This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Fabio's got some dog in him. He took some hellacious shots last night and didnt look phased really until the end of round 12. 

Watch it back. I spotted it at the time (aren't I great), and was discussing in real time with Danny from SecondsOut, but it was even more apparent after the second time of watching; Fabio's movement significantly changed around Round 6/7 and got more pronounced from thereon. He was awkwardly pawing at his nose after eating shots, lifting his head out of exchanges, turning away and exaggeratedly ducking. That nose changed the fight for him dramatically, and quite early. It's the one thing giving me pause for the rematch, in that as much as I think Frazer learns from last night and wins comfortably, it may be that he learns the wrong lessons and - free of a smashed up face - Fabio comes back next time and is able to be a much more efficient fighter, a truer version of himself, and can just front Frazer up a bit more and take him out.

• Paid Members

Fabio stated that the noise was more of an annoyance than anything because blood kept running into his eyes. I dont think it was as bad as it looked, he's always had a scar across his nose and it seems to open up anytime someone touches it. I think he was just knackered as the fight went on, still dangerous, but knackered.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

This weekend:

20240417_051331.thumb.jpg.c475fd36940b221ff0a78d5d7e906fa4.jpg

One of absolute weirdest builds to a fight ever. Should it even be happening? Who knows, but it is. Ryan Garcia is either doing the greatest troll job of all time, or he's genuinely in the midst of a full blown mental breakdown. I think it's the latter.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)
  • Paid Members

Obviously I hope it’s a troll job and there’s nothing serious going on with Garcia but that clip there, the way the camera pans out to reveal a completely bamboozled Haney just cracks me up 🤣

• Paid Members

Boys cheese done fell off his cracker. 

I cant wait for it, I actually think we may see an Oliver McCall style in-ring meltdown here. A fight of this calibre shouldn't really have the car crash TV factor being its main source of interest though.

• Paid Members

Garcia weighed in 3lb heavy and has apparently honored the agreement to pay Haney 500k for each lb over the limit he was. Dan Rafael doesn't think the whole Garcia thing is an act:

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Thought I’d bring this in here from the Fight Announcement thread. This was in response to Elle Brooke vs Paige VanZant being announced but it’s more about the general pisstaking from DAZN bumping their subscription price up by 50% a month but then putting all their best fights on PPV and charging extra on top of that. 

12 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

DAZN hikes up the subscription price 50% and offer up the Boxing equivalent of a bra and panties match from Raw in 2002? 

Coincidentally, I cancelled my subs today. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Can't blame you wand. they are starting to put all their bigger fights on PPV now and they still cranked the price up. It wouldn't have been so bad if they'd announced the increase with an announcement that they were adding some top tier football or something, but nothing. Really poor, and judging by the reaction, it's backfired, a lot of people are leaving the platform.

Fucking joke and goes completely against the line that was being spun when DAZN was launched. The whole thing was that “PPV was dead” and this was gonna provide Boxing fans with quality fights all in one place at a reasonable price. And ALL fights would be included in your monthly subs. No PPV whatsoever. Now we’ve got 3 PPVs in the next month or so.

Remember this?

IMG_8244.jpeg.27ff9303be77dc7f81079a52467dcd21.jpeg

IMG_8245.png.78d130f0ad7640240909da479e0e367d.png

The app/channel was something like £2.99 when it started. Obviously that was never gonna last. Think it went to £7.99 after that, then £9.99 or whatever. And I’d have been fine with paying that if they’d stuck to their word and had everything included in the monthly subscription. They’d have probably had me as a customer for life. Now it’s been hiked up to £14.99 a month but the vast majority of the fights I’m gonna be interested in, they’ll wanna charge another £20 or whatever on top of that! And not even at a discounted price for subscribers.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Oh they fucked it for sure. I do think DAZN had the right intentions to begin with, I think they probably found out pretty quickly that the model wasn't going to pay off. 

The initial trial price has always haunted them because a lot of people still throw the "it used to be £1.99" line at the even though it was always stated as a temporary trial price.

Im currently locked into a £9.99 a month price until next March. They are gonna need to drastically improve the content to make me lock in again though.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Im currently locked into a £9.99 a month price until next March. They are gonna need to drastically improve the content to make me lock in again though.

This is exactly the boat I’m in. I re-subscribed in March for AJ vs Ngannou and went for the year at £9.99 a month. So I’m good with that until next March but I’ve already cancelled so my sub will end in March. Just can’t be doing with it. Bollocks to the liberty taking greedy bastards. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Absolute madness. I’m still not sure if he just had us all over but I think Haney being a bit overrated by some and Garcia missing weight played their parts too. Crazy stuff though. 

Obviously this meeting of minds is what benefitted him most…

IMG_8951.png

IMG_8952.jpeg

Oh and this exchange between Eddie Hearn and Garcia’s old man killed me 🤣

Edited by wandshogun09