Cyberpunk 2077

The Gaffer

So... Cyberpunk's coming out, eh?

The game's obviously going to be great - and I get that it's just symptomatic of how the industry operates nowadays - but cueing up the video reviews only to be told in them that the journalists could only show CD Projekt's own footage was a let off. And then at the same time I wish they'd actually kept more of their cards to their chest, belaboured development cycle and all.

Has any game ever had as many dev videos, behind the scenes, extended playthroughs and trailers? It actually feels overexposed and it's not even out yet. I can't help but feel Night City would have had more wow factor if we were more blind to it going in.

I'm hearing the game is buggy as fuck and that's why they're keeping videos to a strict few of their own, I wonder how much post-release overworking there will be to get out even more patches.

Edit: I'm just reading that there are sections that seem to mimic what's used by neurologists to trigger seizures when diagnosing for them, it may not be intentional but it seems to be eerily similar and has caused at least one reviewer to have a huge seizure while playing.

Edited by Merzbow

Read mumblings that the base console versions are a bit of a mess. But I haven't looked too hard into it. 

Seen a lot of praise for the writing and characters (particularly the side missions) but that's probably the least surprising news. 

I caved in and ordered it so I'll update how it is on the PS4 Pro. Fucker might actually take off for a flight.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I mean.. I've seen very little of the game. So it's kinda up to you how much you want spoiled tbh! Bit of an odd complaint I think.

I feel 'ya, I'm more speaking to the general consensus than my own personal feelings. These things just have a way of pervading the general conscious as well if you're a regular of any number of YouTube gaming channels, publications etc. 

All the Cyberpunk reviews and stuff that came out yesterday were based on the PC version of the game - nobody's been given access to the console version yet, which sets off some pretty massive alarm bells (along with the whole "video reviews can only contain approved footage" thing). It's definitely been rushed out before it was ready just to get it in the shops before Christmas, in the hopes that they can cobble together a patch before release day to make it actually run properly.

Edit: talk of the devil, the console review copies went out this afternoon...

Edited by CAREBEAR LUVVA

Some of the videos of it on older gen hardware are gnarly as fuck. A lot of those I'm sure are worst case scenario montages from people who gained early access before the day one patch, but I've seen a few longer ones that aren't too flattering. 

I'm not piling on the misery, either. I'm sure this game will still be fantastic when everything gets straightened out. I just find this kind of stuff oddly fascinating. It had such a long development cycle, and despite this weird assertion that it's a next gen game, it was developed for years for the PS4 and heavily advertised for it. 

It's almost like they bit off more than they could chew, realised in the last few months it wasn't going to swing as well as they'd hoped, but crunched it out anyway under the promise that the proper version would come along later. 

Rockstar reign on as the king of open worlds!

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Some of the videos of it on older gen hardware are gnarly as fuck. A lot of those I'm sure are worst case scenario montages from people who gained early access before the day one patch, but I've seen a few longer ones that aren't too flattering. 

I'm not piling on the misery, either. I'm sure this game will still be fantastic when everything gets straightened out. I just find this kind of stuff oddly fascinating. It had such a long development cycle, and despite this weird assertion that it's a next gen game, it was developed for years for the PS4 and heavily advertised for it. 

It's almost like they bit off more than they could chew, realised in the last few months it wasn't going to swing as well as they'd hoped, but crunched it out anyway under the promise that the proper version would come along later. 

Rockstar reign on as the king of open worlds!

From the people who played Witcher 3 on release, that was a buggy mess too. A year later and you had one of the greatest games off all time. I'm gonna hold off till next year. Game Pass has given me a whole pile of stuff to play in the meantime. 

Cyberpunk 2077 (PS4 Pro) 

Impressed with what CDPR have put together so far. 

On the glitch/bug front nothing outright game breaking so far but have had to load previous saves (game auto saves regularly) a couple of times to work around quest markers not triggering. 

Doesn't seem to be straining my console so far.