The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

I mean you say it's embarrassing, but isn't this how most appointments are made? I.e. you ask certain interested parties and you have these discussions behind doors. For whatever reason the press are pushing this as part of their agenda to make Kane move.

There is nothing in the Sevilla article apart from the owner saying Lopetegui has used Spurs as a bargaining chip to get a new 2 year contract extension.

Has anyone revealed what it is that keeps turning these average-decent managers off the Spurs job? I don’t understand how a big fancy London club with good players can’t attract a half decent manager. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, stewdogg said:

I mean you say it's embarrassing, but isn't this how most appointments are made?

Not in respect of so many failed pursuits being made so public, no.

Conte was approached but said no, Spurs then wanted Poch and PSG told them where to go, the Fonseca appointment broke down when tax for his Roma role became an issue, they were then looking to appoint Gatusso until the fans pointed it out to them that it would be a very bad idea and now Sevilla have revealed an approach to Lopetegui has been rebuffed. The last one may have been nothing more than an enquiry, but the other four were definite approaches that for whatever reason haven't materialised. I can't think of a previous situation like this.

Edited by PunkStep

Should probably sound out Rafa now that it’s looking unlikely that he gets his retirement pay off from Everton in 8 months time. His legendary Chelsea status won’t be a problem as Spurs love an ex Chelsea manager.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Conte was approached but said no, Spurs then wanted Poch and PSG told them where to go

Another one for the hip-hop thread

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

the Fonseca appointment broke down when tax for his Roma role became an issue

Apparently with Fonseca transfer targets were agreed, preseason friendlies agreed and changes to the training ground were all ready to be implemented. Been rumoured that tax wasn't the issue, Spurs pulled out of the deal as Gatusso became available, and then that never even got off the ground.

Nuno's lurking though, and Spurs are on the Mendes carousel, they won't admit it, but they are.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Been rumoured that tax wasn't the issue, Spurs pulled out of the deal as Gatusso became available, and then that never even got off the ground

If that's genuinely true, then as underwhelming as Foseca's appointment would have been, this is fucking nuts.

14 hours ago, PunkStep said:

If that's genuinely true, then as underwhelming as Foseca's appointment would have been, this is fucking nuts.

It is Spurs after all!

I don't remember a managerial chase being so public. I'm not sure who is leaking it or why, but my original point is wouldn't we speak to all these different managers and (possibly) make the same decisions without it being so publicised.

As someone mentioned above, why we can't attract a decent manager is a worrying issue. We have arguably the nicest stadium (probably too nice if you're an away side), and one of the best training grounds. We have some amazing players who probably don't need a great deal of coaching, and surely we must have some money that we can spend. Currently it all adds up to another nail in the Kane coffin.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, stewdogg said:

I'm not sure who is leaking it or why, but my original point is wouldn't we speak to all these different managers and (possibly) make the same decisions without it being so publicised.

Yeah that's the thing. This might happen more often and we just don't know about it. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle perhaps- there are certainly approaches that aren't made public until years later (like when Wenger lists the approaches made to him over the years in his book), but I think these days so much is made public and leaks are the norm, especially as a bargaining tool and just like with politicians to get a feel of the public response first.

Lucien Favre is a very interesting appointment for Palace, what are your thoughts @Frankie Crisp? Far more exciting than 'Compaaaaact' Roy Hodgson.

I’m surprised Brendan Rodgers hasn’t publicly turned down Spurs yet. Either he doesn’t want to burn any potential bridges down the line or they haven’t approached him which would be mad as he’s Spurs as fuck. Ex Chelsea affiliation, plays nice football, likes to develop players, loves a bottle job. I know it’s sweet for him at Leicester but it’s Spurs, surely he’d be interested.