This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

How I saw the fight was this. Haney was doing what Haney was does,  generally being the sharper boxer, jabbing well and all the rest of it, Garcia wasn't actually doing an awful lot, he just got the knockdowns and his work seemed a bit more aggressive. 

For me Haney struggles at the very top on durability issues, he's he's been rocked by a few guys you wouldlnt nessecarily call power punchers and anytime Garcia landed last night it looked a bit touch and go for him. 

So yeah, Garcia got the win and as I said I am pleased for him, but it wasn't a barnstorming performance where he ran away with it, there was moments of not much at all from him, but he got the knockdowns and it undone all of Haneys good work. Garcia is definitely a better win for boxing though. 

Edited by NeverYield

• Paid Members

Yeah, it'll probably get lost in the post-fight that Haney comfortably won 7-8 of the rounds. After round 1 I genuinely thought Haney was cruising to an 11-1 win, he was cruising and there were times it felt like Garcia was running, but as soon as he found that left hook everything changed. The last 4 rounds were all drama. Haney did well to survive it.

I think this will go down as a bit of a historic win. Garcia is gonna look like he's played a complete blinder with the way the fight was built up, then going in and beating a guy who sits on top of some pound4pound lists. There'll be a film made about it one day.

ÌThe win will always be tarnished by Garcia coming in overweight by 3lbs and making no effort to lose it. Haney knew the left hook was the threat and couldn't get away from it enough. I heard about some of the build up before the fight on and off, whether real or just playing games, I have no idea. Garcia has always been someone who has come across as desperate and craving attention badly.  I assume there will be a rematch some point down the line but at a catch weight or at Welterweight. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Might as well bump the thread for this:

canelo.thumb.jpeg.fa10feccac5555d8abe8a6bf1880edec.jpeg

Build up felt pretty flat until ol' Oscar started running his mouth at the presser. This is not a fight most wanted, but I do think it delivers.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