The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Lucien Favre is a very interesting appointment for Palace, what are your thoughts @Frankie Crisp? Far more exciting than 'Compaaaaact' Roy Hodgson.

More than happy, assuming the paperwork goes through; not just with him but how the board have gone about the appointment after the Nuno shambles. Palace of old would have panicked and brought the first available 2nd choice in. His style of play will fit our squad and he’s known to be good at bringing youth through. Given the investment in and output of our Academy, that’s really a good fit.

We’ve also got a load of players out of contract so he’ll hopefully get rid of the dirge, extend some of the valuable players’ terms and bring some new faces in so it’s a gradual change not a sudden overhaul.

His track record shows a good win ratio and given our managers over the last few years (Holloway, Pulis, Pardew, De Boer, Large Samuel and my Nan), it’ll be nice to see decent football and a manager who’s not a complete balloon. It’s been an either/or/neither since we came back up in 2013.

Anyway, van Aanholt’s leaving so when that’s confirmed I’m going on a dead Thatcher-level bender.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

This better finally be Leandro Damiao I swear to god.

Or Huntelaar. I still get shocked if a window passes without hearing him linked to Spurs.

They started with Poch, anyone else will be a let down now won’t they? I thought Nuno was a top manager in the making but he transformed in to Roy Hodgson this season. Obviously having your top striker out doesn’t help but they have some exciting attacking players.

He’d be a better fit for Everton I think, now they’ve soullessly used Rafa’s excellent name to lower expectations.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I thought Nuno was a top manager in the making but he transformed in to Roy Hodgson this season. Obviously having your top striker out doesn’t help but they have some exciting attacking players.

He is a top manager though, and last season was hugely affected by the loss of not only Raul, but Jonny too and also Boly suffering from Long Covid. We were in and about the top six and playing really well until that thug purposely headbutted Jimenez's skull in two. 

He was apparently affected by not having his family all season as they stay in Portugal and neither could visit the other.

I feel sorry for Nuno, he's just had his house build finished and just donated a quarter of a million to feeding Wolverhampton's poorer areas (imagine them!!!!) Then gets sacked.

I can see him getting the Portugal job.

7 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

He is a top manager though, and last season was hugely affected by the loss of not only Raul, but Jonny too and also Boly suffering from Long Covid. We were in and about the top six and playing really well until that thug purposely headbutted Jimenez's skull in two. 

He was apparently affected by not having his family all season as they stay in Portugal and neither could visit the other.

I feel sorry for Nuno, he's just had his house build finished and just donated a quarter of a million to feeding Wolverhampton's poorer areas (imagine them!!!!) Then gets sacked.

I can see him getting the Portugal job.

It was a good time to leave though, his stock is still high enough to get another good job. If he’d started next season how he ended this one he would have been sacked early on and tainted. At least he has legitimate reasons for the dirge his team served up last season and his reputation is somewhat intact.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

#NoToNuno is trending. Who do Spurs fans actually want as their manager?

Poch, Redknapp, Telly Vegetables or a cardboard replica of Bill Nick with a hidden tape recorder.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

It was a good time to leave though, his stock is still high enough to get another good job.

He didn't leave ... He was sacked, but yes it suits both parties in a way. Although you see those he was rumoured to go to, especially Everton and Spurs, and they've opposed the idea because they only remember that awful football Nuno served up last year.