Anyone used Cameo before (or other celebrity video service)?

dopper

For my mate's 40th birthday I got him a Cameo from Bret Hart.

On the app you can view other videos done previously by each celebrity and Bret's all looked worthwhile, but I was still a bit wary about spending big money after seeing some by people like The Sandman who said "Yo, this is The Sandman. Have an extreme birthday ... (checks notes) ... John!" and was done inside 15 seconds.

I filled out the little request boxes and basically just gave my mate's name, the date he turns 40, mentioned he has been a fan ever since he attended Wembley for Bret's match against Davey Boy in 1992.

From that information Bret sent back a 90 second video in which he mentioned all of those details in addition to saying what a great and special person my mate is, and how much he appreciates the support Bret gets from long time fans like him. I felt like I got way more than my money's worth, it was great.

Has anybody else had any good or bad experiences using Cameo (or other places that do the same thing)?

I was going to get one from Ernie Hudson but by the time I got paid his price had tripled so never bothered.

I think it depends on whoever it is that you’re getting the video from. Sandman can barely string two words together so more fool anyone who gives him money, whereas Bret does what Bret has always done and gives it everything. 

A friend got me a birthday one from Mick Foley and it was pretty decent. About a minute and a half, they'd given him a few details and yeah he made a pretty good attempt to engage with them / make it feel special. He even acted like he'd listened to streamed music I'd been doing in lockdown.

It definitely helped that they "gave" it me in a group video chat (it was this years birthday which was peak lockdown) so there was a sense of it as a gift / reactions etc..

• Paid Members

I have gotten ones from Santino and Alistair Green, and bought an Alistair Green one for my wife. All of them were awesome with them obviously incuding the notes. My friend got one from Doug Jones who went about 5 minutes, really going into details of questions about Hocus Pocus (which is what they asked him to talk about). James Buckley's seem to be pretty good as well. I would say on the whole people on Cameo do actually want to do a good job, but some of the wrestlers seem to be real lazy, but in the case of someone like Buff or the aforementioned Sandman, it's probably also down to how healthy they are.

• Paid Members

I got one to share with my mates from Grandmaster Melle Mel. We hadn't been able to get together to watch hiphop documentaries since covid in a year. He cut a tremendous promo and ended it by telling my mate to fuck himself (by request). Couldn't have been happier.

Edited by DEF