This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

was some chat about it in the Boxing News thread, but big Boxxer show going down on Sunday evening, pretty deep looking card. Worth noting this is going to be on Sky Showcase too, so no Sky Sports subscription needed.

Pretty much have interest in every fight on the card, cracking stuff from Boxxer.

GJSUrQEWgAAfxGd.thumb.jpg.71449491b6312ccef83214b61e7d2050.jpg

Not to be outdone, couple good shows taking place over in America. Top Rank with this tonight (on Sky Sports):

GFI2f2WWEAAh_JS.thumb.jpg.a6a3d7f58ce0c0213fe9f27c66687489.jpg

then Amazon Prime presents their first PBC PPV offering on Saturday night (unfortunately not on Amazon over here, Fite TV has it).

GJzz2miXoAAoy9S.thumb.jpg.3835b66a5532e6062ffef0acd8ecc86b.jpg

Some weekend of boxing. Happy Easter.

That looks like Selt Gyimah, aka Freezy Macbones, became a talking point after a viral sparring KO video and has boxed professionally on Queensberrry shows. Don't really know too much about him to be honest but I'm pretty sure that's him. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Don’t know him but I now wanna see him get chinned 🤣

Edit - nah wait it’s Ben Whitaker. The others will probably know more. I’m haven’t been as balls deep in Boxing lately as I used to be. I don’t think he’s a YouTuber. He might be. He is a Naz tribute act though. Entertaining so far from the very little I’ve seen of him but he was clowning really outmatched opposition in the footage I’ve seen. Remains to be seen what he’s got as he steps up.

Edit again - yeah, only just realised you’re on about the other guy. It’s been a long week 🤣

Edited by wandshogun09

I was reading about this earlier, it's an unbeaten Nigerian called Ezra Arenyeka who's fought mostly in Africa and Latin America. Based in Sale, though.

I don't know him, but my guess is he's next up for a vacant title of some description and Boxxer are trying to slide Whittaker in as his opponent. The stunt is probably just to try and get some hype behind Ben, as Boxxer are a bit flat at the minute.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Whatever the fella's name is, i'm behind him. Whittaker had a pop at the main man Andy Clarke at the presser and that's something you don't do:

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Ezra Arenyeka who's fought mostly in Africa and Latin America. Based in Sale, though.

That man must have known some hard times because Sale is a shithole. 

Whittaker is a bellend but I've got no problem with him doing that dancing stuff, provided he does it to the world championship contenders and not just to the binmen and uber drivers he has fought so far. 

Whittaker has been doing all that malarkey since day dot, even in Team GB sparring sessions. 

I think his talent is obvious, and his athletic ability is great. I think at the same time though there is something about Whittaker that is just forced. They make Naz comparisons but Naz was smooth with it, and it just felt authentic, I just don't get that with Whittaker but that's just me. 

13 minutes ago, NeverYield said:

Whittaker has been doing all that malarkey since day dot, even in Team GB sparring sessions. 

I think his talent is obvious, and his athletic ability is great. I think at the same time though there is something about Whittaker that is just forced. They make Naz comparisons but Naz was smooth with it, and it just felt authentic, I just don't get that with Whittaker but that's just me. 

I think its contrived too, but I'd say for good reason.

You can only guarantee you will get the big fights in your career if you're both good enough and people know who you are/care about you. I think Ben knows he's better than his level, and doesn't want to take the time others have to fighting people below them whilst they build their profile fighting around the country and on TV... I think hes trying to shortcut to notoriety so he can get bigger fights sooner than others might.

6 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think its contrived too, but I'd say for good reason.

You can only guarantee you will get the big fights in your career if you're both good enough and people know who you are/care about you. I think Ben knows he's better than his level, and doesn't want to take the time others have to fighting people below them whilst they build their profile fighting around the country and on TV... I think hes trying to shortcut to notoriety so he can get bigger fights sooner than others might.

Yeah I agree there, it might not be everyone's cup of tea but you have to be realistic and admit that it is likely going to work. 

Shortcut to notoriety for bigger fights is something I can definitely see happening for him. Another thing about these controversial characters is whether you love them or hate them you're going to tune in, and at the end of the day it's good for the sport. That video of Whittaker leaping about in his last fight has become a meme in circles that aren't even sports related never mind boxing.

6 minutes ago, NeverYield said:

Yeah I agree there, it might not be everyone's cup of tea but you have to be realistic and admit that it is likely going to work. 

Shortcut to notoriety for bigger fights is something I can definitely see happening for him. Another thing about these controversial characters is whether you love them or hate them you're going to tune in, and at the end of the day it's good for the sport. That video of Whittaker leaping about in his last fight has become a meme in circles that aren't even sports related never mind boxing.

If he's good enough, it's smart too.

Plenty of talented boxers who spent far too long poncing about on undercards taking risky fights they shouldn't have to against underrated regional fighters, because their wasn't the public demand or money to make the risk of pushing them up worth it.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz