Things you're looking forward to in 2021

I Bent My Wookie

• Paid Members

So as 2020 draws to a close I thought it could be really uplifting and refreshing to just take a moment to outline some things you hope for during 2021. This year, while there may have had some amazing up moments for people, there obviously has been some seriously dreadful times and moments, through Covid related issues and other such stuff.

In looking forward towards 2021 there's a few things that I'm excited to see in my future that are giving me the drive to push forward. It'd be cool to hear what you're all looking forward too as well.

1) I'm looking to get my own place

Its a big one for me. I hope to continue the progress I'm making health and job wise to be able to move out into somewhere I can call my own. I've been slowly getting things together (electricals, kitchen stuff, general household items) while working on my mental health so that I can put myself on a more forward path that if the time comes with some money saved I can get myself into a small flat (or at worse a house share with people my own age). 

While I love spending time with the mother and my nephews always being around, having just somewhere where I don't feel I have to confine myself to my room to have any space means I can mentally grow up a little and get some responsibility, get some more independence a lot later than I probably should have and start to build my own life in a healthy and positive manner.

2) I've taken up scriptwriting again 

One of the things I used to love about myself (before I began to struggle and repressed a lot of my own interests) was how passionate I was about theatre and television and scriptwriting for both. I've had many discussions with some theatre and script friends this past week about an idea I'm looking to adapt and it's all been incredibly positive. I'm going to work on the idea and workshop with them throughout so that I don't bog myself down in my own brain. Its just really cool to think I can push myself to get back into something I used to really love.

3) I'm hoping to start just "being a better me" physically and mentally

One of the things I can be criticized for is just how negative I look at life, how nothing ever seems to go right, my life being an endless circus of rejections and things falling through.

Its an absolutely rubbish way to look at things.

From January 1st it's like I'm turning 28, it's time to take into account all the things that are going well. I've got my qualifications, I hope to be teaching as soon as possible. I've got amazing friends who have supported me when I've been most down and even in here, this forum have been nothing but supportive and loving towards me in the majority of cases (those who haven't I can accept I used to be a bit of a moaning, woe is me bawbag).

But it's little things too. For too many years I've hid behind deliberately ugly fashion choices, bad haircuts, letting myself go physically (I tipped 14 stone in November and it was a serious wake up call health wise) because it gave me a comfort blanket. In the sense that, if people didn't like me or find me attractive or a happy perso, it's because I looked and acted like I didn't care so it was fine it was there problem.

In the long run, however, not looking after myself in those physical and emotional ways eventually mentally made me believe that this was all I could achieve and it caused me issues.

So 2021 for me is about not taking any excuses from myself anymore. Not letting myself look like rubbish so that it's okay for me to feel like it. It probably sounds incredibly superficial but it is one of the longest issues I've had that I'm finally looking to address. Its losing the weight to a healthy degree, so that I don't feel lethargic and disgusting. Dressing better because it's the first impression I make on people and you want that to be one they find professionalism not what I have been.

So I ask the good people of the UKFF, what is it that you're looking forward to achieving or experiencing or just having be part of 2021?

I know if restrictions allow I hope to spend next summer at festivals and visiting football grounds of clubs in the UK with cool back stories, is there anything like that people have planned too?

2 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I thought it could be really uplifting and refreshing.

2 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

It'll probably be March before we've buried the Christmas dead. 

That's the 'kef. 

There are a few things I'm really looking forward to next year (which i think is the first time I've said that going into Christmas and a new year in a long time so that's a positive itself)

1. Looking forward to gigs/live shows coming back - I've got a stacked year already with Bowling for soup in Blackpool, My chemical romance in MK, Bring me the horizon in Sheffield, Our hollow our home/Chuggaboom in Manchester & many more. Music is pretty much my entire life and going to live shows in person really does give me that release from the outside world and my mental health so this year has been incredibly hard but I'm remaining optimistic about them next year.

2. Going down to London to go physically to one of the recovery groups i currently attend on a Wednesday over zoom and also on that trip going round to Russell brand's house for dinner and hang out. I became personal friends with Russell about a month ago in a freak/crazy way and we now text multiple times through the week and he is really helping me with my mental health and recovery 

3. Going full steam ahead with my volunteer work with red rose recovery and start up running the face to face mental health groups again here in St Anne's. I have been going through my training every Saturday for the past 6 weeks and were slowly coming to the tail end of it now with a few weeks to go then I've got another short course on sex offenders and then i will be fully badged up and a full fledged volunteer for the charity which is incredibly exciting and something that has kept me really focused and driven with my mental health and recovery also.

4. Hopefully (touch wood and crossing everything i possibly can) Myself and my beautiful fiancé can finally start to plan our wedding and tie the knot before the end of next year. We started doing a small bit of planning and whatnot with it before the first lockdown which we were set to attend a wedding fair in St Anne's but lockdown happened and that got postponed until next year so yeah all things going well we can finally get married. 

5. get our youngest son Chester christened. We got Ollie christened when he was around 14/15 months and wanted to do the same with Chester but obviously as the world shut down and human contact became few and far between it wasn't possible so yeah that's also something quite exciting and for us to look forward to as a family 

• Paid Members

Hopefully being able to see family and friends a bit more regularly. Getting my NVQ in team leadership and management started, and potentially getting off the Metformin. Might see if I can wangle a new, smaller hi-viz vest from work as well. 

40 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Uh... what?

Get him to post a pic of a chippy tea. 

Yeah it really was an incredibly amazing and touching turn of events but the really long story short is i've been a huge fan and he is one of my idols and someone i look up to for over 10 years now. He did a charity zoom call raising money for one trust charity (a food bank charity near him) and out of the 209 people on the call i was one of the lucky 7/8 people that got to speak to him and ask him a question. I wanted to ask him if he could offer any coping strategies with my mental health but i got really choked up and ended up sharing abit of my personal story and he got interested and wanted to know more about me. He told me on a Wednesday he attends a meeting in person which is also held over zoom and gave me his email address privately on zoom and said he wanted me to go with him. I did and later on that evening his assistant emailed me saying Russell wanted to pass on his number too me so we could chat and keep in touch. There is alot more to the story but i have kept it as short as humanly possible. 

36 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Kfogg there jockeying for a former UKFFer's position as chief bragger.

I know it's pretty much a given on this forum that no one is aloud to have a personal opinion or now it seems something they can be and should be extremely proud of however not once while i was typing it out did i have a smirk on my face thinking i was bragging about it. It has turned out to be something that is really life changing and it's not very often i can look at something that has happened within my life and think how lucky i am but this is one of those situations.