AEW Video Games

Merzbow

Is there a roadmap for the development of the game? I'm very surprised at the lack diversity in the CAW menu's from what I've seen. And no uploading CAW's? That is a huge part of the community and longevity of any great wrestling game. 

I'm salty, I'd planned to spend the weekend (my birthday!) Playing it but the microtransactions and lack of Caw stuff has put me off. 

Doesn't look like it warrants the price tag. 

2 hours ago, Cheapheat said:

Is there a roadmap for the development of the game? I'm very surprised at the lack diversity in the CAW menu's from what I've seen. And no uploading CAW's? That is a huge part of the community and longevity of any great wrestling game. 

I'm salty, I'd planned to spend the weekend (my birthday!) Playing it but the microtransactions and lack of Caw stuff has put me off. 

Not trying to be a dick but the lack of CAW options was well known months prior to release.

2 hours ago, Cheapheat said:

Microtransactions? There is some DLC like ftr but the in-game transactions is money easily accumulated by playing rather than getting money out of you. 

11 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

One thing that annoys me a bit is how out of date the roster is on exhibition mode -

FTW champ - Ricky Starks

Women's champ - Thunder Rosa

Still Inner Circle 

Etc

The problem is FTR and Hook are dlc. If/once you have them you can easily put the title on them. 

3 hours ago, Cheapheat said:

Earlier this morning you'd decided you weren't buying it because of the paid DLC. If you've only managed to find extea stuff to grumble about since then, I'd probably suggest saving your money. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, 69MeDon said:

Not trying to be a dick but the lack of CAW options was well known months prior to release.

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding in regards to the game as a whole despite them being very clear from the start about what type of game this will be. This has always been described as an N64 tribute game and the trailers have always shown it to be that, from the basic graphics to the basic gameplay.
There was never any mention of uploading CAWs, the DLC was announced ages ago (thought admittedly the pricing is rough) and anyone who has watched any of the pre-release stuff could see how barebones a lot of it would be and how outdated the roster would be.

The lack of content in the CAW isn't a shock either because it wasn't advertised as being a hugely in depth thing like Fire Pro. For better or worse this is a modern No Mercy. The selling point was always simplified content and gameplay that captures the essence of the old games and from all accounts it does that.

• Paid Members

A bit off-topic; whatever happened to that No Mercy mod where they were actually working on a legit patch for the rom file instead of the usual No Mercy mods that involved installing other bits and bobs on your device? I think I'd rather play something like that right now until the AEW game shows more promise and/or gets slashed to fuck during a sale.

Edited by Accident Prone

2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I always assumed that they'd have the gameplay and things like that of No Mercy but the general game itself would be a more bulked up modern version. I feel like calling it a No Mercy tribute almost gives them an excuse to be fucking lazy with it.

I don't think they have been lazy, I think they had a budget to work with and needed to get it out. That has caused issues. CAW will be important for some I get that and it probably should have uploads available. Your annual sports games generally have huge budgets and a base game from the previous year to work from. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, westlondonmist said:

I don't think they have been lazy, I think they had a budget to work with and needed to get it out. That has caused issues. CAW will be important for some I get that and it probably should have uploads available. Your annual sports games generally have huge budgets and a base game from the previous year to work from. 

The issue with CAW uploads, and it's something I mentioned on here before, is with the combo of DLC CAW items it wrecks the uploads. In this case, with day one DLC the CAW Upload system would be broken for anyone who never bought the DLC from the second they install it. It's not worth having unless there's enough content there in the base game to make it worthwhile, and in this case there's not.

An homage to No Mercy probably seemed a smarter idea when it was first pitched and AEW was almost a super indy courting hardcore Internet fans. Now it's a viable mainstream promotion with a broader audience, whose expectations aren't necessarily informed by N64 nostalgia. That's a marketing challenge that they're obviously not winning if even people on here weren't prepared for what they got.