Best Swerves

tiger_rick

The Raw after WM17, when HHH was apparently miffed with Vince for allying with Stone Cold, and it looked like he was going to interfere to help The Rock in the title rematch. i'd only been watching about 10 months at that point so I completely bought it. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Louch said:

Yeah the Heenan line spoiled nothing. At that point you’d have expected Hogan to be the good guy no matter what. Anyone claiming otherwise since is just trying to be too clever. The Brain always thought the worst of hogan so it was in no sense a giveaway before anyone knew what he’d do 

Line I find most cringe-worthy from that is when the Brain says "Do you see the Hulkmaniacs with tears in their eyes?" about five seconds after he turned.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Bollocks to the negative, Russo sux reappraisals of the Deadly Game tournament. It's a brilliant bit of Attitude Era television both as a standalone show and as a link in the chain that went from Breakdown 98 ("You don't have it anymore! It's mine") to WrestleMania XV ("It is Mr. McMahon's saddest day!"). You can point to blotches and inconsistencies in match quality and booking

It's great looking at Rock/Foley/Vince

The Austin side of things though has more holes than Swiss cheese though. Also wasn't this the start of the Undertaker slide after a blinding 98 into an awful 12 months of shite?

When you stop and think about the execution of this for one second, it doesn't make a great deal of sense - but this is the first "swerve" I ever saw as a fan, so I look back at it really fondly. I was absolutely shocked at the time, I didn't see it coming, and I was so desperate to find out what happens next, I actually searched online and found wrestling "newz" sites for the first time, and subsequently discovered that Smackdown taping spoilers were a thing. And that's how I found out what happened next, before immediately regretting spoiling the show for myself. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

It's great looking at Rock/Foley/Vince

The Austin side of things though has more holes than Swiss cheese though. Also wasn't this the start of the Undertaker slide after a blinding 98 into an awful 12 months of shite?

Yeah, this is my biggest take away in retrospect. I don't mind the crap matches that are quick and inoffensive but Taker/Kane is boring as shit. The Steve Austin stuff doesn't make sense but I can just about accept that Vince just really, really wanted to fuck with him.

2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

When you stop and think about the execution of this for one second, it doesn't make a great deal of sense - but this is the first "swerve" I ever saw as a fan, so I look back at it really fondly. I was absolutely shocked at the time, I didn't see it coming, and I was so desperate to find out what happens next, I actually searched online and found wrestling "newz" sites for the first time, and subsequently discovered that Smackdown taping spoilers were a thing. And that's how I found out what happened next, before immediately regretting spoiling the show for myself. 

This one reminded me of the Eric Angle swerve in the run up to Mania 19. Was reported everywhere that Kurt was fucked so they announced the match for Smackers and did a quick squash just to get the title off Kurt. Except it wasn't Kurt, it was Eric and Kurt got the cheap win and Mania happened as planned, with Lesnar then nearly killing himself on the night.

Not sure it's brilliant but I definitely fell for it hook, line and sinket.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Flair turning on Sting is never a swerve. It's like being surprised when the sun comes up.

Everyone used to turn on Sting. Sting getting turned on happened nearly as often as Lex turning on someone. They really shouldn’t have been friends. Blame the parents.

Edited by air_raid