The True Story of TWC - the World’s First 24/7 Wrestling TV Channel (Cultaholic Wrestling video)

herbie747

• Paid Members

The tape traders of the day were in uproar claiming this new channel was going to put them all out of business. The two guys behind Outcast Video (quality trader btw) in particular had a proper meltdown in a thread on here when plans for TWC were announced.

Any threats from any of the traders Herbie?

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Wretch said:

The tape traders of the day were in uproar claiming this new channel was going to put them all out of business. The two guys behind Outcast Video (quality trader btw) in particular had a proper meltdown in a thread on here when plans for TWC were announced.

At one stage, the tape of the [redacted] show was sent directly by [redacted] to the playout centre rather than processed by Herbie and co in their office in Dublin like all the other footage.

That lasted until one episode of [redacted] included an advert for a tape trader.

Loved TWC, was my gateway into ROH, which I've dipped in and out of over the subsequent decade plus, also allowed us to watch the weirdness from the early TNA weekly PPVs and I have the Liger, Curry Man, CZW and AJ Styles promos burnt in my brain. Much respect to you @herbie747 for having the balls to even attempt a project like this and thank you for the many hours of good shit that came from it

7 hours ago, Wretch said:

I have minimum sympathy for people who make money from breaching copyright when someone is doing it legitimately.

Congrats on all you have accomplished Herbie. Massive when you look back on it. Also the experience of producing LDN TV for it will always go down as a very useful experience when continuing my time in wrestling. 

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne

• Paid Members

Great memories of wasting many a day during the school summer holidays of 2004-2006 lying on the sofa watching TWC.  Introduced me to many companies, but oddly the one show besides TNA that I watched every week for years until it stopped airing was the weekly (not classic) Memphis wrestling show from the their tiny TV studio.

Echo the gratitude towards Herbie for making the dream of so many fans at that time a reality.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Wretch said:

lol nah, I've never even interacted with any of them. 

Edited by herbie747

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, JNLister said:

At one stage, the tape of the [redacted] show was sent directly by [redacted] to the playout centre rather than processed by Herbie and co in their office in Dublin like all the other footage.

That lasted until one episode of [redacted] included an advert for a tape trader.

Only 3 companies ever delivered direct to playout, I believe. 

Cage Warriors which was edited by Ian Dewhirst, which we never had an issue with. And I think maybe RQW did it too, and Mark Sloan may have edited some 1PW footage? I'm not 100% certain.

Do you remember who it was? You have some memory, John! 

Edited by herbie747

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, bbabba said:

Great memories of wasting many a day during the school summer holidays of 2004-2006 lying on the sofa watching TWC.  Introduced me to many companies, but oddly the one show besides TNA that I watched every week for years until it stopped airing was the weekly (not classic) Memphis wrestling show from the their tiny TV studio.

Echo the gratitude towards Herbie for making the dream of so many fans at that time a reality.

That Memphis stuff was fascinating. They'd have the contemporary one with Cory Macklin & Dave Brown on commentary followed by the Classic Memphis show hosted from what looked like Lawler's living room with Lawlerl and Jimmy Hart alongside Macklin & Brown hosting clips of those old Memphis shows. Usually featuring that ZZ Top video package for the Fabulous Ones. 

Ah, memories.  Finding TWC on the dial introduced me to its forums, and from there to this place so like a lot of people here it's responsible for the huge amount of time I've wasted watching, reading and arguing about wrestling, so thanks a lot @herbie747😀  What're you up to nowadays anyway, still working in telly?

I'd also argue that the channel was really influential on US wrestling as well - I'm sure it introduced a lot of visiting US wrestlers to the World Of Sport style, and the catch wrestling that had more or less disappeared by that point.  Whenever I see someone doing a handstand to get out of a legscissors on WWE TV, or similar, I always think that's one for TWC!

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Wretch said:

I absolutely love that. Put them out of business as if they were actual legitimate businesses rather than a few blokes with a couple of tape recorders in their bedrooms at their mums house.

Edited by LaGoosh

Absolutely remarkable story and incredible that Herbie pulled that off from a blank piece of paper.

I'll never forget Friendly TV putting on Cage Of Death at 10am on a weekday. 

Was also a bit of a mainstay on the old TWCF forums as an impressionable teenager. Good memories on there.

My TWCF run was also as an impressionable teenager, though I suspect we're far from the only ones in that regard. Nothing too bad though, certainly wasn't notorious or anything, just a little more outwardly naive compared to my present anonymity. I imagine I was quite keen for Paul London to be added to the WrestleMania XX main event. 

Those forums were hopping back in the day. Pretty sure the Big Brother thread saw more activity than this entire forum does in a week now. All those e-feds too.