The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

• Paid Members

The fact they've already gone to Pat being gone again and it being essentially a 4/5 on 3 scenario makes me think that Ridge was supposed to be part of the group but maybe as those 4 with Pat dropping in to make 5 when the UE conflict needed a little more rounding out. It seems between Covid, injuries to Fish and just about everything else that it's all being booked on the fly at the moment, Finn getting bashed up after the Kyle match probably didn't help matters either.

The fact Kross isn't chasing his title straight away is strange as well. 

• Awards Moderator
11 hours ago, Statto said:

Given what's happened since, I can't help but wonder what would have happened had Ridge Holland not broken his leg, particularly as he was in there with Oney Lorcan at the time.

Was Pete Dunne brought back when/how he was just because they needed a suitable replacement for Ridge? Was it always planned that he was going to come back as a heel & go into a main event program with Balor in relatively short order, or did that all come as a result of Holland getting hurt? Was Holland going to get the rocket strapped to him and be feuding with Finn now?

Were Oney & Danny always going to turn & join the McAfee group, and subsequently become tag champs? Or were they the audible called when Holland got hurt, as it was Lorcan who injured Pat's hitman, technically? If so, who would have been the 4th man if it was planned to be Pat, Pete, Ridge & AN Other?

Or was it always supposed to be McAfee, Dunne, Lorcan & Burch in the match, perhaps with Holland maintaining a hired muscle/bodyguard type presence?

It's the most interesting thing about NXT at the moment IMO.

This may be a result of my disconnect from NXT over the last year, but if that's the most interesting thing about the show at the moment, it doesn't say much for how interesting the rest of it must be.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

The fact Kross isn't chasing his title straight away is strange as well. 

Not if you take one look at him, it’s not. He looks to have come back way too quickly.

I usually don’t really see it when Meltzer talks about the tiny minutia of people’s physiques but his assessment of Kross since he came back is spot on. He’s slower, his shoulders look significantly different to each other and he doesn’t have the physique he had before the injury. Pretty bad considering the look was all he ever had.

He’s definitely come back too soon and considering he never really had it in him to hang with the top tier talent to begin with (see his boring as fuck Takeover main event), it’s no wonder they haven’t rushed him back into the Title picture.

His NXT run is going to be interesting to follow. I’m still convinced that he’d have been found out and had the belt taken off him already if he hadn’t been injured.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

This may be a result of my disconnect from NXT over the last year, but if that's the most interesting thing about the show at the moment, it doesn't say much for how interesting the rest of it must be.

That's what I was getting at with that comment.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Not if you take one look at him, it’s not. He looks like to have come back way too quickly.

I usually don’t really see it when Meltzer talks about the tiny minutia of people’s physiques but his assessment of Kross since he came back is spot on. He’s slower, his shoulders look significantly different to each other and he doesn’t have the physique he had before the injury. Pretty bad considering the look was all he ever had.

He’s definitely come back too soon and considering he never really had it in him to hang with the top tier talent to begin with (see his boring as fuck Takeover main event), it’s no wonder they haven’t rushed him back into the Title picture.

His NXT run is going to be interesting to follow. I’m still convinced that he’d have been found out and had the belt taken off him already if he hadn’t been injured.

I honestly hadn't paid too much attention to this but having read your comment I've looked and I instantly see it. He doesn't look 100% at all.

Could it be a case that he's had himself cleared sooner than he should because he's worried about getting lost in the post WM "who's joining next?" shuffle? Especially with their being no takeover tomorrow night too.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

This isn't aimed at you, HG, i've just used your post as a launch pad.

I know its the cool thing these days to hate everything WWE related and quite understandable, but NXT has been a solid two hours for a good few months now, it just doesn't seem to generate the discussion on a Thursday morning as usually Dynamite is slightly better.

I tend to watch both shows on Thursday morning, and I have recently shifted to watching NXT first through enjoyment. Gargano is thriving in the heel role now, you have Kushida, Leon Ruff, Bronson Reed, Thatcher, Tyler Rust all doing enjoyable things at the moment, the tag division has gotten better, especially with the Dusty Classic ongoing and the Womens division for me is the best one out of Raw, SD, AEW and Impact. 

It's a shame more people feel jaded by WWE that NXT is getting left behind. If you drop Raw from your weekly wrestling viewing, then to be honest, wrestling is brilliant at the moment. Smackdown is knocking it out of the park, Impact has hit its stride, Dynamite speaks for itself and NXT is very enjoyable. 

• Paid Members

Even 205 is an easy 45 minute or so watch. It is just Raw, where they can't seem to get the pacing right or build stories without making it hokey as shit. I'm sure I've read somewhere that HHH is now producing SmackDown as well (which would explain people like Bryan getting more input, the selection of people being pushed and Reigns getting to shine).

NXT is very much a Thursday night thing for me (to break the week up so I'm watching one thing a night) but it is something I'm enjoying. Bronson's a particular favourite because he looks like he could kill you and enjoy doing it. MSK being my favourite tag team of the last few years does help as well.

It hit me watching this week's how many new faces are getting featured, yeah we still have regulars that seem to stick around (Ciampa, UE, Gargano) but all those mentioned above are getting momentum.

On the dodgy plans, I think from Kross getting injured stuff started getting iffy, Then Balor/Kyle happened, Ridge got hurt and plans had to shift again.

I think War Games was gonna be Balor/UE vs Pat, Ridge, Oney, Burch and Dunne them splitting off feuds but who knows, they had enough time to sort it so it didn't seem obvious

I'm really enjoying the direction of NXT lately. They're definitely building up new faces which is what it should be all about really. I know there's still some repetition and some old faces that could probably do with getting out of there, but at least someone like Gargano is actually doing decent work now in his heel role. I'd argue Ciampa's probably the most lost but I've been enjoying his stuff with Thatcher so I can't complain too much.

• Paid Members

Edge is appearing on NXT tonight. Obviously a ratings ploy against AEW’s Beach Break and they won’t actually pull the trigger on Edge vs. Balor at Wrestlemania, but honestly? I think I’d prefer that match over Edge facing McIntyre or Reigns. That’s what I want from Edge’s run - him mixing it up with work horses who came in after he retired. 

A fun point I saw raised on Twitter though - the match they’re going to be teasing on their developmental show features two guys with a combined age of EIGHTY SIX YEARS. One year off the combined age of Age in the Cage.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Edge always talked about wanting to get involved in NXT on the E&C podcast and quite often mentioned NXT names when asked who he would like to work with if he could still wrestle. His segment with Priest on Raw shows that he is wanting to give the newer guys the rub. 

With Beth being on comms, it wouldn't surprise me to see him popping up more often. I don't think he will challenge Balor, though. 

• Paid Members

Would they have him challenge Balor and turn up on NXT in the hopes that it'll pop a rating against Dynamite?