This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

avoiding the news sites this morning for other spoilers but I watched the MVP show from Puerto Rico.

First off Jake Paul got another first round stoppage, he looked ok but this was standard prospect vs. journeyman fair, he'll probably fight a couple more before the end of the year.

Amanda Serrano's fight got cancelled last minute. Not sure if there's any more info out there but going from what I saw on the actual broadcast, it mentioned Serrano wasn't cleared 36 hours before last nights show. So am I right in thinking they went ahead with the show knowing the fight wasn't going to happen? that's pretty shady if true. Nina Meinke was in the ring with her fists taped so im assuming they tried to squeak it past the commision on the night. Announced they'll refund 1.5 million dollars worth of tickets though.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Did anyone else catch the Otabek v Ford fight from the weekend? A really good fight with a great finish. If you haven't then I recommend thar you do. 

I definitely choose to watch the wrong show last weekend

On 3/3/2024 at 1:23 PM, Egg Shen said:

First off Jake Paul got another first round stoppage, he looked ok but this was standard prospect vs. journeyman fair, he'll probably fight a couple more before the end of the year.

I'm guessing boxing fans finally got what they wanted from him then? When he was fighting "names" from MMA and so on, all I saw on social media was boxing fans saying he should be doing things the right way, fighting actual boxers and so on.

So Paul, at 1-1 in "proper boxing," going against a relative journeyman who had a 17-2 record seems about right. It should be said that in his last two fights, he stopped a fighter with a 10-1 record and the aforementioned 17-2 record in the first round. 

Funnily enough, the response from those same boxing fans on Twitter hasn't been to acknowledge that he's going down the proper route.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Let's face it, though - to someone like Paul, the chance to be able to say he was in the ring with (and beat) Mike Tyson, even as he is now, will be a huge motivation. He's a fanboy, and also someone who runs on clout and kudos. Besides, he was a kid when Tyson retired from proper boxing, so he wouldn't get "legit props" for it - he'll just have to settle for publicity and lots of cash that it will inevitably generate.

Edited by Carbomb

10 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I dont think they give toss to be honest. That said any good will he may have generated has evaporated with that Tyson announcement.

Well, the comments on any social media posts talking about him would suggest differently. It's gotten to the point where many boxing sites are posting reports if Paul farts during his sleep because they know it draws more engagement than most other boxing-related content. 

I personally hope he doesn't give a shit what the boxing fans say or think. The truth is, there's no boxer alive who isn't in the professional game to get rich and famous. They can pretend it's all about winning titles and being seen as the best, but none of that pays the bills on the mansion.

The Tyson fight will earn both men a lot of money, and if we're honest, it's nothing more than a glorified sparring session. I don't think the 38-year-old Tyson who lost to Kevin McBride would beat Jake Paul today, so the 57 year old Mike who we see today has next to no chance.

Sadly, it really depends how seriously Paul takes it. I honestly think if he went in there with intent to hurt it could end really badly for Tyson, but I think there will be an unspoken agreement between them that this is a show and nothing else.

• Paid Members

It's probably going to be an exhibition with bigger gloves too, there'd no way Tyson gets sanctioned for a pro bout.

It's an interesting move by Paul. Though he does get the engagement, last weekends fight came and went without a whimper. Take away the 'hook' from a marketing standpoint and you have a half decent prospect boxing journeyman with dressed up records. I dont think those fights appeal to boxing fans nor Jake Paul fans. The Tyson fight is way more on brand.

It's like anything isn't it. Wrestling for example. The biggest gates are when it catches the casual and mainstream audience. 

Jake Paul catches the general hype beast viewer doest he, i said on here before his last fight he was looking better on the pads and in the gym but i genuinely didn't watch his fight but I heard from all who did, that it was a total waste of time and a load of rubbish. He's got a huge general entertainment audience from his YouTube alone and kudos to him. And ol tyson, 5mill for a little move about sweet.

Like tonight's aj card is massive cos of the causal interest its garnered. Louis greene just got a fantastic first round ko BTW, and don't sleep on madrimov vs kurbanov tonight. 

But fighting a 68 year old tyson does nothing but earn the pair of them a few mill, fair play to then. Other than that there's nothing honourable in it, it's like hitting someone on the sly, or bullying an old age pensioner, it's not cool and it's not impressive, but the both have the name from their respective areas of life, and they are set to earn millions, it's not anything more than that, they know that, the promotion knows that, and we know that. 

I haven't seen much mention of it at all to be honest, I've seen it mentioned but not in a dramatic fashion, more in a matter of fact oh this is happening kind of way.