RIP Kamala

The Reverend

News filtering in that James Harris aka Kamala has passed away. Very sad but not a real shock as he has been in serious ill health for years. 

A long time favourite of mine, the man had an amazing career - World of Sport, Memphis, WWF, NWA, WCW, WCCW and so many others, he literally popped up in almost every promotion. In his prime he really came across the biggest, scariest heel. It's a testament to how well he played the character that he managed to get over three decades out of it.

RIP Kamala 

• Paid Members

Very sad news, rough few years for him but one of those who everyone spoke highly of outside of the ring. Terrified me as a youngster, the "Ugandan Giant" came across as a legit badass the way The Headshrinkers did in the early 90s. RIP.

Edited by Suplex Sinner
Context

Add me to the list of those who were shit-scared of him as a kid but was also one of their favourites. He definitely had an aura about him in WWF as this monster that Wippleman and Kim Chee were just able to keep under control and that made him even more watchable for me. His selling was fantastic aswell, particularly his facial expressions. Watch him at Summerslam 92 when Taker sits up, looks like he's seen a ghost. As others have said, I've almost been expecting this for a while but it's still really sad.

I watched Survivor Series 1992 not too long ago and his match with Undertaker was a blast. It obviously wasn't a workrate classic by any means, but Kamala was fantastic at putting over his fear of caskets with some fantastic facial expressions. He was probably the most enjoyable of all the monster heels that Undertaker was forced to feud with during the first part of his career. RIP. 

• Paid Members

The way he went balls deep into the Kamala gimmick made me a believer. Even when things clicked inside my head that wrestling was all a show, I I refused to believe that Kamala wasn't some savage they found in the middle of a jungle. 

Big loss that many of the current and next generation of wrestlers should study to teach themselves how to commit to a gimmick.

Kamala worked because, as has been said, the man behind it was so good. His mannerisms, facial expressions and body movements were just exceptional and he truly made you believe he was a savage from the swamps of Uganda.

As scary as he was as a heel he also played a really good naive, sympathetic babyface. His run as the exploited and abused Kamala in 1993 was really under-rated from a character perspective and vignettes like the one below were a lot of fun.

RIP Kamala.

He was so believable, looked like he was just trying to hurt people and wrestled unconvincingly, splash on the back etc. Been sad reading about his health issues when by all accounts he was a good soul. 

• Paid Members

Sad to hear this. I watched his shoot interview a year or so ago and was pleasantly surprised. Don’t know what i expected going in but I found him really likeable and quite funny. I’d recommend it if you can find it. Not going to pretend I was a huge fan or anything but it was a great gimmick and look. You certainly didn’t forget him in a hurry the first time you saw him. This was impressive whenever he’d bust it out as well;

73751F1C-6EAE-4ABE-B534-DC8565EECD54.jpeg

• Paid Members

Just re-watched the match Kamala had with Undertaker at Summerslam 1992 and he's so good. His selling of the post match comeback from Undertaker is fantastic. His facials, his timing, even throwing in a comedy fall while running away, makes Taker look like an unstoppable monster.