The True Story of TWC - the World’s First 24/7 Wrestling TV Channel (Cultaholic Wrestling video)

herbie747

Absolutely amazing time to be a wrestling fan in the UK. Unfortunately I missed the launch day as I was in New York for Wrestlemania 20 if I have my dates remembered correctly.

To be able to watch ROH and CZW on TV when I'd only been able to get the shows via tape traders was unbelievable.

To be able to the actually have a match of mine shown on the channel was a mind blowing moment for me.

• Paid Members

I remember being insanely excited about this before it launched and for the first couple of weeks I watched a bit of everything. I ended up not being particularly fussed with much of the output, but I would usually chuck it on if nothing else was on instead of flicking through the music channels. I was fascinated with CMLL, but it didn't last too long. It introduced me to World of Sport wrestling, which from the brief mentions in Power Slam, I'd been lead to believe was crap, but it shat on Ring of Honor and the like. Shoot interviews were the main thing I watched probably, getting a great peak behind the curtain while marvelling that something so low quality could make broadcast television. 

It's main legacy for me though was the forum, which I joined at some point in 2004. I had a great time there, made some online friends and some of us washed up here when the forums closed. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Of course, hindsight is a wonderful thing; anything Alex Shane got his fingers in was doomed to fail

Whats does the general dislike for Alex Shane stem from then? genuine question.

Ive been on here forever so always catch pieces of business involving Shane, but ive never really got into the whole BritWres scene outside of casually checking in and attending the odd show.

• Paid Members

Noah on TWC is the only time I've ever really given a shit about Japanese wrestling. A combination of the accessibility making it something we could all watch and discuss, the presentation and then the matches, particularly anything with Jun Akiyama and Kenta Kobashi in 2004, being incredible. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Of course, hindsight is a wonderful thing; anything Alex Shane got his fingers in was doomed to fail 

TWC had nothing to do with Alex Shane though. He helped us run and book International Showdown in 2005 and did a great job. That was his only involvement besides being part of the FWA, which we aired. He also introduced us to the guys at Cage Warriors which we ended up airing. And I think he was involved with RQW (with Len Davies) too, which was on the channel for a brief period.

I've had a few dealings with Alex Shane over the years and they've all been positive. But of course, that's just my personal experience. 🙂

Edited by herbie747

To me it was such a great time to be a fan. Wrestling for me seemed to grow and change as I grew older and my interests changed. I was young in the early 90s and the cartoony family fun of early 90s WWF was my favourite thing to watch. As I grew out of that we got the attitude era which was the coolest thing to watch for a kid my age. Then come the 2000s, I started attending local shows, visiting forums, watching stuff from the Indies and that, and my fandom went to new levels.

And at that time The Wrestling Channel came along, and it was great to feel like a 'smart' fan, and to meet other people my age who thought of themselves 'smart' fans. The excitement involved in watching some of TWCs shows, even the Bagpipe Report, and talking to my mates about it in person or on forums, was a different experience for me as a fan. Good times

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members

So many positive memories tbh.

There was a lot of stuff I never watched, particularly the Japanese stuff, but I loved the original MLW and was hooked on TNA. I was also a fan of the Bagpipe Report, for as long as it lasted. I'm sure there were a few RF interviews too?

Its just a shame, looking back, that the channel started when general interest in wrestling was on the wane. But of course, pre-digital TV it wouldn't have been a go'er anyway.

TWC will forever remind me of this promo though!

Edited by garynysmon

I like how Alex Shane is playing the drums in the CZW one for some reason.

It's weird looking back but I feel like I took TWC for granted in some ways. Like I thought I'd watch way more of it than I did. And now I think I'd have been more interested in the CMLL, GAEA and NOAH options than I was then. 

It's also that period of time when it felt like all online wrestling fans were desperately looking for any kind of alternative to latch on to. As much as people bang on about the tribal nature of WWE and AEW fans, it felt like a lot of fans felt like that about CZW, ROH, FWA and TNA at that time, even though I've always wondered how much everyone was actually watching of them.