AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

• Paid Members

Even by my own low standards/expectations for Rampage that last episode was absolutely rotten. If you look at the sheer number of wrestlers who either didn't have matches or were relegated to Dark: Elevation for that taping it's absolutely shocking that this is the card they went with. It would take about 30 seconds to put together a better show. In fact, I'll give it a go:

- Keep the Danielson/Garcia segment.

- Put Dante Martin against Takeshita. They have a great match, Martin gets good reps against an experienced opponent, Martin the hometown hero goes over the departing beloved babyface Takeshita who shows Martin respect after the match.

- Keep Beardhausen vs Ass Boys but Beardhausen go over. They seem to be running a Billy Gunn is unhappy with his sons story so it makes sense for them to lose, also gives them more motivation to be turned against him by Stokely Hathaway. Them winning the week after losing a Dumpster match while the winners The Acclaimed are stuck on Dark that week makes little sense from a booking standpoint.

- Scrap that bullshit with HOOK and the reality star. Thrown in the obligatory womens match - make it a 5 minute sprint between SHIDA and Emi Sakura or something. SHIDA hasn't been on TV for ages, it'd be nice to see her back. The fans love her.

- It's time for the main event: Sammy Guevara vs Ortiz. They don't seem to have much interest in using Ortiz as anything more than a background character doing run ins but this would be a decent little match with some story behind it. Throw Kingston on commentary for additional fun. Sammy wins by Tay interference. Kingston run him off. Everyone goes home happy and no one has to watch any of the Trustbusters.

Give me a whole 5 minutes and I could come up with 5 different versions of Rampage with completely different matches and segments which would be better. There's no excuse for that last episode with the roster they have at their disposal. 

Edited by LaGoosh

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

The weird thing is that any time Tony talks about Rampage he's always talking about how important it is etc, but he seems to forget that as soon as he actually has to write the show.

This is what happens to pretty much all pro-wrestling B-shows. Thunder went the same way. When WWE launched Main Event and shows like that, the first few weeks would have big matches but they inevitably lost interest and now those shows are where careers go to die. Even Smackdown was very obviously a B-show until it moved to Fox.

Edited by 69MeDon

It was an easy enough show to dislike, but it's one that's pulling at threads of the wider booking if completely replaced.

1. Trustbusters being highlighted and goes into the Trios tournament match against the Best Friends
  2. Danielson and Garcia hyping the 2/3 falls match
  3. Sammy & Tay into the PPV match against Eddie, and might still have some involvement with Ruby Soho.
  4. Gunn Club and Daddy Ass having a disagreement, leading into another tag match next week. Stokely Hathaway waiting in the wings ala Ethan Page & Lee Moriarty.
  5. The HOOK/reality TV star guy having a match. Jersey Shore is still a thing it seems.
  6. Promos for the Private Party v. Swerve & Lee match. Which might tie into a RUSH & Andrade title defense.

5 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Give me a whole 5 minutes and I could come up with 5 different versions of Rampage with completely different matches and segments which would be better. There's no excuse for that last episode with the roster they have at their disposal. 

Enlighten us: how many successful wrestling shows have you booked and how many years consistently did you manage to do so?

• Paid Members

If only those with direct experience in the field are allowed to express opinions on things then we should probably put an end to this whole discussion forum lark. It's been a good run lads. Also LaGoosh famously booked Smoky Mountain Wrestling from 1991 -1995. Also an on screen personality and successful manager. Used to hit people with a tennis racket. Pretty sure it was LaGoosh. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

I saw it noted that Rampage is a year old. I know it's not an exact science to put them side by side, but look at the fucking state of this week's show compared to a year ago.

Kenny Omega (c) vs. Christian Cage for the Impact World Championship

Miro (c) vs. Fuego Del Sol for the AEW TNT Championship

Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. (c) vs. Red Velvet for the AEW Women's World Championship

vs.

Parker Boudreaux vs. Sonny Kiss

Sammy Guevara and Tay Melo vs. Dante Martin and Skye Blue

Gunn Club (Austin and Colten Gunn) vs. Beardhausen (Danhausen and Erick Redbeard)

Orange Cassidy vs. Ari Daivari

Smackdown on Fox turns into Metal on Sky One.

*Note; I'm allowed to talk about what a pile of shit Rampage has turned into because I booked a very successful pro-wrestling promotion for years, until TNN turned out to be the worst TV partner imaginable and I fancied commentating on Raw instead. Stephanie McMahon was a better owner, anyway.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Note; I'm allowed to talk about what a pile of shit Rampage has turned into because I booked a very successful pro-wrestling promotion for years, until TNN turned out to be the worst TV partner imaginable and I fancied commentating on Raw instead. Stephanie McMahon was a better owner, anyway.

I knew it!

12 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I saw it noted that Rampage is a year old. I know it's not an exact science to put them side by side, but look at the fucking state of this week's show compared to a year ago.

Kenny Omega (c) vs. Christian Cage for the Impact World Championship

Miro (c) vs. Fuego Del Sol for the AEW TNT Championship

Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. (c) vs. Red Velvet for the AEW Women's World Championship

vs.

Parker Boudreaux vs. Sonny Kiss

Sammy Guevara and Tay Melo vs. Dante Martin and Skye Blue

Gunn Club (Austin and Colten Gunn) vs. Beardhausen (Danhausen and Erick Redbeard)

Orange Cassidy vs. Ari Daivari

Smackdown on Fox turns into Metal on Sky One.

*Note; I'm allowed to talk about what a pile of shit Rampage has turned into because I booked a very successful pro-wrestling promotion for years, until TNN turned out to be the worst TV partner imaginable and I fancied commentating on Raw instead. Stephanie McMahon was a better owner, anyway.

First Dance match wise had

• Jurassic Express v. Private Party
  • Jade Cargill (green as grass pet project) v. Kiera Hogan
  • Jon Moxley v. Daniel Garcia (a nobody to most people at that point)

3rd episode

• Lucha Bros v. Jurrasic Express
  • Bunny v. Tay Conti
  • Christian & Kaz v. Omega & Cutler

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Zaheer said:

Enlighten us: how many successful wrestling shows have you booked and how many years consistently did you manage to do so?

Is this the first time you've heard anyone criticize anything?

Edited by LaGoosh