AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

Jade and HOOK are kinda opposites in certain ways.

Jade as a character is loud and outgoing. Physically she towers over most of the women's roster and that hides some of her sloppiness as being at least powerful if it connects.

HOOK says almost nothing. Then entering into midcard/upper card territory starts looking smaller.

• Paid Members

Having now finally watched the whole thing, this was easily the best episode of Dynamite in months. Paced really well, only a handful of things that annoyed me, and loads of great wrestling and happy moments that leave you in a good mood. Brilliant. We're back, baby! I miss being enthused to actually post something!

It wasn’t without its problems. The Christian thing just feels desperate and sad at this point. The sandbag stuff was some of the absolute worst Russo/TNA shoot bollocks I’ve ever seen. And they need to get a fucking grip of their women’s division. This has got to be the ninth or tenth time where the women get their designated twenty minutes just before the main event, whether it’s matches or Jade Cargill promos, all rushed through and positioned in a manner that couldn’t make it clearer that nothing matters. Are they aware Sasha Banks is likely watching? I can’t imagine she’s particularly excited at the prospect of simply existing with the rest of these women. How is this any different to what she had on Mondays and Fridays? Remember when Statlander got stupidly over for like a week and they did nothing? Infuriating.

But yeah. Otherwise, this was a boss show!

Great, fun opener, once again proving the Orange Cassidy act always works as long as his opponent plays it straight. Disappointed we didn’t get Wardlow in the shades giving it a thumbs up at the end though. That would’ve ruled.

On Cassidy’s music; my wife hates wrestling. However, she stopped in her tracks when she heard Cassidy coming out to, “Jane,” and said that’s the best entrance music she ever heard. THE CASUALS HAVE SPOKEN.

Anyone complaining about Moxley, especially after this match, can get directly into the bin. He’s the fucking man. Imagine complaining about Mox in 2022! Talk about spoilt. And predictable? The only thing predictable about Moxley matches right now is that you can always predict they’ll be complete bangers. He might bleed all the time, but so do real fighters with scar tissue. I swear half the time he’s not even blading. Like here; I’m sure he just took a hard shot and started bleeding. Not that it really matters. Other than the overuse of blood he’s had one of the greatest years I’ve ever seen, adapts amazingly to all his opponents and makes everyone look phenomenal. In 2020 he proved WWE wrong. In 2022 he’s absolutely humiliated them. They had this man. They could’ve done exactly this with him. They could’ve built their company around him. And instead he was walking around with joke shop props. It gets more ridiculous as time goes on and he somehow gets better and better.

Whisper it quietly; Moxley should beat Punk when he returns to unify the belts. Don’t @ me.

Solid promos from both Jericho and Kingston. It’s a testament to both guys that I still care after all this time. Next week should be great. Kingston wins big and marches all the way to an Arthur Ashe title shot, surely?

I don’t particularly care about ROH, and I think people still expecting them to eventually get TV and move all the ROH guys away from Dynamite are living in a dream world, but that upcoming PPV looks like the wanky workrate show of the summer! I’m in! Let’s be honest though. At this point, it genuinely feels like the only reason ROH even exists is so that Khan can book the Briscoes without causing issues with Warner.

Fantastic main event. Balls to the wall fun, where everyone looks amazing. Is there anyone on the planet who doesn’t think Ricky Starks is underrated? He’s the best. But yeah; I love the Young Bucks more than is healthy. I don’t know how Tony Khan shows restraint. I’d book a Young Bucks match on every show I had.

Great, feel-good moment having Keith win, but I can’t lie. The first thing I thought of was how they’re going to get the belts back on the Bucks for what feels like the inevitable all-or-nothing match against FTR at All Out. They’d be mad to do any other match at the PPV.

Another week with no Hookhausen. That's it then, is it? The old team, on the scrapheap? Not even an explanation?

F22D9EEA-B140-471D-AA92-D488258B0070.thumb.jpeg.c5f240a9c48dcf1c6eba25aee699efdf.jpeg

There should be a helpline we can ring.

Edited by Supremo

Got round to listening to JR's podcast this week. Explains the change to doing half of Dynamite and Rampage. Either TK has fed into his ego, or he's putting the spin on things. Apparently JR coming out in the middle of Dynamite is a boost due to the fan reaction and it's a further boost to Rampage having him on.

During the explanation a snippet rang more true. He does an hour, then gets a bathroom break and refresh while Rampage is set up.

