The True Story of TWC - the World’s First 24/7 Wrestling TV Channel (Cultaholic Wrestling video)

herbie747

• Paid Members

Hi all - I haven't posted here in a few years, so I hope you've all been well!

Cultaholic Wrestling just did a video on The Wrestling Channel which I wanted to share here. They did a great job on research and the editing is top notch too.

Brings me back! 😃

That was a brilliant little watch. TWC was my gateway to independent wrestling, it introduced me to wrestlers like AJ Styles, Punk, Joe, Danielson etc, I have such fond memories of watching random TNA-NWA era PPV's at random times of the day and although many were not a fan of the later 'mma days' but I actually loved that as well, Apart from random late night Kickboxing on Channel 4, there was very little Non UFC content in the UK at the time.

Of course, hindsight is a wonderful thing; anything Alex Shane got his fingers in was doomed to fail and I have heard stories of certain UK promotions pocketing a lot of the budget that was given to them to produce shows, but hey- the business is only Professional in name.

It has a brilliant legacy though, all the reruns of World of Spot gave the internet the opportunity to archive much of the content!

Like a lot of moody teens whose parents got Sky, TWC was as much a part of my summer holidays as flicking between Scuzz, Kerrang and MTV2 endlessly.

It's a miracle that it actually happened, and was perfect for that era of indie wrestling where TNA, ROH and CZW sort of formed a combined spiritual successor to ECWs role as the alternative, pitted against the malaise of the Ruthless Aggression era. Though of course I frequently stayed up late for Raw and PPVs from 2004 - 2006 as well because it was still frequently brilliant. 

Blake Norton used to live in the same apartment building as me a few years afterward, actually. Never bothered striking up a chat with him but he used to walk by the window when we were on the dole watching Attitude Era vhs and snooker all fucking day in a haze so I'm sure he had us pegged as weird wrestling people. 

• Paid Members

I used to love watching TWC as well, especially when they had all the TNA shows on. I remember watching the three way between Joe, Styles & Daniels on there and the rest of that peak TNA era. Didn't it end up on Bravo briefly, and Virgin One after that? 

It got a bit weird when they had that Eastern European bikini girl paddling pool nonsense on late at night, but there was always quality stuff on during the day.

I also used to love when Mo Chatrah would turn up introducing the matches on the World Of Sport stuff.

• Paid Members

Discovered TWC when I was up at 4am one night feeding my new baby. Became our nightly tradition to watch it when they woke up. I think the first wrestler I saw on it was Christopher Daniels, and yet I still kept watching it anyway.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I also used to love when Mo Chatrah would turn up introducing the matches on the World Of Sport stuff.

Conversely I used to hate his dubbed intros on Noah and New Japan. Yuji Nagarrta etc.

• Paid Members

I totally forgot Noah was on there. I liked the title sequence with the CG ark.

Some of the World Of Sport stuff found its way to ITV4. I remember watching it every morning for the week I stayed at my Mum's after my stepdad passed away. 

• Paid Members

TWC was my gateway back into wrestling and finding something I've been in love with ever since. 

I'd watched it from a really young age where I'd stay up with my grandad who would switch off his golf and pretend to fall asleep (always claimed he hated it but you could see he was watching) but to find out at like the age of 11 that there was all this other wrestling apart from the WWE, watching classic WOS with names he knew and everything else that was on there was top. I think my Dad liked it as well as he could park me in front of the TV on a Sunday afternoon rather than have to take me down the local with him too.

I'll make sure to give the video a watch today but everytime I hear the words The Wrestling Channel I can't help but smile and think back to being young again.