AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

It would be an easy enough set up. HOOK does one of his usual backstage interviews. He walks off and camera pans to Hobbs & Starks waiting in the wings, "We need to talk". Hobbs swats the camera away fades to black.

Can go off in different directions. A build to HOOK v. Team Taz or as a means to kinda turn Team Taz. I'm sure TK is crunching the numbers on a HOOK/Team Taz v. OC & Best Friends, Death Triangle. or House of Black.

or the dream team of HOOK & Wardlow managed by Danhausen v. Team Taz to break the internet.

3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Is Hook injured or something? They’ve kind of squandered the guy.

I don’t think not wrestling in 3 weeks is squandering. He’s had interview segments to keep him seen. Story was he got hurt in the match with the new Japan young boy 

2 minutes ago, Louch said:

I don’t think not wrestling in 3 weeks is squandering. He’s had interview segments to keep him seen. Story was he got hurt in the match with the new Japan young boy 

It’s not just the last three weeks, though. When he had his debut match, he was incredibly over, and they didn’t really capitalise on that. Then they stumbled into the delight that was Hookhausen, and appear to have dropped that too. They took quite some time to give him his Dynamite debut, and when they did, they didn’t really capitalise on it.

Hook has done well with everything he’s been given - the QT Marshall feud was great fun, and Hookhausen was also brilliant - but I think they’ve missed some very obvious opportunities to just run with someone who has momentum, and the crowd, on his side. 

He spoke a few words on Rampage a few weeks ago and it probably shouldn't happen again for a long time. Poor combination of being soft spoken and not having very good natural timing.

The obvious thing would have been a good few weeks more of odd couple segments between him and Danhausen. It does strike me too that his momentum has dropped way off. 

He's wrestled a grand total of 10 matches since he debuted back in December. His matches have been roughly paced out to once a month. Still on track for a July appearance as hadn't heard about an injury.

Thought it's more about overprotection to prevent overexposure. Fear of killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

15 hours ago, Nick James said:

One thing AEW does fantastically, is make me care about wrestlers I haven't given a shit about in the past. I hated FTR in WWE, they're my favourite thing in wrestling at the moment. Never been a fan of Punk, but I get it now, Hager is another, I wouldn't say I'm a massive fan, but, I don't see him as Jack Swagger and he plays the quiet muscle role very well. 

Moxley is probably the main one, hated Dean Ambrose, hated his stupid swagger and pretending to constantly chew invisible gum, yet now, I don't think he could do wrong in my eyes. Moxley does go full force in every match, but surely the storyline for that, is for his opponent to mirror, if not, go bigger than Mox to get the win. 

Sure, there have been a few misses with the debuts and people not really doing anything of note, but when they get it right, they REALLY get it right. 

With you here re FTR and Mox. Took me up until recently to really start to like Mox. He was never for me at all, for the same reasons you gave, but he's got massive star quality now and it's so good to see him having such a good time as well. 

FTR are cracking aren't they? To be honest, with that theme music I'd mark out for anyone, but missed them tonight, albeit with a fantastic main event.

Genuinely now, Is there a single person who watched this week's Dynamite who thought - "Kyle O'Reilly would have made that show better"? 

Edited by adjarrell

• Paid Members

The thing with Hook is it's still not entirely clear if he can actually have a decent proper back and forth match with someone. They've done a great job with him so far but if he's still too green to go toe to toe with the established main roster then they're limited with what they can do with him.

7 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

The thing with Hook is it's still not entirely clear if he can actually have a decent proper back and forth match with someone. They've done a great job with him so far but if he's still too green to go toe to toe with the established main roster then they're limited with what they can do with him.

His match with QT Marshall suggests to me that he absolutely can. Plus, the same accusation could have been thrown at Jade Cargill - however, to say she learned on the job would be an understatement. If someone has the kind of momentum Hook had (twice) I think you just need to go for it. Regardless of his experience level, I just don't believe that with the level of worker they have in AEW, it isn't possible for him to have a run of strong matches/feuds. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

His match with QT Marshall suggests to me that he absolutely can.

Worth bearing in mind that QT is Hook's trainer. Not like he was wrestling just anyone. 

I love Hook but I have no clue what the limit is or where he can go. With the incredible matches happening weekly in AEW if he can't work near that level he's going to flounder. Time will tell I suppose.