Old Lives Matter

tiger_rick

1 minute ago, Perry said:

In a similar vein, most people used to shit on The Big Bang Theory because it ripped the piss out of nerds. In most cases you only had to click on the haters profiles on twitter and you'd see that they were gamers and geeks who were clearly offended. Most probably hadn't even watched an episode. At the end of the day the show ran for 12 seasons, they were obviously doing something right.

You also have people who think Friends is the best and most important comedy in history and others who can't make it past an episode. We're all into different things. It's no different in wrestling.

15 minutes ago, FlushFunk said:

The fact is if Undertaker wasn’t a Trump voter or hadn’t said he didn’t think video games had a place in the locker room nobody would be shitting on him.

Today’s talent is soft. That’s a true statement. Some prefer it. He doesn’t. And unfortunately for many his opinion holds a lot of weight & hurts because it hits home.

How exactly are today's talent 'soft'?

If it was a politics thing I'd have been going off on AJ Styles, Jericho and a bunch of other guys as well.

Taker was a big lad with fuck all charisma who lucked into a character that  other guys could have been slotted into. At his best, he was an effective base for better wrestlers and had been gifted an iconic entrance.

It's not for nothing that his least popular run, The Biker Years, had the least set dressing, the most regular exposure and skewed the closest to who he actually is. And even then he was coming down to the ring on a fucking Harley to two of the biggest songs of the time.

It's wrestling, he was a star because he was given every available avenue to be one. Mark Calloway wasn't a star. The gimmick and the booking did much more than the man underneath them.

How many guys in the last 20 years have received, half the advantages that Taker had? His opinion is egregious because it shows a remarkable lack of self awareness.It seems to me that you and him are confusing 'soft' with 'professional'.

• Paid Members

More wrestlers today are likely to have had experience in MMA, or at least some genuine combat sport, not just putting on the gloves and playing armchair expert like Undertaker. It's not like he was even an ex-college wrestler, he was a basketball player who ended up wrestling because he's tall. If he'd wanted to be a legitimate fighter in the days pre-UFC, he could have been a boxer, he could have tried his hands at any number of legitimate martial arts disciplines, but he didn't. He became a showman, got a massive inferiority complex that he wasn't a UFC guy, so started doing a dogshit triangle choke to try and convince people otherwise.

What makes the current locker room "soft"? Are guys with legit MMA backgrounds like Matt Riddle (shithousery aside), Bobby Lashley or Shinsuke Nakamura "soft", are top flight amateur wrestlers like Shelton Benjamin or Chad Gable, or former Strongman champions like Braun Strowman "soft"? Or is it just that you buy into the credibility of the Undertaker because you watched him as a kid and still want to believe?

Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker are two sides of the same coin. Both talked up as all-time greats by the WWE, but never big draws, never having any crossover success, and basically never meaning a fucking thing outside of WWE fans. But they'll both always pick up the phone when called, so WWE will act as if they were bigger than Rock or Austin who'll only do business when it suits them. They're the Arnold Skaaland and Ernie Ladd of this generation.

Edited by BomberPat

Yeah, the idea that the plethora of legitimately trained MMA fighters and such knocking around these days would get their head kicked in by the fucking Honky Tonk Man or something is laughable.

If they’re such hard men why the fuck do they need a knife or a gun in a locker room? 

I think the main problem I have with him is all the wrestlers court shite. Grow up you daft zombie bully twat.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

You also have people who think Friends is the best and most important comedy in history and others who can't make it past an episode. We're all into different things. It's no different in wrestling.

I don't really like that comparison because it's a matter of opinion based on a finished product. Each are valid, even if you totally disagree.

Undertaker's comments are about the personal lives of the wrestlers, which is fucking stupid. It'd be like saying Aerosmith should get back on drugs because their music is shit now. But even stupider because the wrestlers not being fuck ups has nothing to do with WWE's current problems. It's entirely down to creative. Returning to the days where the locker room was full of drugged up rapists isn't going to change that at all.

3 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

How many guys in the last 20 years have received, half the advantages that Taker had? His opinion is egregious because it shows a remarkable lack of self awareness.It seems to me that you and him are confusing 'soft' with 'professional'.

That's true. It's also worth noting that 'Taker pretty much went straight from WCW, where he travelled with Cappetta, to being a top guy in the WWF. He never had to go through the sort of shit that someone like The Miz did. Imagine if Miz had travelled with a ring announcer because he didn't trust "the boys"? He'd have been as well just shitting in his own bag and saving them the effort.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

I get the impression that more than one 'new' poster is a recycled nugget from days gone by.

There hasn't been a new poster on here for about six years.

2 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

Taker was a big lad with fuck all charisma who lucked into a character that  other guys could have been slotted into. At his best, he was an effective base for better wrestlers and had been gifted an iconic entrance.

It's not for nothing that his least popular run, The Biker Years, had the least set dressing, the most regular exposure and skewed the closest to who he actually is. And even then he was coming down to the ring on a fucking Harley to two of the biggest songs of the time.

It's wrestling, he was a star because he was given every available avenue to be one. Mark Calloway wasn't a star. The gimmick and the booking di

I believe it’s universally accepted that nobody could have played or made the Undertaker work as MC did.

Not one reply so far has changed my opinion that this is just a bunch of pissed of gamers offended by the truth.

2 minutes ago, FlushFunk said:

I believe it’s universally accepted that nobody could have played or made the Undertaker work as MC did.

Not one reply so far has changed my opinion that this is just a bunch of pissed of gamers offended by the truth.

Would be you offended by the truth that you seem like the guy who masturbates to knife magazines 

• Paid Members

Back in my day, troll posters on forums had a single gimmick and had to rely on the content of their posts to gain irritation. Views and jokes that didn't always work, but at least they tried and kept going. There was psychology and a narrative to the trolling.

Nowadays, if a troll poster's gimmick doesn't work, they just create a new gimmick and try something new. No psychology, no learning. Just the Internet equivalent of dives to the outside and flippy shit.