Pat Patterson has passed away

Nick James

Very sad news.

The attitude era still just seems like 'a few years ago' in the same way high school does to me when, infact, the reality is it's now 20 years ago 😞

I guess father time catches up with us all......That's Fink a few months ago, now Pat Patterson and, without being too morbid, Vince himself looked ghastly at Survivor Series.

Loved the skits with the Stooges in particular; for some reason the most quirky/random memory of mine was his inability to pronounce the 'Helmsley' part correctly whenever he referred to HHH by his full name !!

And of course those not so subtle double entendre's and digs that JR always seemed to slip in when he was doing the stuff with Briscoe in 1998/99.

• Paid Members

Wasn’t Pat behind the Summerslam 97 main event finish? Remains my favourite finish of all time. Everything makes sense, everyone reacts consistent to their character, but it’s a complete surprise and generates a million questions and directions going forward. A thing of beauty. Perfect pro-wrestling. 

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Wasn’t Pat behind the Summerslam 97 main event finish? Remains my favourite finish of all time. Everything makes sense, everyone reacts consistent to their character, but it’s a complete surprise and generates a million questions and directions going forward. A thing of beauty. Perfect pro-wrestling. 

One of my favourite shows to go back and re-watch, and my favourite time in wrestling. Capped off by an absolute diamond of a finish. It doesn't surprise me that Pat was behind it, as by most accounts it seems he was behind a large percentage of the well worked, intricate finishes involving the main event crew. 

His impact on the business, and more specifically the WWF, was profound and undeniable. The Rumble invention alone is worth its weight in gold. 

• Paid Members

One of the best finish men in the business, a tremendous brawler in the late 70s WWWF tradition (by which point he was already past his nominal "prime", having had a solid run as a pretty boy heel before that), and of course the Royal Rumble. He's as responsible for the formula of a late 90s WWF main event as much as anyone actually in them was. And he was part of the greatest Attitude Era match, the best version of "babyface vs authority" - Steve Austin Vs Dude Love.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I know it shouldn't surprise as they are all seasoned professionals, but the timing is absolutely spot on from everyone in that finish. It couldn't be more perfect.

Incredible 'complex' booking made simple.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

,a tremendous brawler in the late 70s WWWF tradition (by which point he was already past his nominal "prime", having had a solid run as a pretty boy heel before that)

his major work from 78-81 in the WWWF was as a sneaky and methodical heel, not the king of brawling he became against Sarge. If I remember his turn correctly it was during a feud with Ken Patera, then he became a fantastic brawling babyface. 

Also. Again. The Alley Fight rules. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators

Often we talk about all timers whe  the die, but Pat has to be in the higher echelon. 

Amazing worker, big draw, a mastermind of the Hogan years, inventor of Royal Rumble, greatest finish guy not called Eddie Graham, found a way to stay relevant during the attitude era on TV. 

Like Butch, I've just been thinking for the last 15 minutes or so about how staggeringly monumental he was to wrestling. A king in San Francisco under Roy Shire teaming with Ray Stevens, an all-time great team, still a fabulous performer when he went to New York. A masterful worker and big time draw. Then segued into being the right-hand man of the WWF during the golden years of its expansion. Knowing what we know about Vince, Patterson was so clearly as key a figure in the history of the company as anyone not named Vince could be, steering the course and having such a big part in crafting and creating memories in that era with angles and finishes that turned fans into lifers.

That's really pretty incredible. To be able to come back years later when such a high percentage of the fans have seen none of your actual career as a stooge character and be utterly superb and get over all over again is a cherry on the sundae of a mind-blowing career.

This is a big one. And its really sad. 

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

Another thing with the massive loss/greatest of minds talk is that whereas WWE trumpet certain talent like crazy and you have guys like Russo and Corny whose whole lives seem like never ending podcasts, I don't think we're even close to knowing the full roll call of stuff that Pat has architected. Even in semi retirement status, he was the guy Angle and HBK phoned up as soon as they were thrown together for WrestleMania 21. I bet there's plenty of WrestleMania matches afterwards that have his spiritual input. I bet he's all over most of the really smart finishes throughout the Attitude Era. Take him away and who knows how many intelligent pins fall out around Russo's screwy, salacious scripts.