Kingston as the top guy for a bit no problem though. A well done transitional champion, even, can be conducive to decent long term booking. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

4 minutes ago, Supremo said:

If we ignore absolutely everything, yeah.

Then Why does everyone talk about his potential reign as being a short one? It’s gratitude and you know it. 

3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

What do we reckon to Kingston taking the Interim title from Mox at Arthur Ashe ready for when Punk gets back.

Kingston winning a lesser version of the World title rather than the ‘full’ belt would be a bad move in my view. 

1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Everyone would get bored of Eddie Kingston as champion within two months anyway and start calling for one of the ex WWE stars to be champion again. 

I’m sorry, but this is absolute nonsense. Based on what, exactly? My guess is that you’re going to say ‘Hangman Page’ to this, but that’s a poor example for a number of reasons, not least the fact that the majority view seemed to be that he should drop the belt to MJF, himself an AEW original.

1 hour ago, Louch said:

So way to agree on my point there. it’s mania-moment pish wanting Eddie winning in New York, his win should be big enough for anywhere, not his area code

And it is. Kingston is arguably the most over babyface in AEW right now. He gets a phenomenal reaction regardless of where they go. 

• Paid Members

Kofi winning the WWE title was one of the reasons I stopped watching, along with Becky Lynch being all over the product. It was the least believable title reign in forever. They couldn't build new stars so just gave the belt to a mid-carder who had been around forever. Shite.

9 hours ago, Louch said:

Then Why does everyone talk about his potential reign as being a short one? It’s gratitude and you know it. 

I don't think every champion has to have a long title reign to make it worthwhile or relevant. Giving someone a title win and then taking it off them doesn't have to be gratitude. As long as it makes sense and its done well then fine. Eddie's situation could easily be written as something compelling and then it's absolutely okay. 

I'm not going to get into endless fantasy booking scenarios but it's really not as clear cut as what you're saying.

Just now, Pinc said:

Its just weird that no one has acknowledged Eddie and Kofi have the same surname after all these replies.

I did have to re type some replies to say eddie and Kofi after I Kingston and Kingston’d them. Must be hereditary to not have it ;) 

Eddie should never win the big one. Its not an unresolved story, you get it in real shows. Sometimes the cruel reality is harder and more investing than giving us what we want and throw it away like we do. I'd love Eddie Kingston to never win the big one because I love that story more. I like that losing in wrestling is seen less as a choke artist and more part of a character now. Because it isn't real anyway also. 

I'm all for Eddie winning the belt but not against Mix. I want it against a heel Punk talking down to him along the way. Beating Mix just because it's in his hometown has no punch for me. 

That said the guy is not a long term champ I. The same way you,'d never have put the belt on Foley long term. He should either drop it back to punk in a few weeks or onto the next big heel.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Louch said:

Because going on a long, drawn out, undefeated Title run doesn’t suit his character. He’s a flawed, troubled, angry man who needs conflict and problems - self-inflicted and otherwise - to fuel him. It’s why he’s so over and engaged with the audience. He’s an authentic, real person that they connect with. He’s the modern day Mick Foley, who equally only ever had short reigns because it didn’t suit his character to go on a Goldberg run. Still worked wonders though.

6 hours ago, Supremo said:

Because going on a long, drawn out, undefeated Title run doesn’t suit his character. He’s a flawed, troubled, angry man who needs conflict and problems - self-inflicted and otherwise - to fuel him. It’s why he’s so over and engaged with the audience. He’s an authentic, real person that they connect with. He’s the modern day Mick Foley, who equally only ever had short reigns because it didn’t suit his character to go on a Goldberg run. Still worked wonders though.

The foley run, I pray for the women of AEW when Kingston writes his books then 

21 hours ago, Chili said:

Eddie should never win the big one. Its not an unresolved story, you get it in real shows. Sometimes the cruel reality is harder and more investing than giving us what we want and throw it away like we do. I'd love Eddie Kingston to never win the big one because I love that story more. I like that losing in wrestling is seen less as a choke artist and more part of a character now. Because it isn't real anyway also. 

I have to disagree with this, mainly because I view the format of wrestling storytelling as different. Effectively, wrestling builds up to conclusive moments, and if there was a groundswell of momentum for Kingston (and there really is right now), I'm not sure what the conclusive moment would be to make this story feel resolved. Like, where do you go with it? The danger is that it defines him down, and he loses momentum, because people care less every time he gets that title shot. Ultimately, I think Kingston needs that big win, I think that is the logical arc for him. And frankly, I'm not sure there's anyone else in AEW (or WWE for that matter) who is capable of giving fans the goosebump-inducing moment that Eddie Kingston could if he were to win the World Title. 

If Eddie Kingston were to beat - for example - MJF, or a heel CM Punk for the title, you have a rare opportunity. The build up would almost certainly be immense, meaning the pay-off would be all the more sweet. 

I think you could achieve elements of what you're suggesting by having Kingston lose the belt relatively quickly - you could either build up to a satisfying second title win, or you could turn him heel and have him become obsessed with regaining the world title, willing to resort to reprehensible means in order to do so. For me, Kingston winning the World Title is vital for his character, and important for AEW in providing the company with a Hangman Page-esque long term story to build towards. 

I'm with you to a point Rooster, but I think that in the same way some misguided people thought Undertaker should have retired with the streak in tact; Eddie should retire never having won the big one.

Its why this interim World title was made for him, and why I'm so disappointed they didn't do the brave thing and put it on him. In the old days with a character like Eddie's you'd do a big Dusty Finish when the champ came to the territory and let Eddie live off the 30 seconds he had the belt until his dying day. With the interim World title they could have effectively let a Dusty Finish play out over however many months it took Punk to come back and spoil the party. Preferably by cheating to take back the belt and making himself the biggest prick heel on Earth. It would've elevated Eddie and given us the goosebump moment when he won the interim belt, but leave his main animating character point - his doubt in himself - in tact for future stories.

If he wins the title for real its probably great for a night but you can never tell the story of his self doubt again. Because he's exorcised it. Eddie Kingston is a far less interesting character the moment he gets the belt and even though as a fan I'd love it, if I were booking I'd want to keep that element of his character going forever.

Edited by Pinc