This Weekend's Boxing šŸ„Š (5 vs. 5 - June 1st)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The moment everyone knew AJ vs Wilder was probably down the shitter.

image.gif.81837784dfd250eed77f411eb5e63003.gif

šŸ˜

We all said it, didnā€™t we? This was the card that was originally supposed to have AJ vs Wilder (and Fury vs Usyk) but got delayed again with all the Saudi shite behind the scenes. I get that there were reasons for all that but if you keep putting hurdles and obstacles in the way of the big fights, sooner or later shitā€™s gonna get fucked up. And here we are. Thought Joseph Parker had maybe his best performance here, looked better physically than I can remember seeing him as well. Had him winning probably 118-110 by the end. Him winning rounds wasnā€™t a shock really because Wilder doesnā€™t exactly fight to ā€˜win roundsā€™, heā€™s purely a KO hunter. But aside from a bit of urgency late on, Parker never really let him get in it, did a great job of avoiding most of Wilderā€™s big shots and even rocked him as seen in the gif there. Ā Great win for Parker and he seems a sound bloke. Happy for him in that way butā€¦for fuckā€™s sake. Just knew at least one of him or AJ were gonna drop a bollock going into last night. Hilarious seeing Wilder thinking heā€™d won at the end. What the fuck? šŸ¤£

Anyone catch the Eddie Hearn interview just after Parker vs Wilder?

IMG-1207.jpg

IMG-1206.jpg

Smug sod couldnā€™t hide his glee. He never wanted AJ vs Wilder anyway. Never seen a promoter look so chuffed about a massive fight falling to bits. He couldnā€™t wait to put the boot in. Granted, Wilder didnā€™t look good but thatā€™s always the risk when a guy is so knockout minded. If the big KO doesnā€™t come and youā€™ve let rounds slip by, this can be the result. Fast Eddieā€™s smugness actually made me wanna see AJ lose to Wallin after. At that point I just thought ā€˜fuck itā€™ and decided to root for the most messed up and shite outcome.

AJ looked good though, to be fair. Best heā€™s looked since the Usyk losses anyway. Not too much to say about this. Once Wilder lost, a good chunk of my interest in AJ vs Wallin disappeared. Definitely felt like Wallinā€™s corner pulling him out was the right move. He was taking a beating and offering very little in return. No need to prolong that.

Saw AJ saying heā€™d still be up for fighting Wilder. Iā€™d love to see it just because it really feels like that oneā€™s gonna get away if it doesnā€™t happen soon. But I canā€™t see it now. Wilderā€™s already mentioning retirement and Hearnā€™s banging the AJ vs Fury drum again. Last thing heā€™d wanna do is take the risk on throwing AJ in with Wilder. Especially now Wilderā€™s coming off a loss and a bad performance, giving Eddie the perfect excuse to shoot it down. Joshua vs Hrgovic next?

Bivol did his thing as expected but it left me a bit cold, to be honest. Beat Lyndon Arthur by wide decision but not much to say about it really. Not Bivolā€™s most impressive performance, he dominated and got the late knockdown but it felt like Arthur was mostly just content to go the distance as a bit of a moral victory. And he was certainly tough enough to do that. But I donā€™t know, just feels like Bivol should shine more in fights like this. Need to see Bivol vs Beterbiev in 2024 before itā€™s too late.

Dubois vs Miller was good stuff. Babyface vs heel dynamic to it and mega satisfying to see DDD find the finish literally in the last minute of the fight. Aside from a round or two in the middle where he looked a tad shaky and it was starting to look like Miller might outlast and outwork him, Dubois battered him for the bulk of the fight, then topped it off with that late stoppage. Loved it. Should be a big confidence booster for Dubois. Whatever you think of Miller, heā€™s durable as fuck and genuinely doesnā€™t seem to budge no matter what you throw at him. Dubois broke him down and looked to be well on his way to scoring a brutal clean KO before the ref mercifully stepped in.

IMG-1210.jpg

It was nice to see them embrace after the fight and I saw a fair bit of positivity about that. But then Miller was straight in letting everyone know it was all because heā€™d been inactive/took the fight on short notice. I didnā€™t think he came off quite as gracious in defeat as it seems many did but whatever.

