Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Saw them headline at Download in 2019, which I think was the last gig I attended. Absolutely phenomenal and I said at the time that I’d be there in a heartbeat for a tour.
On reflection I’ll decide once I know how much tickets are. I didn’t buy Fear Inoculum (pretty much exclusively a streamer now, only buy my absolute favourite bands) because the CD was ludicrously expensive. They’re one of my favourite bands but I won’t be taken advantage of

i imagine Tool tickets are gonna be up around the £100 mark. Its band ive never really given time too though, i should really.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

saw the Tiger Lilies at Wilton's Music Hall on Saturday, doing a tribute to Cole Porter. The venue was phenomenal - a knackered old Victorian music hall with paint peeling off the walls, lovely stuff - and the best possible setting for the Tiger Lilies

First time I saw them I didn’t know what they looked like. I was sat in the front row and was genuinely scared at times! Fantastic band. Haven’t seen PSB in a few years but they’ve always delivered a brilliant show. And if Nick and Woz are on the form they were at the Manchester gig, you’re in for a treat!

2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

That’s what I’m thinking and why I’m prepared to be letdown. Even KISS don’t charge triple figures and they’re all about fleecing the fans at every opportunity 

The Birmingham Arena site has them listed to be from £52 to £100 when they go on sale.

https://www.resortsworldarena.co.uk/whats-on/tool/

2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Was it the last UK tour they did the one where Maynard performed behind a curtain and could only be seen by silhouette?

I do remember reading about that happening but I not sure about the timeframe. The last proper tour here was 2006 I believe

@The Curious Orange cheers for the heads up, but yeah I’ll be leaving it. I’m not paying £53 plus fees to sit in the nosebleeds. I’ll stick to Festival Day Tickets were you at least get a full days undercard with it.

For anyone that is considering it though, Blonde Redhead and The Acid Helps have been announced as the support acts. They’ve also confirmed a date in Dublin for May 5th

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 9/27/2021 at 12:04 PM, Keith Houchen said:

And if Nick and Woz are on the form they were at the Manchester gig, you’re in for a treat!

They were fantastic! I actually got a bit emotional - I've been a Nick Cave fan for around 20 years, and still really clearly remember hearing "God Is In The House" for the first time and just being immediately won over, the next day rushing out to buy the album. It wasn't a song I'd have expected them to play at all, so when they did it really got to me. Got a bit teary at a solo piano rendition of "Into Your Arms", and a couple of the songs from Skeleton Tree too.

Nick was in good form, a lot chattier with the audience than expected, a few naff jokes thrown in. Warren Ellis was a great mix of being a superb musician and seemingly just dicking around and amusing himself - I've seen Dirty Three live a couple of times, so wasn't my first time seeing him, but still great. The Cave/Ellis set-up is great in that it highlights how good Warren Ellis is, rather than relegating him to one of a backing band - so much so that I wonder how much the conventional Bad Seeds line-up has left in it; live, the songs from Ghosteen (an album I didn't really care for) made so much sense in this stripped down setting than with the full band.

As I pretty much expected, there were a lot of people grumbling as we left the theatre that he hadn't played enough old songs - apart from the ones I mentioned, he played "Henry Lee", but mostly stuck to the last couple of albums. I think for some of them, they'd have settled for nothing but "Red Right Hand", and he never played it. I felt like pointing out to all of them that it was expressly a Nick Cave & Warren Ellis gig, not a Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds one, so you can't really blame them for predominantly playing Nick Cave & Warren Ellis songs.

Shonen Knife gig this month has been cancelled, so unless anything comes up short notice, next two gigs are Perturbator and Richard Thompson, both next month, then that's probably me for the year.

• Paid Members

Ah, I must have either missed or forgotten about that one, as it wasn't me who booked the tickets. Another one to cross off the calendar, then!

Just remembered another potential one, though, as Martin Carthy is playing near me in December, at a venue I can get free tickets for, so that's tempting. If the Eliza Carthy gig earlier this year was anything to go by, I'll be dragging the average age of the audience down a few decades at that one.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I felt like pointing out to all of them that it was expressly a Nick Cave & Warren Ellis gig

I know what you mean! I was kinda hoping for some of their soundtrack work but certainly wasn’t disappointed with what they played. Waiting For You from Ghosteen was emotional. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Waiting For You from Ghosteen was emotional. 

yeah, that one really got to me - and I didn't expect it to because, as I said, I wasn't a fan of Ghosteen in general. In that setting and arrangement, it was really intense, though. 

There was also a point in the track Ghosteen, when he sang "Baby Bear he's gone, to the moon in a boat" that hit me harder than it ever did on record. It struck me that "Man On The Moon" by Grinderman was apparently about Cave's dad's death, and the line "daddy went away too soon, now he's living, on the moon" was meant to be about a child reconciling the loss of a parent, so the same metaphor being used for Cave talking about his son as well was heartbreaking. I don't even know if it was intentional.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Saw Idlewild on Friday play a 25th Anniversary show. Ive followed the band for close to the entire 25 years so this was pretty cool. No support, just a straight 2 hour, 27 song set.

A strange band in that they alienated a lot of their fanbase along the way so you always find the audience a mix of people who have stayed supportive and people who fell off once their sound changed and are there for the nostalgic kick of the old stuff. No doubting the strength of the set though, so many good tunes.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Saw Idlewild on Friday play a 25th Anniversary show. Ive followed the band for close to the entire 25 years so this was pretty cool. No support, just a straight 2 hour, 27 song set.

A strange band in that they alienated a lot of their fanbase along the way so you always find the audience a mix of people who have stayed supportive and people who fell off once their sound changed and are there for the nostalgic kick of the old stuff. No doubting the strength of the set though, so many good tunes.

Always liked Idlewild, although admittedly I haven't heard their latest stuff. Also liked Roddy Woomble's work with Kris Drever, John McCusker, and Heidi Talbot - the album Before The Ruin is gorgeous.

23 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Had a ticket for Sunday night but couldn’t be arsed schlepping up to London with a bit of a hangover to go to a gig on my own. Was in town for work yesterday and Roddy did this Q&A thing with a short acoustic set at the end, always interesting to hear him speak about the band and his thoughts on the creative process and such. 

• Paid Members

ahh yeah i saw that being advertised. Always find Roddy an interesting cat. I trudged through a bunch on podcasts featuring him recently.

They brought out the old bass player Bob in London and they played the debut ep. with the original 4 piece band Would loved to have seen that.