RIP Del Wilkes

The Reverend

Heard about how much he absolutely went off the rails and it was actually pretty interesting hearing him come out of it and get a few podcasts in (his one with Austin was good).

Had an amazing look didn't he. Just never saw much of him enough to judge how good he was. Is he a good example of what Austin would call a 'mechanic?'

• Paid Members

That's very sad news. I really enjoyed his brief run in 1997 in the WWF, and that's all I ever so him do, but he made more of a mark in those few months than several of the guys that are around today with 10+ years in the roster. 

He struggled hugely with painkiller addiction following the bad injuries he suffered that he tried to work through, particularly a bad tricep tear and knee injury if I'm remembering right. I heard him on a podcast a couple of years ago and he seemed like a really good bloke, open about his faults but trying to turn his life and health around.

In a way, I think he was surprised that he made it through his worst years alive. Maybe those extra years were all a bonus in that case, or maybe it's just as sad that having got through the worst, he didn't get to enjoy a long, happy retirement. 

RIP Del. 

• Paid Members

I've always had a soft spot for Del, he always seemed a nice guy and was the wrong man at the right time in the WWF with a gimmick that was never going to fly in 97, even with the Canada feud. 

Had he turned up 5 years earlier or 5 years later its a different story IMO. 

As WeeAl says IIRC he had to call it a day after a triceps tear in 97 and, after some personal issues with painkillers, ran a car dealership but always seemed grateful for his run, rather than being bitter about it like so many others. 

R.I.P Del Wilkes 

Always felt like mentioned above the gimmick would have worked better in a slightly different era, always seemed solid enough in the ring.

Thoughts go out to his friends and family 

As the last couple of posts have mentioned, he just seemed to come along at the wrong time for the WWF in 97, especially with Steve Austin on the rise

Ive seen little of him outside of that WWF run and some All Japan and WCW matches, but everything I saw of him he seemed very solid in ring. His tales of painkiller addiction on Austin’s podcasts are quite harrowing*, but he seemed to turn it around.

* depending how embellished those stories are, he is from ‘that generation’ of bullshitters after all

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I loved him in the WWF in 1997. That being said, from about March till the end of 1997 is my favourite period in wrestling so it may just be down to that. In a strange way I never considered him being out of place in the WWF at the time as was him as the perfect foil for the Hart Foundation America feud, but with hindsight he was out of place and a bit of a throwback to the WWF OF 1994/95.

I have not listened to the Podcasts (I will do though) so apologies if discussed in these but, did Del sell the Patriot gimmick to Tom Brandi? There seems to be conflicting reports about if he (Brandi) can use the Patriot name.

• Paid Members
Just now, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

I have not listened to the Podcasts (I will do though) so apologies if discussed in these but, did Del sell the Patriot gimmick to Tom Brandi? There seems to be conflicting reports about if he (Brandi) can use the Patriot name.

Brandi said yes, Wilkes said no and that he'd like to punch him in the face.