This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Recency bias or not, i'd pick Joyce over Joshua or Wilder now with confidence. If either man didn't have Joyce out of there by half way they'd both lose.

Usyk and Fury are the fights I really want too see, I would love to see both, like I said originally, he's just a unique challenge for anyone.

13 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Usyk and Fury are the fights I really want too see, I would love to see both, like I said originally, he's just a unique challenge for anyone.

Usyk would be an interesting one for sure. Fury is just too good, and too big. Not to mention that he's now shown he isn't just a point-boxer. He did what most thought impossible and absolutely went toe-to-toe with Wilder. A guy with that size, skill and diversity in his game? How can you even begin to prepare for that?

• Paid Members

The size thing is part of the appeal. One of Fury's biggest assets is his sheer size. He won't have much of a size advantage over Joyce. 

Joe-Joyce-and-Tyson-Fury-Instagram-@joejoyceboxing.thumb.webp.6dca22f05ba152bb70208827e669e4b1.webp

I get your points, but on the flip side, how do you prepare for Joe Joyce? If you go back and read the last page, I actually picked Parker to beat Joyce, I thought he'd hit and move and outwork Joyce on pure movement alone, Joyce took that away from him instantly. I don't know if it was part of Parker's plan to stand his ground and fight Joyce? if it was it was a big mistake. It could be that Parker simply couldn't deal with the relentless pressure and non-stop punching and was forced to back up constantly.  I would love to see how Fury would attempt to tackle that, it's fascinating.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

true, its fantasy matchmaking.

Roll on Fury vs. Charr 😒

I have to admit, that's a real let-down if they go with that fight. I really hope they don't.

I also have to say, I think in this instance that Fury never really intended to fight Joshua. He set an unrealistic deadline for the contract to be signed, and most likely knew it wouldn't be met.

Shame.

• Paid Members

It's an absolute shambles of a situation.

That said, the amount of people who get swayed by a click bait type headline is crazy. I had a guy come up to me in work yesterday and flat out say 'I think Joshua is scared of him so he's not signing the contract', like signing a piece of paper is what's stopping this from happening. There's so much to it than that, Eddie Hearn stated last week that the contract they received was a mess and basically violating all of Joshua's commercial and sponsorship deals so it all had to be ironed out and it would take time. Then you have Manuel Charr claiming he's already signed the bout agreement to fight Fury on December 3rd, and was doing so before Fury even started with the deadline stuff. It's easy to feel that Joshua called Fury's bluff by accepting everything, but then you have to wonder how Fury's team feel because the negotiations and contract exchange all seems to be legit. They can't be happy with Fury just pulling the plug on a whim.

The whole Manuel Charr baffles me. Charr keeps himself somewhat relevant all the time without ever taking meaningful fights. The guy's been knocking around for years, he's been linked to fights with Fury before as well as David Haye. I don't really get the appeal of Tyson even entertaining the fight at this stage.

• Paid Members

From a complete casual's point of view, it seems to me that the absolute top tier of boxing is just rotten now in terms of business, if they can't even stop playing games long enough to actually make a match. That is the entire point of the boxing industry, no? 

It also strikes me that, when I hear about a lot of these contract wrangles, it sounds a little like one party is more trying to humiliate the other with them, either by the contract itself, or by the public shaming and shit-talking that occurs later when the other fighter quite reasonably refuses.

I suppose the pertinent question is: if not Joshua or Usyk, who, then, is an appropriate opponent for Fury that he will accept?

Edited by Carbomb

I'm a Fury fan, but even I think he's at it here. He's blatantly given Joshua's team no time to go over the contracts and get things in order before he's on social media making a complete wally of himself as usual.

Joshua is the only money fight out there for him. Usyk to a lesser degree. If he's not fighting either of those, he should call it a day (and delete his Twitter).

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

From a complete casual's point of view, it seems to me that the absolute top tier of boxing is just rotten now in terms of business, if they can't even stop playing games long enough to actually make a match. That is the entire point of the boxing industry, no? 

It also strikes me that, when I hear about a lot of these contract wrangles, it sounds a little like one party is more trying to humiliate the other with them, either by the contract itself, or by the public shaming and shit-talking that occurs later when the other fighter quite reasonably refuses.

I suppose the pertinent question is: if not Fury or Usyk, who, then, is an appropriate opponent for Fury that he will accept?

It's a complete mess. The different sanctioning bodies, broadcasters as well as ego and promoters not wanting to concede to others make fights really hard to make, it also makes it very frustrating to be a fan, but at the same time you just learn to accept the bullshit. When these new Fury/Joshua talks started and everyone got very excited, my initial feelings were 'won't happen'. I think you just default to worst case scenario because stuff rarely comes off.

A good example was the whole '4 Princes' situation a couple of years ago, remember that? Teofimo Lopez beat Lomachenko and there was this massive push in the media about the Four Princes, an updated take on the legendady 4 Kings rivalries of the 80's. You had Lopez, Haney, Davis and Garcia (and Shakur Stevenson if you wanted to make it 5), all being talked about as the next big thing, all the same weight, and all undefeated. 2 and a half years later not one of them have fought each other, but they are still talking about it. It's a joke really.

As for the Fury fight question, it's only about Usyk and Joshua really. I think Joshua has the option to go rebuild a little but when there's a nailed on number 1 & 2 like Fury and Usyk, they have to fight. The AJ fight only really makes sense because it's such a financial juggernaut, plus it's something people have wanted for years. I don't really have an issue with Fury ticking over in December if it means we get the Usyk fight next year, but the whole dangling of the Joshua carrot has just turned everyone against it. If Fury had just announced Manuel Charr from the start I think people would have accepted it. It was already stated that Joshua was going to have a bit of a soft return fight in mid-December, and no one was complaining. 

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, David said:

I'm a Fury fan, but even I think he's at it here. He's blatantly given Joshua's team no time to go over the contracts and get things in order before he's on social media making a complete wally of himself as usual.

Joshua is the only money fight out there for him. Usyk to a lesser degree. If he's not fighting either of those, he should call it a day (and delete his Twitter).

I've actually become a bit of a fan of Fury over the past few years, and it's just exasperating that someone with his talent is spending more effort on the backstage shenanigans than the in-ring. Given his record and status, he should be in fear of no-one (not literally, "in fear", I'm sure he's not ducking anyone - just in terms of hesitance for whatever reason).

Don't get me wrong: boxing's a short, damaging career, and I don't blame him for picking and choosing at this stage. But there's picking and choosing, and then there's taking the piss. 

Shit, or get off the pot.

Edited by Carbomb

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Wilder vs. Helenius - October 15th)
  • Paid Members

After the shit show of the last 2 weeks, Boxing needs a big weekend of fights. This week about delivers that as there's a shit load on, here's the main 3:

20221012_160953.thumb.jpg.910cf56f44e85f3194b4ceb16e70584f.jpg

20221012_161743.thumb.jpg.72dec7b6652d8f7b524881c524160d48.jpg

20221012_161413.thumb.jpg.c3074aaae2755e423a634abd6c2ba938.jpg

Not sure which one im looking forward to the most, probably Shields/Marshall but I really wanna see Wilder's return, if aint all in on this it may be a harder night than most are predicting. I still see Shields beating Marshall comfortably on points, my opinion hasn't changed on that.

Haney/Kambosos is probably the best example of why re-match clauses can suck. I dont think this thing needed to be run back, but I am interested to see what Kambosos tries differently because there's clearly levels between the two. 

Edited by Egg Shen