• Paid Members

That's a shame, I love me some Santana. Seems like he's been unhappy for awhile and apparently him and Ortiz have fallen out because he wants to go into singles. Personally I'd love to see him go into singles when he comes back, he's just got that special something. Him grabbing Jericho by the throat felt like one of the most real and intense things in wrestling in years.

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

That's a shame, I love me some Santana. Seems like he's been unhappy for awhile and apparently him and Ortiz have fallen out because he wants to go into singles. Personally I'd love to see him go into singles when he comes back, he's just got that special something. Him grabbing Jericho by the throat felt like one of the most real and intense things in wrestling in years.

100% agree. He has an Eddie Kingston-like believability to him. I’d be really disappointed to see him leave, and the likes of Cole, Fish and O’Reilly stick around. 

Jon Moxley is easily the best thing about Dynamite at the moment. He seems to have taken up the mantle from Danielson and Punk in having fun weekly TV matches and shining up oppenents. Great stuff this week, working heel and reining in Takeshita.

Nothing else is clicking for me at the minute though. It's a shame Christian hasn't come through as a compelling main event level heel. Being a massive try hard has completely taken the edge off him.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

I’m assuming that Kingston gets the win over Jericho this coming week. Although he’s been chasing a win that he already has, having won at Revolution, he just has to win the feud outright.

What do we reckon to Kingston taking the Interim title from Mox at Arthur Ashe ready for when Punk gets back. Their match last year was a belter and was built around Kingston achieving his potential. It’s made for Punk to come back saying that Kingston only achieved his potential because he wasn’t around, and now he’s back to reclaim the top spot. 
Ofcourse it all depends on how much longer Punk is out for

Aew should avoid all “you deserve it” champs. Got reminded on a pod yesterday about Kofi winning the wwe title, and think how many mid carders have been rewarded with the main title there and how little their title means now.  Top guys should be those that have potential to grow who’s watching your show, Kingston isn’t that. He’s not gonna lose anything being the guy to beat as heels move upward. 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Louch said:

Top guys should be those that have potential to grow who’s watching your show, Kingston isn’t that. 

In what way is he not that? Is it the streak of amazing matches? The streak of amazing promos? The most authentic, well performed character in forever? How massively over he is? How articulate, interesting and progressive he is online and in media interviews?

It’s one thing if people want to argue that Eddie Kingston should never win the World Title because it suits his character to always fall at the last hurdle, I completely get that, but let’s not pretend he doesn’t otherwise tick every single box and is already one of their top stars. He’s arguably their greatest success story. Turns up on a random spot appearance and ends up going on the run of a lifetime.

Also, big shout out for using Kofi winning the title in WWE as a some type of negative example. Kofi winning the belt was legitimately one of the best things from any company in the last decade, and will likely go down in history as the last truly great thing WWE ever did. Eddie Kingston winning the AEW World Title in New York City would be as great, if not better.

1 hour ago, Louch said:

Aew should avoid all “you deserve it” champs. Got reminded on a pod yesterday about Kofi winning the wwe title, and think how many mid carders have been rewarded with the main title there and how little their title means now.  Top guys should be those that have potential to grow who’s watching your show, Kingston isn’t that. He’s not gonna lose anything being the guy to beat as heels move upward. 

You didn't actually see kofi winning the belt did you? Literally one of the most organic situations since stone cold.

43 minutes ago, Supremo said:

In what way is he not that? Is it the streak of amazing matches? The streak of amazing promos? The most authentic, well performed character in forever? How massively over he is? How articulate, interesting and progressive he is online and in media interviews?

It’s one thing if people want to argue that Eddie Kingston should never win the World Title because it suits his character to always fall at the last hurdle, I completely get that, but let’s not pretend he doesn’t otherwise tick every single box and is already one of their top stars. He’s arguably their greatest success story. Turns up on a random spot appearance and ends up going on the run of a lifetime.

Also, big shout out for using Kofi winning the title in WWE as a some type of negative example. Kofi winning the belt was legitimately one of the best things from any company in the last decade, and will likely go down in history as the last truly great thing WWE ever did. Eddie Kingston winning the AEW World Title in New York City would be as great, if not better.

He’s a good upper carder but he’s no main eventer. Kofi was a good moment, but he should never have been in that moment and never screamed main eventer. And was knocked down and never near to that spot again after he lost it. Main eventers carry themselves better than that. So way to agree on my point there. it’s mania-moment pish wanting Eddie winning in New York, his win should be big enough for anywhere, not his area code