This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, like you say, AJ suddenly becoming some come-forward aggressive slugger isn’t his natural approach. Plus I think that will really open him up to being countered by something nasty. But I don’t think AJ has much choice here. If he goes for the kill he’s at risk of walking onto something but it at least gives him a chance of landing something himself. If he tries to just box again though, there’s no hope, Usyk wins that battle every time. It’s a risk he’s probably gonna have to take. It’s why the closer it’s getting I’m starting to lean towards Usyk getting the stoppage this time. I can see AJ trying to be aggressive from early on, getting stung with counters and hurt and either being stopped there and then or being forced into a shell and picked apart and finished late. The only way I see AJ winning this is if he just throws caution to the wind and comes out throwing but I think Usyk will make him pay for that. Even if he doesn’t stop him, I can see AJ fading badly if he comes out all guns blazing and keeps hitting air. It’s a really bad matchup for him. 

• Paid Members

The top 3 fights will be worth your time if you are wondering where to drop in. Try catching Ben Whittaker buried down the card too, superstar written all over him.

edit* @wandshogun09i dont know whats happening with Spong. Feels like he has fights announced and cancelled all the time.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Great fight and I thought AJ looked way better than last time but Usyk was still just that bit better. Thought AJ made a right tit of himself post-fight though and unfortunately that’s probably gonna be the main talking point coming out of this show. Throwing the belts out of the ring, stropping out of the ring, rambling on and bringing up the current shit going on in Ukraine. Just an odd post-fight interview altogether. I get that he’d have been frustrated and all that but he came off as a right div and made Usyk’s moment about him.

Always humble…

38E1090C-143C-4B72-B8AA-B840EBCB5E27.gif.67b040b06b9fe36151d2d36bd1e4adc7.gif

• Paid Members

Yeah, the post-fight is what's going to be remembered. Just an odd spectacle of someone having a bit of a breakdown in the limelight. It was engaging stuff but at the same time pretty alarming.

The fight was good, but I had Usyk a clear winner. I'm not sure how the one judge had it for Joshua. I had it 118-110 on my card. It was similar to the first fight, but Joshua just seemed to bring a physical presence that wasn't there in the the first fight, everything he threw seemed to have mean intention, especially the body attack. Just felt Usyk was outpointing in him most of the rounds, then after AJ really went for it in round 9 and didn't get him out of there, Usyk just took over. They've fought 24 rounds now and one guy is clearly better than the other. 

Did anyone see it any differently, weirdly, I spoke to my Dad after the fight and he felt AJ had won the fight, not sure how but it might have been one of those type of fights.

Yeah, but that post-fight...

After the Zhang robbery,  I thought the fix would be in and siad to the Mrs before the decision bet we get 115-113 AJ, and then when he got the first nod I thought that was it (that judge has a history of this and should be disqualified from acting as a judge). 

AJ for me really stepped it up and he won me over (until he spoilt it post fight).  He did give it every thing but still  clearly lost widely. The problem AJ faced in Usyk is that 90% of heavies these days are big, with reasonably low output and generally fight measured. 

Usyk fights at a pace and movement AJ can't live with and has a gas tank that enables him to up the ante (like calzaghe used to)  down the stretch.

I had it 9-2-1

Even in the 9th Usyk was actually blocking and slopping 90% of the incoming fire, and then he upped it in round 10 back at AJ..

Even if I was the biggest AJ nuthugger I could only make it 8-4 Usyk. 

Again though Usyk showed technical excellence,  ring iq,  chin, speed,  timing,  distance... The lot. 

Really an exceptional fighter in every aspect. 

In 20 fights and (9 title fights)  he's unified cruiser (individually) in his opponent's backyards,  then gone to heavy and won the unified title (opponent's backyard)  against a giant and power puncher (and let's give AJ his due, prior to usyk he was 9-1 in title fights, and avenged his only loss) defended it. 

I wish AJ had just said (lost to better man)  and had done with it as he had gained alot of respect for the effort he put in. 

His mental breakdown though probably had his sponsors checking their 'exit options'  small print.  Real shame as he basically pissed on his own efforts. 

Any interest in Joshua Fury has dissipated now, for me at least.  It’d be fairly one-sided. 

Usyk-Fury I guess is next.  I find the heavyweight scene uninspiring nowadays, which is a change from a few years ago.

The thing that grates me is fighters don't fight anymore.  

It's once a year.  Hell dan Severn even said inactivity causes injury  as your not used to the blows (and he had what 100+ Mma bouts into his 50s) 

A fighter should barring injury be able. To do 3-4 times a year.  Now even the contenders want to sit on a no1 ranking for a year. 

Honestly the fighters don't want to fight anymore. 

What was eubank snr sky deal in the 90s?  10m for 8 fights in 1 calendar year?? 

Fury has fought what 11x in 9 years and pissed away his whole 20s and prime. 

Its why I like ufc to be fair.  Dana is running,  what 50+ shows a year... Most of  the card good-great quality and value for money. Nowadays a boxing ppv is the main event and the rest shite (look at the 90s. Each ppv was stacked with 3-4 title fights) 

I'm an admitted nostalgia junkie,  but boxing nowadays is fucked.  You don't need 6 months to build a fight.  Put a good fight on and people will buy it..... We don't need 4 months to decide! 

Also as a final note.  We have seen what usyk has done to AJ twice and Usyk is not a puncher.  Can we stop and think what Mike Tyson in his prime would have done?

Tyson ko 1-3 max! 

Hell I think 1970s foreman murders him! 

On 8/21/2022 at 8:07 PM, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

fighters don't want to fight anymore. 

I suggest you read the many ways to kill a boxing match. When you take into account network/promoter/sanctioning body disputes as well as all the other shenanigans that go on behind the scenes, the difficulties in getting the top guys into the ring are obvious.

On 8/21/2022 at 8:07 PM, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Fury has fought what 11x in 9 years and pissed away his whole 20s and prime. 

Even ignoring that he was out for several years due to doping/mental health issues, how has he "pissed away" anything? He's got an estimated net worth of $65 million, he's hardly needing to use food banks because of bad career choices is he? Is the boxing word really crying out for more Tyson Fury title defences against no-names similar to Željko Mavrović and Phil Jackson (who both challenged Lennox Lewis)? Assuming he's not actually retired (and that might have changed a couple of times while I've been typing this reply) Fury wants to concentrate on big money marquee matches, he can hardly be blamed for not wanting to get out of bed for 5am runs in training for a match against some Random Jimmy.

Edited by Tamura