The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

On 1/3/2022 at 4:58 PM, PunkStep said:

Everton fans are the strangest aren't they? They're all giving Balague's new book a one star rating because he's mates with Rafa. Weirdos. 

Interesting story from Grae though about Gollum and Rafa having their first kiss. Tolkien never came up with such ideas.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Well fucking hell. 

Also, Trippier to Newcastle. I'm sure there is some get out clause for him for when they go down.

He'll be used to championship football from his time at Burnley. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, stumobir said:

All that talk of them being the new Man City and their first signing is Kieran fucking Trippier. You love to see it. 

It gets better- they are looking at Todd Cantwell next. The same Todd Cantwell that can't get into the worst team in the Premier League.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

He'll be used to championship football from his time at Burnley. 

Eh?

They were never likely to be able to get too many top tier names in this January, need to stay up first and Trippier is a decent signing and coming in relatively cheap which with everyone knowing their situation is a bonus for them. Definitely the sort of player Newcastle need during this window.

Trippier's leagues better than our other full backs, wants to be closer to home, is a la Liga winner and a highly ranked international.

He's also a proof of concept. Tellingly since Trippier was unveiled, Sven Botman has changed his tune and is now publicly courting a transfer. That's one of the big ones for us, we need at least two good CB's. 

I haven't talked to one Newcastle fan that legit thinks we're getting M'bappe level signings in the next two windows, but everyone else keeps telling us that's what we're after. We know there's a bigger chance of us going down than the alternative, but hopefully we can make it interesting.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, stumobir said:

All that talk of them being the new Man City and their first signing is Kieran fucking Trippier. You love to see it. 

It's a building process though, surely? Nobody realistically thought they were going out and bringing the top players in the world in yet. Trippier is a good signing and a good player and a clear upgrade on what they've got.

Ultimately I hope they fail absolutely miserably but for the time being it's a good start.

• Paid Members

I’m being flippant, it’s not a bad signing at all, just amusing it’s announced the same day Villa land a name like Coutinho, albeit on loan.  
Ditto, I can’t wait to see them go down, although a bit shit for other Championship teams watching them come down with parachute + blood money. 

6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Well fucking hell. 

Also, Trippier to Newcastle. I'm sure there is some get out clause for him for when they go down.

Rubber stamping the fact that selling him was the best transfer deal Liverpool have ever done. Good move for him to Villa too. If he’s broken and shit he’s at his level, if he finds his form and stays injury free he’ll get a decent move.

• Paid Members

Coutinho will do a James Rodriguez. Be excellent for a few games, start to realise he should be somewhere good instead and start to get 'injured' a lot. Then again, maybe he'll behave with Gerrard being in charge.