Whats the stupidest argument you’ve had with someone ?

RancidPunx

15 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

A couple of weeks ago I spent the day before my wedding arguing with my Dad because he refused to go for a meal at an Italian restaurant as he thought pasta was "pointless". 

Is he a supply teacher by any chance and appears at the end of this?

I was at the playground with my eldest a few years ago, and there were two young lads there having a very heated argument about whether a boat was the same thing as a ship. They're the same in so far as they're both methods of transport that involve going across water, but are they the same-same?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

A couple of weeks ago I spent the day before my wedding arguing with my Dad because he refused to go for a meal at an Italian restaurant as he thought pasta was "pointless". 

Haha I love that one. Have heard "why would I order pasta? I can make that at home" before.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

My uneducated take would be that the combination 1 through 7 being drawn is just as likely from a statistical standpoint as any other combination. It’s just seven balls from a pool of whatever the Lottery uses these days.

So I think there would be two events you’d be looking at the possibilities here. What is the possibility of getting 1–7 (or any other run of numbers)? The same as drawing any other combination. But the chance of drawing a run like that versus the chance of drawing a spaced-out run of numbers is lesser, because there are far more non-sequential combinations as there are sequential combinations.

Park life.

• Paid Members

The probability question reminds me of another one that’s likely to be familiar with many players of mobile games, concerning “drop rates” e.g. loot crates/chests/crystals etc than have a % chance to win particular content.

People getting irate that if the chance is 10% they don’t get the content on the 10th crystal and claiming the “drop rate” is a lie. Well…. no, that’s not how it works. Just like the chance of heads or tails is 50% but if you toss the coin twice you aren’t guaranteed tails just because the previous toss was heads. If you open 9 crystals without success but the 10th always gives you the content that means your “chance” has improved to 100%…. except it hasn’t, it’s 10%, just as with the previous 9 attempts.

Not sure if I strayed a little from “stupid arguments” to “stupid people” but there you go.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, air_raid said:

The probability question reminds me of another one that’s likely to be familiar with many players of mobile games, concerning “drop rates” e.g. loot crates/chests/crystals etc than have a % chance to win particular content.

People getting irate that if the chance is 10% they don’t get the content on the 10th crystal and claiming the “drop rate” is a lie. Well…. no, that’s not how it works. Just like the chance of heads or tails is 50% but if you toss the coin twice you aren’t guaranteed tails just because the previous toss was heads. If you open 9 crystals without success but the 10th always gives you the content that means your “chance” has improved to 100%…. except it hasn’t, it’s 10%, just as with the previous 9 attempts.

Not sure if I strayed a little from “stupid arguments” to “stupid people” but there you go.

A lot of games do give you an increased percentage chance with each consecutive unsuccessful drop these days.

• Paid Members

I guess it's the difference between an [x] in [y] drop rate, and actual percentage odds of something happening. If there's a 1 in 10 drop rate it means you should get at least 1 of these, ideally not damaged, in every 10 attempts to get one. I think this is more to try and sell the loot boxes in bulk though, ie if you buy a pack of 10 they guarantee at least 1 premium item.