This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

dunno if anyone else is watching any boxing😄 but Kambo/Haney was depressingly predictable. The stage was set, but it was apparent very quickly that Haney was a level above Kambosos here. It was high paced and technical but Haney isn't a crowd pleaser. He's a brilliant boxer, but he lacks power and the real killer instinct to make him a true fan favorite. I had him winning all 12 rounds, the official cards were ridiculous. There's some massive fights to be made with Haney, but outside of Garcia, Tank, Stevenson fights i don't think he'll generate much excitement.

Kambosos is good, but Haney is elite, and I think it's become apparent that Kambosos caught Lopez on his worst night, it feels like everybody forgot that Kambosos unexpectedly hurt Lopez in round 1 too which changed the whole direction of that fight and they held him to a level he probably wasn't on.  Kambosos want's the trigger the rematch clause but I can't see many wanting to the see that.

skysports-devin-haney-kambosos_5795507.thumb.jpg.bfcd55bc3b967ba9ed6c71b30839fe03.jpg

6 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I had him winning all 12 rounds, the official cards were ridiculous.

I had it 115-113, personally. 

I thought Haney was clearly a class above, but a lot of rounds he didn't really do much, so I gave it to Kambosos on work rate and ring control. He was on the front foot a lot, and I think that worked into the judges thinking. It worked into mines.

If Haney had been more offensive in his approach it would likely have been a wider margin for me. 

4 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

you had it closer than the official cards 😮 didn't see that at all. 

I gave Haney the first four rounds, then gave Kambosos rounds 5 & 6, Haney round 7 & 8, Kambosos 9 & 10, Haney 11, and Kombosos 12.

Again, I don't think I scored it that way particularly based on how good Kambosos was, but more on the fact that after the first four rounds Haney seemed to drop off a bit, then he picked it up for two rounds, then he coasted for the next two, before turning it up again in the 11th but dropping away again in the 12th when he assumed he'd won the fight.

Haney was never in any real trouble, but he simply wasn't doing much in those rounds I gave to Kambosos. When neither fighter is being particular effective or connecting a whole lot, you have to then look at ring control and aggressiveness.

Again, if Haney had been more active he'd likely have won it by a wider margin on my card. Not that my card is worth a fuck, of course, but still 😆

• Paid Members

Yeah, fair take. I felt Haney just controlled the whole thing, but your take on it is exactly how the criticism gets aimed at Haney, he just coasts at an extremely high level. 

• Paid Members

Inoue's got to be absolutely huge in Japan now. An undefeated World champion in a sport that the Japanese have always been enthusiastic for but never excelled in. He'll be a megastar with this result.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Gooner said:

12.30pm.

Meant to say thanks for that I did catch it live in the end.

Inoue’s awesome but at the same time I was sad to see Donaire get bashed about like that. Bittersweet in that way but more sweet than bitter because Inoue’s journey is gonna be great to witness as it happens. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Not disagreeing on Inoue but Japan have had a good few boxers who are all time greats at the lighter weights. Plus a bona fide HOF legend in Fighting Harada. 

Fair enough. Just that, culturally speaking, the Japanese have always seemed to be a bit down on themselves about where they are in global sports, with boxing seeming to be no exception. There's often been this narrative of "we don't produce technically great boxers, so we have to make up for it with fighting spirit and guts", etc.

11 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Fair enough. Just that, culturally speaking, the Japanese have always seemed to be a bit down on themselves about where they are in global sports, with boxing seeming to be no exception. There's often been this narrative of "we don't produce technically great boxers, so we have to make up for it with fighting spirit and guts", etc.

I've never heard of that narrative in boxing tbh. In MMA I guess but Japan is well known for technically gifted fighters at the lighter weights since the 50's. They constantly have had a few world champions on the go. The sport is not as popular there as it was during Haradas 60's heyday but then neither is boxing worldwide.

Here is a list of Japanese world champions - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_boxing_world_champions

I think Inoue is the best since Fighting Harada but they have always had plenty of champions to cheer for.