This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Welsh fighter, Joe Cordina got dressed up to watch Zelfa Barrett and Shavkat Rakhimov fight for his vacated title last night in UAE.

IMG-20221106-090114.jpg

Barrett had a great 6 rounds to start the fight. Knocking Rakhimov down in the 3rd but Rakhimovs stalk and hit approach ground Barrett down. Round 7 and 8, Barrett had really slowed down and couldn't get away from Rakhimov so they slugged it out. Didn't go too well for Barrett who got stopped in the 9th. Rakhimov will now fight Cordina for the title.

Bivol v Zurdo Ramirez was a routine win for Bivol. Ramirez is so bizarre. 44-0 never thought anyone of note, former super middleweight world champion. Bivol's had 20 fights and he's more experienced than Ramirez because he's fought tougher opponents.

But even at Light Heavyweight, Ramirez looks too big. He's so tall he has to crouch to throw his shots and his stance is like he's trying to do the splits. Reminds me of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr draining himself to fight at lower weights than he should.

• Paid Members

Barrett really went off a cliff didn't he? he fought perfectly for 6 rounds. I was convinced he hurt his right leg because it was all over the gaff, but apparently he was just knackered.

Bivol won comfortably and as you said, Ramirez is just a weird case. Pretty slow and lumbering, didn't really look to have the KO power advertised either. Bivol schooled him.

• Paid Members

anyone gonna watch the Hatton/Barrera exhibition? 

th.jpg.82fc50c8e79d1f4dfc21e05b8b01c28f.jpg

It's one of those things i'd rolled my eyes at originally when it was announced on a PPV service, but now it's been added to Sky Sports, and hearing Hatton talk about it on the toe2toe podcast, i'm quite excited to see it happen. Hatton is under no illusions of what the fight is about, and it's clearly two mates going in to have a bit of fun and entertain a crowd. Brilliant to see and Ricky in such a good place too, he looks 10 years younger. Wondering what kind of crowd it draws to the Manchester Arena though.

It falls on top of a cracking little Boxxer card too so it should be a good night.

20220928_201822.jpg.aecc61c9c772e2a7a23e4a7bc447d36a.jpg

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

well, that's kind of the point, its an exhibition.

Yeah, I won't be watching. It's like watching the exhibition between Creed and Balboa at the end of Rocky III, minus someone getting a black eye and talking to a robot shortly after.

We don't need that shit in our lives.

I did read, there won't be a winner/loser for the fight. I think it said 8 x 2 minute rounds of boxing.

Sunny Edwards defends his IBF flyweight belt tonight against Felix Alverado from Nicaragua. Alvarado is quite a big puncher and previously held the light flyweight world title. Edwards toughest fight as champion. It's free to watch on Fite TV.

• Paid Members

Completely forgot the Hatton vs Barrera thing was tonight. And even on the Sky EPG it just says ‘Jonas vs Dicaire’ with no mention of Hatton vs Barrera in the info which is weird. Wouldn’t have paid for it but I’ll definitely watch it now it’s on Sky Sports. Not expecting anything from it, these exhibitions are nothing more than glorified sparring sessions with a crowd. Unless it’s Floyd Mayweather battering some Japanese kickboxer or YouTube jabroni. This’ll be along the lines of the Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones thing. More about seeing them do one last ring walk and move around a bit than anything. Two of my favourites though so it’ll be kind of cool to watch. Would’ve been a cracking fight when they were still active.

4F8009EC-831E-4280-BCB7-0F335000149C.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah it’s mad how he’s always been able to shed the weight so drastically. Even more so now he’s 44 years old. He hasn’t been as porky over the last few years as he was at one point but he was quite chunky not too long ago. He’s said himself though that the bloating up between fights probably took years off his career. Sure I read that he used to have to basically do a mini training camp for his proper training camp because he’d get so out of shape in his off time going straight into camp would’ve probably killed him. It’s amazing he had the success he had when you consider the abuse he put his body through out of camp. Never mind the miles the sparring and hard training in camp would’ve put on him.

To be fair to Barrera, he’s not looking too shabby himself for 48! 

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah it’s mad how he’s always been able to shed the weight so drastically. Even more so now he’s 44 years old. He hasn’t been as porky over the last few years as he was at one point but he was quite chunky not too long ago. He’s said himself though that the bloating up between fights probably took years off his career. Sure I read that he used to have to basically do a mini training camp for his proper training camp because he’d get so out of shape in his off time going straight into camp would’ve probably killed him. It’s amazing he had the success he had when you consider the abuse he put his body through out of camp. Never mind the miles the sparring and hard training in camp would’ve put on him.

To be fair to Barrera, he’s not looking too shabby himself for 48! 

It's quite mad how we all played up to the Ricky Fatton character though and laughed along with it.

It must be incredibly dangerous ballooning up and down like that between fights, but Ricky was prime NUTS! ZOO! LADS LADS LADS PINTS PINTS PINTS wasn't he, as I'm sure we all were :)