Christmas 2020 (gluttony) Thread

air_raid

• Paid Members

Pound baker's minced pies are better than they deserve to be, or at least I remember they were. Probably because they're the same ones they sell at Hampson's/Sayer's. Greenhalgh's were decent too. Ah the joy of a butter pie, and then a minced pie after. 

@HarmonicGeneratorwe usually go to M&S and stock up on snack type foods too. Lots of breaded cheeses, nuts, canapes type foods that are usually for parties that we pig out on on an evening whilst playing board or computer games as a family. Chocolate is always in plentiful supply too. 

The time between Christmas Eve and New Years I always seem to regress to being a bit of a school kid, it's the only time of the year where I want a pudding every day and I usually want it with custard. We make some of our own and have a nice variety from the shops too. I bloody love Christmas. We always go to my parents for Christmas as my family are Christmas mad and my in-laws don't celebrate it at all. I'm hoping that will still be possible this year, I'll be quite bereft if it's not.

Also, mince pies are shit.

Edited by deathrey

Every year without fail Mama Riddum will buy 2 bags of M&S' American snack mix bags with the mini pretzels, pastrami flavor bagel bites, chili tortillas and jalapeno nacho cheese corn strips that get us through a couple of weeks. Mum's got the food already pre-ordered from M&S for the big day and some snacky treats for in and around and will get a shop from Tesco for the other bits and usual essentials the weekend before

We've had to change things up a bit for this year because of COVID, we were looking forward to a crowded house as we have an expanded again brood with the addition of my youngest nephew, born in April but, unless things drop enough for households to mix allowing them to visit later on the day, my cousin and her husband plus their boys won't be joining us for dinner nor her sister and her daughter for dessert, it'll just be our family bubble of me, mum, my sister, my brother in law and my niece which sucks

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Pound baker's minced pies are better than they deserve to be, or at least I remember they were. Probably because they're the same ones they sell at Hampson's/Sayer's

Does Sayers still exist? I assumed it was taken over by Pound Bakery when the one in Sale changed.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Jusr had a gander through the latest lidl leaflet, they do some pretty cool looking Christmas food, same goes for aldi. I dont know why but some European countries just seem to do Christmas that much better 

From experience last year of their Chocolate Bombe, it’s good stuff, also the chocolate coated gingerbread characters whose suspicious faces led us to christen them “chocolate paedophiles.”

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, air_raid said:

Does Sayers still exist? I assumed it was taken over by Pound Bakery when the one in Sale changed.

Was it you that told me about their three "levels" where it's either a Pound Bakery, Sayer's or Hampson's depending on what competition is around? If there's a Gregg's nearby they're Pound Bakery so they can compete, and I think they're a Sayer's if there isn't. Somebody told me about it at some point in the past. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Was it you that told me about their three "levels" where it's either a Pound Bakery, Sayer's or Hampson's depending on what competition is around? If there's a Gregg's nearby they're Pound Bakery so they can compete, and I think they're a Sayer's if there isn't. Somebody told me about it at some point in the past. 

Not guilty but I appreciate good marketing bilge so I understand why you’d think it was me.

1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

Sold

This year only available without chocolate. Had to explain subtly to mrs raid that chocolate paedophiles aren’t the same without chocolate in our Lidl just now.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Had my first Christmas Sandwich from Tesco today.  Turkey, sausage, bacon, cranberry and stuffing.  Horny as fuck.

But did they ruin it with mayonnaise? Too few Christmas sandwiches without that shit. I mean, everyone has mayo with their Christmas dinner don’t they? Vile.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, air_raid said:

But did they ruin it with mayonnaise? Too few Christmas sandwiches without that shit. I mean, everyone has mayo with their Christmas dinner don’t they? Vile.

It added the moisture that was needed and fitted ok to be honest.  On my classic Christmas Sandwich I use a little cold gravy and bread sauce as lube.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Thunderplex said:

It added the moisture that was needed and fitted ok to be honest.  On my classic Christmas Sandwich I use a little cold gravy and bread sauce as lube.

It’s horrid stuff. But then I don’t butter my bread so I’m used to dryer sandwiches (butter makes me gag). I never encountered a sandwich which wasn’t adequately moistened by mustard, relish or an appropriate sauce but surely to fuck on a Christmas sandwich the cranberry sauce would do?

I can’t tell you the number of supermarket sandwiches where the ingredients have appealed to me then they’ve ruined it with mayo. Disgusting.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Ralphy said:

i usually cant be bothered with the effort of buttering bread, so i just spray a few sprays of that 1cal olive oil spray onto each slice, works well 

You put The Proclaimers to shame the amount of miles you walk, but you can't be arsed buttering a slice of bread?!