Kabayel vs Makhmudov was great fun. Makhmudovā€™s monster aura kind of got shattered here. Still a big scary cunt, no doubt. But Kabayel refused to be bullied and chopped the big lump down with those body shots. Really enjoyed this. Wasnā€™t pretty and Makhmudovā€™s style is sloppy but heā€™s dangerous and there was always that feeling he might pull the KO out. But Kabayel handled him beautifully.Ā 

Jai Opetaia KO was vicious.

image.gif.1bf01e0c35b35bfac04d19399ea653d4.gif

But I canā€™t say Iā€™m familiar with Ellis Zorro so I donā€™t know how impressive a win it actually was. From what Iā€™ve read, he wasnā€™t the best of opponents for Opetaia. Hopefully weā€™ll see some tougher tests for him next year because if theyā€™re pushing the ā€œbest Cruiserweight in the worldā€ thing then I wanna see more. Was relieved to see Zorro got up and was moving about. Was a nasty knockout and whenever you see a KO like that and the guy lands with his neck bouncing off the bottom rope, itā€™s a worrying sight.Ā 

Didnā€™t think much of Hrgovic vs De Mori. Felt like a mismatch and played out like one. Sounds like Hrgovic is gonna get the AJ fight next but honestly I think Iā€™d rather see Kabayel get that fight after taking and winning a much riskier fight against Makhmudov on this card than Hrgovicā€™s layup against De Mori here.

Oh and look at the fucking state of itā€¦

IMG-1212.jpg

Thereā€™s a clip of GAD interviewing him doing the rounds and itā€™s embarrassing. From Conor clearly being off his tits to GAD licking arse to the point it looked like he was gonna go in for a kiss at one point. Just a pair of absolute cringeballs. Conor was banging on about fighting Manny Pacquiao to anyone who would listen from the few clips Iā€™ve seen. Just a shambles of a man.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

There were two big takeaways for me, watching that show.

One, I think Dubois grew up in front of our eyes and it could prove to be a turning point for him. Around rounds 2/3/4 he started to panic and get tired, yet he calmed himself down, executed the advice he was getting in the corner and looked fantastic in those final few rounds. I hope that was him learning he's good enough to remain calm, breath and continue boxing through choppy waters.

Second, Wilder's out. That's why he lost that fight. He didn't care when the decision was read out and his post fight interview was about how he's not sure he cares anymore, he's got plenty of money etc etc... he's checked out mentally, so it's time someone tells him to call it in.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

There were two big takeaways for me, watching that show.

One, I think Dubois grew up in front of our eyes and it could prove to be a turning point for him. Around rounds 2/3/4 he started to panic and get tired, yet he calmed himself down, executed the advice he was getting in the corner and looked fantastic in those final few rounds. I hope that was him learning he's good enough to remain calm, breath and continue boxing through choppy waters.

Second, Wilder's out. That's why he lost that fight. He didn't care when the decision was read out and his post fight interview was about how he's not sure he cares anymore, he's got plenty of money etc etc... he's checked out mentally, so it's time someone tells him to call it in.

I hope you are right about Dubois daz. As much as we forget Parker is only 31 we also forget Dubois is only 26. Plenty of time for him to grow.Ā 

As for Deontay... if you mention finding peace through ayahuasca in your post match interview, you've not just checked out, you've tuned in and dropped out.Ā 

• Paid Members

Sorry to bring it back to McGregor but Frank Warren tweeted this pic and itā€™s killed me. Love the way heā€™s specifically chosen a picture from when Conorā€™s presumably pissed off to do a few lines. Look at these four enjoying a few minutes peace before the prick comes backā€¦

IMG_1237.jpeg

5 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Yep. I totally agree with this. Heā€™s made for life, he knows he peaked and heā€™s happy. I wish him all the best in his quest for peace. Proper Ax not bothering with face paint vibes.Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone after some fights this weekend? First half decent card of the year is on DAZN.

ortiz-vs-lawson2.thumb.jpg.43a778cc29b0ae7173abf55c7265a2ac.jpg

Vergil Ortiz returns after a long lay off. The better fight iz Ohara Davies/Ismael Barroso in the co-main. Decent.

• Paid Members

Ohara Davies is his own worst enemy at times but he's only lost to Catteral and Josh Taylor so he's a pretty decent level of fighter. Barroso will always have a special place in my heart for ironing out Kevin Mitchell at Wembley. There is nothing a Millwall fan likes more than getting to see a West Ham fan knocked out, then seeing it again in slow motion from multiple angles. Not as funny as when he got starched by Michael Katsidis at Upton Park but still beautiful.Ā 

• Paid Members

Well, it didn't go well for Ohara Davies:

His first fight on his new Golden Boy contract and dusted in a round. I quite fancied Barroso here, he was a big 7/2 underdog but was coming off that weird fight where he was ahead against Rolly Romero and stopped prematurely by Tony Weeks (who completely ballsed up last nights main event as well). Not really sure why Barrosso was such an outsider in the fight, proved that way.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I dunno where that price came from considering Barroso gave Rolly all he could handle last year and was robbed by Weeks.

Edited by Egg Shen