This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Buatsi v Azeez was a decent fight. The first knockdown was more of a slip than the second but punches landed so counting both were harsh but you can see why it happened. I thought Buatsi could have finished him at the end but didn't because they were friends and he knew he'd won anyway. 

Benn seems to have lost some of the power in his punches, don't know why. The Romford Bull obliterated his own personal Besus in short order. I'm sure he'll find his level but it's an entertaining watch. 

Any reason why Buatsi is only now winning British and Commonwealth titles? I always compare him to Lawrence Okolie, as they went to 2016 Olympics and turned pro at the same time. Adjoining weight divisions as well. Okolie has already won, a world title, defended it a few times and lost it. It doesn't look like Buatsi has any extended layoffs in his career and his opponents looked decent but nothing amazing. Is he being held back for one reason or another?

Edited by Rossman

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Rossman said:

Any reason why Buatsi is only now winning British and Commonwealth titles? I always compare him to Lawrence Okolie, as they went to 2016 Olympics and turned pro at the same time. Adjoining weight divisions as well. Okolie has already won, a world title, defended it a few times and lost it. It doesn't look like Buatsi has any extended layoffs in his career and his opponents looked decent but nothing amazing. Is he being held back for one reason or another?

Buatsi has been British champion before but he's only been fighting once a year since 2019. Niggling injuries and the pandemic really slowed his momentum. 

• Paid Members

Conor Benn is becoming insufferable for me. Apparently Eubank “fumbled” and “lost his pen” so he’s not interested in Eubank now. Of course, that fight falling apart had nothing to do with Benn and his magic eggs.

Now he’s banging on about fighting Tank but will no doubt be announced as fighting an Uber driver instead. Shit’s played out at this point. Talks so much shit and nothing comes of it. 

• Paid Members
On 2/4/2024 at 4:39 PM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Buatsi v Azeez was a decent fight. The first knockdown was more of a slip than the second but punches landed so counting both were harsh but you can see why it happened. I thought Buatsi could have finished him at the end but didn't because they were friends and he knew he'd won anyway. 

Benn seems to have lost some of the power in his punches, don't know why. The Romford Bull obliterated his own personal Besus in short order. I'm sure he'll find his level but it's an entertaining watch. 

Felt it was fairly close until the 11th, the canvas played a part in both knock downs which was unfortunate. The cards were wider than I had it though so ultimately they didnt matter.

Ben Whittaker looked great, he's still going to piss as many people off that he has on his side, but you cant deny he's got some special promise.

I dont know whats happening with Benn, but they seem to trying to leap frog him from fighting a decent club level type fighter into elite world class, its a strange one. 

Good showing, Azeez much less pop than usual, back injury definitely played a part.

Buatsi did look well as usual, but I think his lack of power at the top levels will hurt him. 

I rate both guys but if I'm honest after watching that I think both may only win a version of a world title, I think at the top level they may fall short. Did being good friends come into it, who knows? Azeez had the back injury though and Buatsi momentum has been terrible with covid , the debacle with boxxer and sky, and a few little bits of injuries here and there. 

Yeah Azeez and Buatsi both get mauled by those two.

Whittaker and his charade vs opponents much lower than him is jarring. He's definitely got talent but I can't stand him. There's a clip of him using that style in a GB sparring session aswell.

Each to their own, and I don't mind a bit of razzmatazz here and there, but can't stand Whittaker. Will certainly be tuning in as he climbs the ranks though, for that day he gets tuned up.

Edited by NeverYield

Lopez against Taylor was back in his best form, a couple of times now we've seen Lopez when he is the favourite like he is here underperform, like he's another fighter who gives a better account of himself the better the opposition is. 

This is a really winnable fight for him though and one I fancy he will win.

As you say though, Thursday night fights, bit of a Bobby Bonus. 👍

• Paid Members

Teofimo looked awful, but did Ortiz do enough to win, probably not. I think as a challenger you should clearly win the fight. I think you could score it 115-113 either way or 114-114. I can't see 117-111, even if I'm Teofimo's grandma. It was a fucking dull fight though, I don't want to see a rematch.