Christmas 2020 (gluttony) Thread

air_raid

• Paid Members

Have just road tested the Aldi sour cream pretzel stars to compare to Lidl Christmas trees of the same flavour. Generously filled bag and amount of flavour “dust”, they were very nice but more tangy compared to Lidl which were sweeter and which I prefer out of the two.

5 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I thought I was the only one.  I can't tolerate butter slime touching the filling of my sandwiches.

(I don't mind it on bread or toast alone, but not in a sandwich)

I'm a mayo, butter and marg man except with jam buttys. I remember as a kid my mum giving me strawberry jam sandwiches with butter and almost throwing up. A nightmare combination for me. I tried a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in America and had the same reaction. 

• Paid Members

Tested out the Lidl speculoos almond mince tarts yesterday. Maybe I’ve been conditioned to think “speculoos = Biscoff” but they were nice, but I expected something more. Still going to get some salted caramel ones and at Mrs raids insistence, crumble topped and “Millionaires” as promised by Aldi.

Although the new waffle maker got delivered today so it will be a few days before other sweet treats get a look in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bumping to update the mince pie situation. Completely unplanned, ended up bring home two lots of Taste The Difference ones from Sainsbury’s to try. One frangipane to test suitability of CostCo replacement - Mrs raid suggests that they are similar and with a dusting of icing sugar might be even better. Secondly, a maple and pecan one - the maple pecan plait is one of my favourite pastries from Lidl, Asda or anywhere that sells pastries. What I didn’t clock until I opened them that instead of a standard top, it has a lid made of Viennese Whirl. And I LOVE Viennese Whirls! These were so nice I may no longer buy any salted caramel crumble top ones for myself and Mrs raid thinks they were the best ones we’ve had in two Christmases of sampling. I don’t know yet if she still wants to try the Aldi “millionaire” ones or will need any Asda crumble top. Is it still a mine pie if the flavours are embellished by maple syrup, pecan and Viennese whirl flavours? Eh, I’m happy.

I’m also staring to worry that Colman’s have discontinued their cranberry sauce. I was convinced it was sold all year round but we can’t find any. Ocean Spray and supermarkets own is everywhere but no Colman’s, and Mrs raid is convinced it’s the best. Don’t tell me lockdown claimed this product in the stripping back to core lines, just like Frijj Zero has disappeared and Lidl don’t offer the sweet chilli/cheese pizzerini any more.

• Paid Members

The Aldi frangipane mince pies were disappointing. The mincemeat to frangipane ratio was skewed against the mincemeat making it too cakey for me. However, their milk chocolate lebkuchen hearts made up for it. Seems they’ve increased the amount of apricot jam in the middle this year. Top marks

11 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

I do like the occasional mince pie, but not the ones with icing on 

I do prefer the classic xmas cake with marizipan and icing, and xmas pudding too, just not ones that are richer than Jeff Bezos 

I got a selection box, reduced to 75p in Tesco last week, and my oh my, it was disappointing, no where near as good as the ones in the stocking i used to get as a child, the bars are tiny 

Are you sure your hands aren’t just bigger?

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Ralphy said:

EoTvA39XIAYIc8y?format=jpg&name=900x900

That's "I'll get this for a laugh" then "I regret everything" in one pic.

January's sandwiches are sorted.

• Paid Members

I’ve had a sausage roll with bacon before and thought it was a bit harsh, maybe more to do with the salt than the meat. By contrast Aldi hog roast sausage rolls are great, and the kind of thing I should have considered getting in.

Bird and myself have settled on the Sainsbury’s pecan and maple mince pies with Viennese whirl top. Trying others would nothing more than delayed gratification.

• Paid Members

Tried these. Obscene. And I want more.

Irish-Creme-Fancies-from-Mr-Kipling-UK.j

In home-made news, my mum's made her classic Christmas cake (Dundee cake recipe) which people tend to have with mild cheese, and of which I'm not a massive fan, and also a Christmas pud, which I much prefer because it's completely soused in brandy (I then spend the rest of Christmas Day in a combination of drunken stupor and The 'Itis, growing my eyebrows back).

This week Aldi released their 'Exquisite' Mince Pies. They come in a green and gold box and are properly lovely. Really rich and fruity filling with a gold sprinkled citrus oil infused pastry (also rich and fruity).

I used to get the Heston Blumenthal mince pies from Waitrose and these are as good, if not better.

3 quid for 6 though, in Aldi. 

• Paid Members
On 11/30/2020 at 6:35 PM, air_raid said:

I’m also staring to worry that Colman’s have discontinued their cranberry sauce.

Finally! Went into Heaton Park store of Home Bargains and they had 3 jars, although they only had 1 left when we left. She’s already had some with a fried Camembert and we’ve got a whole jar left for Christmas.

Update on festive puffings : cracked last  weekend over two (dreadful) Christmas Chronicle films and tried both. The turkey and stuffing balls at first just tasted like chicken crisps but the second bite had a butter-basted taste to them and the sage flavour followed, top marks. The sausage rolls ones (Wotsit style) were also very good, a little generic porky flavour (although different from Frazzles flavour) with no hint of pastry to speak of, but Mrs raid thought they were the better of the two.

Bought some more Sainsbury’s maple and pecan mince pies today and some crumble top salted caramel ones from Aldi although the Millionaires ones were sold out.

Anyone else gone headfirst into their Festive Fat Bastard phase yet?

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Anyone else gone headfirst into their Festive Fat Bastard phase yet?

My work gave us all £25 to get some booze and food for an Xmas Teams chat (started out excruciating but ended up alright). I don't drink so I spent £2 on some orange juice and £23 on quid on cheese, crisps, cake and mince pies. Merry Christmas, everyone.