This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I’m not sure about the Baumgardner vs Mayer decision being a robbery. I thought Mayer might’ve had it but felt like it was mega close. Mayer no doubt had the middle rounds but I felt like Baumgardner did good work in the early and late rounds. I didn’t sit with a pen and paper meticulously scoring it round by round but I felt like it could’ve gone either way or even been a draw when it was over. If anything I thought the commentary was a bit biased towards Mayer. I don’t know. I can certainly see having Mayer winning. But I’m not really seeing it as outrageous to score it for Baumgardner. “Mardy” Mayer stropping off after wasn’t a good look either. Although neither was Baumgardner refusing any talk of doing a rematch so…

Shields vs Marshall was class. Really good fight. No doubt who the winner was here, it was Shields all day. But Marshall won’t have lost much stock in defeat here with the way she fought. And as much as I enjoyed the shit talking back and forth since talk of the fight first started, it’s been nice to see them giving each other the respect post-fight.

Really great night for womens Boxing that, to have a main and co-main of that quality in build up, anticipation and then actually delivering on the night. Good stuff from all involved. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I’m not sure about the Baumgardner vs Mayer decision being a robbery. I thought Mayer might’ve had it but felt like it was mega close. Mayer no doubt had the middle rounds but I felt like Baumgardner did good work in the early and late rounds. I didn’t sit with a pen and paper meticulously scoring it round by round but I felt like it could’ve gone either way or even been a draw when it was over. If anything I thought the commentary was a bit biased towards Mayer. I don’t know. I can certainly see having Mayer winning. But I’m not really seeing it as outrageous to score it for Baumgardner. “Mardy” Mayer stropping off after wasn’t a good look either. Although neither was Baumgardner refusing any talk of doing a rematch so…

Fair points but I just didnt see Baumgarnder winning a majority of the rounds, 3 or 4 maybe and if you really looked for it maybe a draw, but there's no way she won more than that. Good fight though.

I didn't get to see Haney/Kambosos. I flicked through the Sky channels and a repeat was on in the 11th round so I left it. Disappointingly it was was one sided as everyone had feared it might be. Kambosos is the Buster Douglas of the lighter divisions, poor fucker. 

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Paul vs. Silva - October 29th)
  • Paid Members

anyone up for Paul/Silva this weekend?

FfbprBTXoAAri5f.jpg.bc8f0bb81ed9375bc5764ae35b116b30.jpg

The build has been a strange one. The cocky, shit talking Jake Paul has been replaced by someone who's almost in awe of who he's getting into the ring with. It's not helped build the anticipation for me, but I still want to see the fight. 

People will shit on it, but I think it's great to see Anderson back in a real spotlight position. Of all the MMA fighters who have made the late career move into boxing, it feels like Anderson has done it the best way, he kept quiet, came in and just showcased a pretty impressive set of skills for a guy in his mid-40's. He's arguably the only guy who's added to his legacy in a positive way since moving over. Obviously, losing to Jake Paul might put a dent in that, but i really don't see him losing this.

Jake Paul looked terrible in the second Woodley fight, and that was against a static target who barely threw a punch. Unless Anderson has gone off a cliff, I just don't see Paul coping with Anderson's movement, craftiness or power. Anderson should eat a basic, conventional, novice boxer for breakfast, shouldn't he?

There was some drama this week when Anderson told a reporter he'd been knocked out twice in sparring, he since backtracked on the comments but there was a moment where the commission were gonna potentially pull the bout, but it's since been given the go ahead.

There's a whole bunch of other boxing on this weekend too, Katie Taylor is fighting in London on DAZN which feels like a real damp squib of a return after the Serrano fight, but i'll be watching. Lomachenko is back out against Jamaine Ortiz (live on Sky), a fight which has a fight poster worth posting.

Ff2MDd4XwAEvOA7.thumb.jpg.7ed58b60770064a3b46f464aa913f13a.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

Looking forward to Jordan Gill v Kiko Martinez on the Katie Taylor undercard. Gill had his Rocky moment against Karim Guerfi and knocked him out to win the European title. I think this is a world title eliminator. Martinez is still super tough, he broke Josh Warrington's jaw in the last fight. Gill is super slick but doesn't have heavy hands so keeping Kiko off him for 12 rounds is going to be a tough task. Hardest fight of Gill's career.

• Paid Members

Such a weird thing that the guy marking out like the biggest mark that ever marked is the one making money for the legend. Fucked up, too, but at least he acknowledges that.

Just watched the Paul vs silva fight live and I've got some genuine take aways straight away.

Like the Paul vs woodley fights the commentary is so fucking bad I turned the sound off near the end, on top of that I understand that man is your boss and owner of the company but if your job is to do live play by play commentary you should fucking do that job not completely overlook and under play what his opponent is doing in there. 

The referee was also fucking beyond anything I've seen before in a combat setting because I'm fucking pretty sure he went to Andersons corner before the start of round 7 or 8 and said he was taking a point away for throwing punches after the bell however the absolute problem in that is Anderson fucking threw nothing close to a punch after the bell had gone, and also he didn't once get on the case of Paul for holding the clinch and not letting go after being told. 

The last absolute bullshit point Is the overall judges scorecards, I am not for 1 second crying it was a robbery HOWEVER 2 of the 3 judges fucking scored it a 78-73........ I mean if you are going to be completely biased and do bullshit like this don't go with a scorecard that unbelievably bad because that is going to now be a source of disrepute for the overall fight.

That being said I will say I thought Jake Paul won this fight when he got the knock down in the last round, he is very fucking talented and you can't take that away from him overall but those points above really do fucking make his talents and career feel less earned and somewhat bought.