Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

• Paid Members

I went to the North version a few years back and I had no issues there. We shuttle bussed it in from the center and it was all smooth sailing, the site was great too. I see mad complaints every year about the Festivals though, both North and South. I must have just got lucky.

Just back from Slam Dunk in Leeds. Was muddy but nowhere near as bad as the year Y not got cancelled on day 2. I've spent the last 20 minutes picking dried mud out of my leg hair though so take that as you will.

Not seen a bad band all day. Probably 8th time seeing Mad Caddies and they were untouchable, just a really intense set, big block of classics, couple off Keep It Going, couple of new ones and their cover of She by Green Day. Gutted I've dropped the setlist I got somewhere on the site.

H2O's set today was life-affirning. Just a great atmosphere, set full of singalong bangers and off they went, no messing.

On a festival related note, albeit one considerably less muddy, I did both days of the excellent Portals at EarTH in Dalston over the weekend. Although the lineup didn't feel as diverse style wise as last year with a lot of the acts feeling quite samey (I know that's always going to be the case to some degree at a festival like this where it's designed around a specifc sub-genre but it missed someone like Human Pyramid to change things up a bit), and there were issues with the food queue getting out of hand at busier points (which, to their credit, they accepted and looked to improve on the second day with noticably more staff in the kitchen), it was still a really enjoyable two days in a decent venue with decent beer and a really good atmosphere. Best bands of the weekend for me were Year Of No Light and MØL (who, despite being stuck on in an amphitheatre at 23:00 on Saturday after This WIll Destroy You, absolutely killed it) with Standards, Din of Celestial Birds and Arabat also being very good. Well worth the money and shall be looking at going again next year when my knees will hopefully have recovered from all the stairs and standing.

The weekened was also a really good test of the new hi-fidelity earplugs I bought, which worked like a dream over the whole weekend and left me without any more than the usual level of ringing in my ears at bedtime despite being in for about 8/9 hours each day (Sennheiser SoundProtex Plus if anyone is interested - no, i'm not getting commision). Sound quality was really good and much better than the cheap Vibes ones I bought before that turned everything into an annoying buzz once it got above a certain volume.    

• Paid Members

Alabama 3 last night, at the New Cross Inn. I'd been reluctant to see them since D-Wayne died, as he's such a big part of my favourite songs of theirs and I couldn't really picture them without him, but between the last album being great and this being a stripped down acoustic gig made me give them a go, and I'm really glad that I did. 

Just a really fun, joyous constant singalong of a night out. An absolutely brilliant band.

Supersonic just announced the day splits for this year, I'm definitely going on Saturday and will try to get there for Friday, too.

It's always a lovely atmosphere there, easily the most inclusive heavy music festival I've been to.

spacer.png

• Paid Members

Not quite in the spirit of this thread, but I'm gigging (part of a duo) at the Crouch End Arts Festival in a couple of weeks, and I'm really excited for it. You know how there are days that stay in your memory forever because they were just perfect? That was what it was last year - the music event took place in the grounds of St. Mary's Tower, a beautiful little garden in the middle of a small park. Flawless summer weather - not a cloud to be seen, lovely and warm but not too hot, and lots of incidental attendees listening in from all the picnics there. I was really proud of that gig; we got a good reaction, my voice felt on good form, and quite a few friends showed up too.

The guy who organised the festival had also played a blinder: he'd sorted a deal with the Italian restaurant across the road for them to have a trolley selling beers by the gig venue, and also taking orders for pizza to be delivered to the customers in the park.

With the bar set that high, I'm managing my expectations this time around, but it's hard not to look forward to it. If the weather's good, that's all I'll need.

I popped this in the children's thread but similarly my eldest joined a band recently, auditioned for our local festival and they got picked. Headlined by Scouting For Girls!!! but we all know the real slot is that 12-1pm one, and Mum and I will be front and centre crying. 

They've got 3x covers and an original, but my request for them to play Raining Blood was deemed "un-village-like" 

I cannot wait.

I posted a whole back about getting accessible tickets at Manchester Academy for Frank Turner, and how the venues had few provisions for accessibility. The example being at Bowling For Soup / Less Than Jake their family members were “Up in the balcony” which is the accessible tickets space so disabled people had to make way. Well I managed to get tickets for the Dropkick Murphys and the woman who helped was brilliant. 

The way they do it is you buy a ticket and then apply for a free companion tickets and if they’re all gone you get a refund on the ticket you bought. She said I can fill out the forms to be added to the database so it’s straightforward for future gigs. She said that only 2 of the 50 spaces had been taken so I should be ok. And indeed we were as they confirmed. 

Don’t want to appear ungrateful but 50 spaces for the disabled (of which half could be taken by carers) for a 2,500 venue isn’t much. And of course they’re right at the back. Might email venues and ask what their capacity for accessibility tickets is. I get it’s a business and a tough one at that though, but as is often the case, it does feel like tokenism. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Scouting For Girls!!!

Was at a stag do at Butlins a few months back (unfortunately didn't get around to trying their breakfast for the fry-up thread, so @waters44 is still the expert there) and Scouting For Girls were playing the one night. I'll be honest, they were a lot of fun. Shit songs, obviously, but they really got the audience going and were just a good time. They did a cover of Nobody Does It Better which went down a storm with me. The ale probably helped.

10 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

North West Calling in Manchester for me tomorrow.

Buzzcocks, Cockney Rejects & Rezillos at the top of bill and a couple of my favourites, Gimp Fist & Wonk Unit on the bill too.

Good price for an all dayer too! Wouldn’t mind seeing Spear Of Destiny. 

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Liam Gallagher for me tomorrow at the Sheffield Arena.

Sorry lads.

Same. My 15 year old son is obsessed with Oasis at the moment and it'll be his first proper gig so well worth the ticket price to experience it with him.

I'm off to Berlin next week for both nights of NOFX's final tour. Also can't wait to see the Descendents supporting on the Saturday who I've only seen once before and didn't really know much by at the time. 

It's in the courtyard of an old castle and I've built in a couple of days around it too so well excited.