AEW Revolution 2021

WeeAl

• Paid Members

Just finished watching last week's Dynamite. A bit gimmick heavy, isn't it? I can't say I expected a Japanese Deathmath to be announced for the show.

The ladder match strikes me as a "fuck them all in a multi man because we have no idea what to do with this lot at the moment" type of deal. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So what are people's predictions for this now we have the full card?

My prediction is that it'll be far too long. I'd be surprised if it isn't 4 hours. The main event will also be over 30 minutes long. I'd be a lot happier if they hadn't booked the tag royale for sure. They only just had one on Dynamite. 

Jericho/MJF vs Young Bucks - Bucks win from Sammy interference. 

Page beats Hardy

Mystery man (Speedball Mike Bailey or someone from Impact) wins the ladder match.

Shida retains.

Pac/Fenix win the tag thing.

OC/Taylor beat Miro/Kip - Miro destroys Kip afterwards. 

Sting/Darby win a very entertaining street fight which steals the show.

Omega blows up Mox to retain. 

Christian Cage debuts, everyone complains. 

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

The Countdown show for this is predictably brilliant. Some of their best work. The Sting stuff in particular brings back all the excitement and momentum he had on that first night. I understand there’s a supposed trend where vignettes and hype videos don’t perform as well as live segments in the ratings. There has to be a balance though. It’s insane that they scripted the same promo-interrupted-by-a-brawl for about six straight weeks when they had this gold in the bag.

Tony Schiavone also steals the show. I absolutely adore how he’s got no time for the heels and truly hates them. “You’ve got Chris Jericho. He’s won championship titles all over the world, he’s done everything, has his own podcast, rock and roll star...and then you have his partner, who’s a piece of shit.”

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Absolutely. Their video packages are always so good and I wish they were on Dynamite instead of only really appearing on the countdown shows or YouTube. 

Also really enjoyed Adam Page's description of Matt Hardy:

• Paid Members

The drawing and labeling of Mox on fire and in barbed wire made me laugh. I can completely imagine Omega and Callis scribbling it out on a napkin, cackling like maniacs. So far, I'm a thousand times more invested in this than I was their previous weapons match. What a difference a bit of character and story can make!

Also, Mox is so fucking great these days that I'm already excited about his inevitable return. Three months of weights, shaved head, it's gonna be awesome.

Edited by Supremo

Was just going to post that picture myself. I’m far from being Kenny Omega’s biggest fan (clearly very good but also massively overrated), but that drawing did make me laugh. Saying that’ll explode after 30 minutes pretty much guarantees that we’re going to see that.

Agreed that the show will most likely end up being around the 4hr mark, which seems inline with every other AEW PPV. Personally I think that’s too long,  no PPV should be that long other than whatever your calling your “biggest” show of the year. A well booked Wrestlemania, fine, a Wrestle Kingdom, again fine. But a regular PPV, 3hrs tops.

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

If this has a 30 minute countdown timer until everything explodes the main event is definitely ending in a draw.

Normally the idea is that someone has to win before the timer counts down to zero to stop the explosions. Once the timer has gone off and everything explodes then the match can still continue although slightly anti climatic at that point. 

• Paid Members

yeah, Onita vs. Hayabusa ended after the time limit expired, and I expect much the same here. 

An Onita classic was that he would jump on top of the referee to shield them just before the explosions went off - I could see them doing something like that; Moxley sacrificing himself in the big time limit explosion, and Omega picking up the scraps. 

• Paid Members

Absolutely gutted that this isn't on tonight. I had plans to wake up extra early tomorrow morning with a large cup of coffee and a bevvy of breakfast snacks, nestled comfortably in the living room whilst the rest of the house slept.

Now I'll have to skip through it on Monday morning before work. They had a real good thing going with those Saturday night PPVs, just like NXT did. Now they've both fucked it.

Surprisingly it's worked out well for me, probably one of the few. Usually Saturdays are best, same as everyone else. But I'm working today and tomorrow then off all next week, so I've lucked out and am gonna stay up to watch it tomorrow night.

It's only a one-off due to other events taking place this weekend isn't it? So the next one should be back to Saturday.

Edited by digitalversicolor