This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

well, the fight ended up being a disappointment.

I think the initial feelings that most had when the fight was initially announced rang true on the night. This was an elite fight too far for GGG. For 8 rounds he wasn't in it, Canelo was handily 8 rounds up and it wasn't until round 9 where GGG seemed to gain some kind of sense of urgency. In the week leading upto the fight i'd properly been sold on the idea that this was going to be a repeat of the first two fights, that GGG had one great performance left in him, but it wasn't to be. 

The scorecards were off again though, according to two, GGG was one round away from having this fight scored a majority draw which was mental. I gave GGG two rounds, 3 at absolute most.

On the subject of the trilogy though, I wonder if there's been another high level one where in 36 rounds of fighting, neither man was visibly hurt by the other. That's pretty mad.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Joyce vs. Parker - September 24th)
  • Paid Members

the lack of reaction here pretty much sums up Canelo/GGG, what a deflating fight.

Anyway's tomorrow, BT PPV offers up this:

FakrzN8VUAApVJh.thumb.jpg.ef98212de03339f3743a672e6a51127c.jpg#

It's a solid card. The bookies slate reflects as most of these fights are close with them. 

Most people seem to be leaning Joyce in the main event. I'm going the opposite and am leaning Parker. Joyce has fought decent opponents until now but he's yet to be in with a top heavyweight in (or close too) his prime that is tried and testing in long, gruelling fights. I expect Parker to take an early lead and whilst most think Joyce will do his thing and wear Parker down, I think this may be the fight when Joyce doesn't close the deficit. Parker for the upset. 

The actual buildup has been predictably weird. They lean into Joyce's general awkwardness and whilst it's been different it hardly gets me fired up for a fight 😄

FdWZAi5WAAQ8RL9.thumb.jpg.dca2b8b08c561f3e99787d9538bbafa6.jpg

Cool to see Amanda Serrano on the card too. It's random, but it adds a nice bit of star power.

Matchroom also has a show on over on DAZN from Nottingham:

FdWqPoTWIAEOsjd.png.42958627b236c745fcb6eeae0bc1770c.png

This was meant to have the Leigh Wood/Mauricio Lara fight on it, that dropped off and this is what we are left with. It's not great but i'll be taking advantage of my sub.

Galahad and Harper are favorites to win, but both are stepping up multiple divisions tomorrow so these are risky fights. I really hope Galahad/Hughes delivers. People are fearing the worst given the style, Galahad is also coming off that shocking KO to Kiko Martinez.

Saturday night boxing.

• Paid Members

Had a couple of days to digest it, but i can't help but feel that I don't know if there's a heavyweight on the planet that can beat Joe Joyce. What an absolute one-off he is. I think Joe Parker did himself a bit of disservice by coming in so heavy and attempting to meet Joyce head on, but the team probably decided that was his best course of action. Joyce was just relentless, marching forward throwing clubbing shots and eating everything Parker threw back. It's gonna take some effort to beat him.

Sometimes hype on a fighter can be a little enflated, but the whole Joyce spin of 'great engine, granite chin' just appears to be true. The guy is a machine. Anyone who can't deal with that pressure and doesn't come in in ridiculous condition is just gonna drown against him. What a performance.

For some kind of context, Joyce threw 844 punches in 11 rounds. That's over 250 punches more than Joshua/Klitschko threw combinded in their "classic" a few years ago, and 500 more than Fury threw at Wilder in their first fight. 

FddOcKOXgAIhb3G.thumb.jpg.087b37da807863184fee4209a1dcc541.jpg

9 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Had a couple of days to digest it, but i can't help but feel that I don't know if there's a heavyweight on the planet that can beat Joe Joyce.

Same as every other heavyweight out there just now, he won't beat an in-form and switched-on Tyson Fury. When Fury is on his game, he's untouchable.

• Paid Members

I'd love to see it. Tyson would need to be in the shape of his life to beat Joyce, he's a unique challenge, and i genuinely don't know if he'd be up to the task. I don't think it's a fight he'll take either at this stage.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

I'd love to see it. Tyson would need to be in the shape of his life to beat Joyce, he's a unique challenge, and i genuinely don't know if he'd be up to the task. I don't think it's a fight he'll take either at this stage.

Of course he'd be up to the task. Fury is easily the most gifted heavyweight of this generation. And probably a good few generations if we're honest. The only wildcard with him is how switched on he is for any given fight. He seems to fight to the level of his opponent. 

How many people saw his fight with Wallin and thought that Wilder would spark him based on that performance? In fact, you were among them. 

On 2/20/2020 at 12:40 AM, Egg Shen said:

Going into this im surprised that so little is being made of the Fury/Wallin fight and the strange case of Fury's camp leading upto this. It almost feels like everyone is just seeing this as instant rematch of the first fight. 

I think theres more to read into Fury's poor follow performance against Otto Wallin though and how the camp that got him back into contention has fallen apart in the wake of that fight. Im favouring Wilder here. I know Fury appears to be a big game player and shows up when he really needs too but i just think Deontay gets it done.

The big question is, how would Fury view a fight with Joyce? As something on the same level as Usyk, Joshua or Wilder? Or would he see it as a step down and go into pissing about mode? That's the only way he's coming close to losing this fight.

Who has Joe Joyce beaten? He's had 14 fights and hasn't really fought anyone at the very top of the division. I'd fancy Fury to look iffy the first few rounds until he realises that Joyce is something of a threat, then he'd turn the screws and get him out of there late on. 

But you're right on one thing. The fight won't happen. He won't take it, and why would he? He's already beaten his fair share of mid-division types. By the time Joyce moves into the upper echelons of the division Fury will be gone. 

Fury only wants Joshua or potentially Usyk. Outside of those two there's no one for him.

• Paid Members

Yet, he's talking about fighting Manuel Charr in December 😄

Joyce's record is solid for being 15-0. He's been matches smartly against passed their best names, but it's solid. That said, Parker was his best win so far granted.

I'm basing it purely on the eye test and from what i'm seeing, Joe Joyce is a big problem for anyone to fight. 

Edited by Egg Shen

8 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I'm basing it purely on the eye test and from what i'm seeing, Joe Joyce is a big problem for anyone to fight. 

Yeah, but you've been looking for someone to topple Fury for a while now really, so you're probably looking more favourably at Joyce than most people are.

• Paid Members

That's not the case, I think most people who watched Saturday's performance have had the same kind of view, Joyce really announced himself on the world stage. He fought one of the most durable and battle tested 12 round fighters out there and he took him apart. 

Maybe its recency bias, but I have a hard time seeing anyone beating him. That includes Fury, Joshua, Wilder & Usyk.

Edited by Egg Shen

41 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Maybe its recency bias, but I have a hard time seeing anyone beating him. That includes Fury, Joshua, Wilder & Usyk.

It is recency bias. 

Parker went to a decision twice with Chisora recently. I'm not saying Joyce isn't a good fighter, because he is, but he beat Joseph Parker. Cool the jets a little. A win over Parker isn't a sign that he's taking out Fury, Joshua, Wilder and Usyk.

You put Joyce in there with Usyk or Fury and he loses in my opinion. Against Wilder? He perhaps has a chance, although his demise has been greatly exaggerated when he's only lost to the very best in the division. 

Basically, calm down. Let's see Joyce at least trouble one of the big four.