The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

37 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Something really great about Ethan Page slagging off AEW this week for being a disorganised mess, then being crowned NXT Champion by the weekend. What a business. It’s all about the game, and how you play it.

Hey now. HHH doesn't speak bad about AEW at all. Or their overly long PPVs. Definitely not.

• Paid Members

“Am I winning the belt for political reasons, after slagging off the competition, or do you genuinely believe in me as a top guy?”

”Top guy, definitely.”

”So I’m going to go over big and look strong, yeah?”

”You’re going to win accidentally after falling on your opponent, both lying unconscious, it nothing more than a fluke that you landed on top of him for three seconds.”

”Cool.”

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Something really great about Ethan Page slagging off AEW this week for being a disorganised mess, then being crowned NXT Champion by the weekend. What a business. It’s all about the game, and how you play it.

My favorite discourse from the event are the womans match literally stealing entire sequences from Ricochet/Ospreay and being raved about by the same twitter accounts who accuse AEW of being nothing but gymnastic flipfloppy bullshit ("But it works because they have gymnastic backgrounds") and the shine of Ethan Page's lucky win being overshadowed by A Joe Hendy gif at the end.

For what its worth as a person, I quite like old Ego, but he's done the same thing Mercades Mone did and one was dragged, the other was praised. At least she didn't win by fluke!

Also hilarious was HHH realizing he said the quiet bit out loud and back tracking by saying, I didn't mean them, I meant that one time we did a Wrestlemania that was over 5 hours long, honest!

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

10 minutes ago, Supremo said:

“Am I winning the belt for political reasons, after slagging off the competition, or do you genuinely believe in me as a top guy?”

”Top guy, definitely.”

”So I’m going to go over big and look strong, yeah?”

”You’re going to win accidentally after falling on your opponent, both lying unconscious, it nothing more than a fluke that you landed on top of him for three seconds.”

”Cool.”

I don't think Ethan Page will particularly care how he won the title. Just like Edge winning the world title for the first time by cashing in MITB at NYR only to drop it at the Rumble weeks later. Ethan Page has shown he's happiest in the chickenshit heel character, a win's a win and he'll milk it. Good enough at a certain level to help get others over and doesn't mind making himself the fool to do it (Sting/Darby/Jericho/HOOK/Hardy). He even did just enough to get some interest in a Tony Nese feud.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Hunter believes in that finish, it's how he cleanly and decisively pinned Stone Cold at No Way Out 2001 which we all remember as a peak moment in his career. Devastating.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

My favorite discourse from the event are the womans match literally stealing entire sequences from Ricochet/Ospreay

It's wrestling. Everything's been done before.

• Members
37 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's wrestling. Everything's been done before.

Indeed. I dunno how anyone can look at that sequence and take issue with it, it looked great. Ricochet proving he's an absolute melon as always in his tweets today.

Remember when Punk was lifting things from Brets matches/moves and no one had a problem with it? That was cool wasn't it?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Ricochet proving he's an absolute melon as always in his tweets today.

He seems fully in favour of it, no?

• Members
8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

He seems fully in favour of it, no?

Yeah apologies to him (I know you're reading!) I didn't see the follow up where he said they killed it, I just saw this one which seemed a bit sniffy 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

No problem whatsoever with people lifting spots and doing cute references or call backs for us geeks. My favourite, that no-one ever really clocked or talked about afterwards, was Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus completely ripping off the original Hell in a Cell 97 match when their Cage match fell to the outside.

Every time this comes up, I always lament about no-one ever stealing the brilliant Goldberg/Bret spot, with the metal plate under the hockey jersey. But now I’m half remembering someone did it recently, didn’t they? Maybe to Bron Breakker?

EDIT: Found it. If you’re going to copy homework, make sure you copy the greatest of all time.

Edited by Supremo
The best there is. The best there was. The best there ever will be.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Sure. But this is no mere coincidence.

Where did Ricochet and Ospreay get it from, though? Plenty of places. Accusing Kelani Jordan and Sol Ruca (who could be great) of nicking something and not doing the same to Ricochet and Ospreay is just territory marking.

And who cares, really. Like Supremo says, part of the fun of wrestling is callbacks and playing the hits. This could be said of a lot of things, too.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Where did Ricochet and Ospreay get it from, though? Plenty of places. Accusing Kelani Jordan and Sol Ruca (who could be great) of nicking something and not doing the same to Ricochet and Ospreay is just territory marking.

And who cares, really. Like Supremo says, part of the fun of wrestling is callbacks and playing the hits. This could be said of a lot of things, too.

You’ve put me down a road I wasn’t walking on. My original point wasn’t they copied the spot (call backs and greatest hits are common. I mean CM Punks AEW run was basically Bret Hart’s greatest matches). My point was back when Ospreay/Ricochet did it, it was widely rubbished as gymnast bollocks and it was the death of wrestling, but now it’s been done in NXT it’s amazing.

I’d like to say that rhetoric is because wrestling tastes have changed, but we know how those same people talk about AEW that it’s not.