This Weekend's Boxing πŸ₯Š (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
On 9/4/2022 at 7:37 PM, Rossman said:

Boxxer are starting to put on a few dodgy shows recently.

Then last night there were two terrible fights. Frazer Clarke faced off against a 6'5" Bulgarian skeleton. Everytime he got touched he went down. Think the fight lasted 90 seconds. Clarke had to apologise to the crowd who had paid to see that rubbish. Not just a mismatch it was dangerous.

Then the main event, Liam Smith v Hassan Mwakinyo finished with a ridiculous ending. Mwakinyo supposedly rolled his ankle in round 3. Then in round 4 he kept going to the corner and kneeling down, without taking any shots. After the 2nd time he did it, the fight was called off. Cue Mwakinyo getting up, walking around the ring absolutely fine, protesting about the stoppage.

Β 

Β 

I'll give Boxxer a slight pass, but I definitely see where you are coming from. They are clearly in a process of trying to build a stable of new stars, trouble is, I think we live in a time where you aren't able to really get away with matching fighters that poorly because people won't stand for it and have the means to go out and voice their opinion.Β 

The main event on Saturday was just weird. The talk going in that Mwakinyo was a bit of a mentalist so it's shouldn't be all that surprising, but it wasn't a good look for anyone involved.Β 

The Frazer Clarke fight was worse for me. He was in with a guy 4 stone lighter than him who had zero business being in the ring. Ben Shalom is claiming Clarke's management team picked opponent after turning down who Boxxer offered them, don't know if there's any truth to that, but it was not good.

There's always going to be weird stuff happening in Boxing, but hopefully Boxxer listen to the backland and do things to help avoid the avoidable stuff in future.

• Paid Members

I still find myself sitting on the shelf with it. The first two fights were great, and I should be absolutely buzzing for this but it hasn't sparked anything in me yet. I'm sure it'll hook me by fight night and there's plenty of content out there for me to watch, but I can't help but feel it's coming a couple of years too late. The second fight was 4 years ago which is mental. Gotta remember though that these two are pretty much made for each other, it's gonna be great isn't it?

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing πŸ₯Š (Canelo vs. GGG III - September 17th)

Bit of a glaring omission by DAZN to not do a lead up program like all access or 24/7 in the lead up to this. Matchroom do the production in the UK so any content is down to them though globally it's on DAZN, and I can't help feeling people would have bought into this more if they had a few episodes like such. They've done story so far which is just little recaps of the previous bouts.Β 

• Paid Members

Outside of the Canelo fight this weekend and a few domestic shows, Carlos Takam fights in Canada tonight against a prospect heavyweight called Arslanbek Makhmudov. Makhmudov is 14-0 with 14 ko's and is a big favorite. Still, if boxing doesn't work out for the bloke, surely a career in movie henchman roles awaits. Looks at the kisser on this guy:

FcwMUmFWQAEukpy.thumb.jpg.b7af75a6e3bc98ed76a853c501f2bc39.jpg

• Paid Members

ignore the times because they are American, but this is how the show runs tonight:

20220917_222411.thumb.jpg.6cb5b7aa91fc12b224132ddc4c9b06e4.jpg

In in from Williams/Conway on.

On the subject of Williams/Conway, Ammo Williams opened a big favorite but odds have shorted a lot during the week. Lots of stuff on Twitter about Williams' mental state, some claim he hasn't trained, others saying he has no business being in the ring. If you watch recent video of him being interviewed compared to a year ago it is quite alarming how different he acts. Massive chance for Conway (only Brit on the card) to score a massive upset.Β 

Bam Bam Rodriguez in the co-main. Im still yet to see him fight but he's tipped to possibly be the next p4p king.

Decent stuff.

Edited by Egg Shen