Today I Learned (Wrestling Edition)

Carbomb

TIL that Terry Funk tried to get Eddie Guerrero a job as a stuntman for Sylvester Stallone in the late 80's/early 90's (but it never panned out).

Funk got Eddie that very entertaining WCW squash match with him in '89 and lobbied to get him a full-time gig there after it, too, telling everyone that he would be the most talented of all the Guerreros.

Source: September 4th, 2006 edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Just now, Merzbow said:

I did nazi that coming, etc.

Since finding out he was a fash I've wondered how soon the WWF actually knew of it, didn't he have tattoos at the time?

I think even miserable Jim Ross found him a bit uneasy to be around. Apparently he was just a bit of a surly fucker. I'm always amazed to find he never got into a backstage scrap when he was there.

He looked double hard mind you. Terrible outfit.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where else to put it, but this seems appropriate.

Hulk Hogan turned 70 a couple of months ago.  70!  It's definitely one of those "I'm getting old moments", as it seems just yesterday he was returning to WWE and wrestling The Rock but that was 20 years ago.

Seen a picture or two, he looks in pretty good shape considering.  I was watching some awful interview he did, and he was talking about LA Knight, and he clearly still watches wrestling, he still has a passion for it - but unlike Flair he's not seemingly active at all any more, just running his Surf Shack and restaurant business down in Florida.

Now obviously I'm biased as I'm a huge Hogan fan, and I'm also admittedly giving him a fairly big pass for some shit he said many years ago, but I still wonder if he has any value, if WWE would ever entertain using him as a manager or on-air talent or something.  I just think it's a bit sad that the biggest star of all time turned 70, and seemingly has drifted into retirement, and it's not a big deal even in WWE.

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

I don't know where else to put it, but this seems appropriate.

Hulk Hogan turned 70 a couple of months ago.  70!  It's definitely one of those "I'm getting old moments", as it seems just yesterday he was returning to WWE and wrestling The Rock but that was 20 years ago.

Seen a picture or two, he looks in pretty good shape considering.  I was watching some awful interview he did, and he was talking about LA Knight, and he clearly still watches wrestling, he still has a passion for it - but unlike Flair he's not seemingly active at all any more, just running his Surf Shack and restaurant business down in Florida.

Now obviously I'm biased as I'm a huge Hogan fan, and I'm also admittedly giving him a fairly big pass for some shit he said many years ago, but I still wonder if he has any value, if WWE would ever entertain using him as a manager or on-air talent or something.  I just think it's a bit sad that the biggest star of all time turned 70, and seemingly has drifted into retirement, and it's not a big deal even in WWE.

What are the crowds like for him these days? In the few times I remember seeing him pop up, they seem to shit all over him.

6 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

What are the crowds like for him these days? In the few times I remember seeing him pop up, they seem to shit all over him.

Good question!  They were definitely cold on him for a few years.  Difficult to tell with WWE crowd sweetening, but here's his last appearance - 

They booed his mic not working but otherwise seemed pretty keen on him.

To me, he's the most fascinating character in wrestling history.  Wasn't there a film about him coming out at some point?  Seems to have  never happened.

Edited by Loki

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Wasn't there a film about him coming out at some point?  Seems to have  never happened.

This was the last thing I remember reading:

https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/05/chris-hemsworth-hulk-hogan-biopic-scrapped-netflix-glitch-19612766/

I'm sure if/when it gets made, he'll be out there like Ric Flair with his WOO drinks.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Loki said:

Hogans birthday being in August is one of those facts my weird brain will always remember because Luger sent a message to “the birthday boy” on the Nitro after Road Wild in 97. Mad to think the WWF of the time would have you think he was several years past his best at the age of 44 despite their own champ Bret Hart being 40 at the same time. And juxtaposed to today where WWE and fans alike are positively fizzing over the return of 45 year old CM Punk.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

yeah, it's not a QAnon thing as I've seen suggested elsewhere, but it is just daft pseudoscience stuff. I'll extend him some courtesy as a recovering alcoholic, that whatever helps him get through day-to-day is probably fine.

But also, I love Jeff Jarrett as a worker, and love listening to him talk shop, but he's a Southern bloke in his late '50s, I don't expect our politics to align to say the least, and he's a wrestler from the '80s and '90s, so he probably has a Ray Harryhausen army of skeletons in his closet.

I've been reading David Shoemaker's "Squared Circle" history of wrestling, and I never realised that the Goldust character, as well as being a dig at Dusty Rhodes, was also a reference to the Goldust Trio promoters that ran New York area in the 20s and 30s.  One of those trio was Toots Mondt who ended up working for WWWF until his death in 76, so Vince knew and worked with Toots.

Toots Mondt also basically invented a lot of the basics of modern pro wrestling - bodyslams, lock ups and so on.  Fascinating chap.

• Paid Members
On 12/15/2023 at 12:28 PM, DavidB6937 said:

This was the last thing I remember reading:

https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/05/chris-hemsworth-hulk-hogan-biopic-scrapped-netflix-glitch-19612766/

I'm sure if/when it gets made, he'll be out there like Ric Flair with his WOO drinks.

'Glitch'. He really is a stupid old pathological lying cunt. Chris Hemsworth has reduced his workload because he discovered that a strong likelihood of developing Alzheimer's exists in his gene pool.