This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

For 4 rounds, i genuinely thought we were witnessing the end of GGG. He looks in incredible shape but seemed slow and Murata was noticeably hurting Golovkin to the body. From round 6 onwards though he just wore Murata down and finally broke him in the 9th.

GGG looked good in the second half and id expect a 3rd Canelo fight is where we are headed, but i'm not fancying his chances considering he'll probably be 41 by the time the fight happens.

20220409_155115.thumb.jpg.168bf9ce74fc8a35c9c8d922db8f257c.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, I’ve been one of the ones saying the talk of Golovkin’s decline was overplayed in the past. I stand by it because I do think a lot of people - fans and other fighters and pundits - were harping on his age and saying he was slowing down long before he actually was. I did have a bad feeling watching this early on though. What a legend though. Love GGG. I’m a huge fan of Canelo as a fighter but I’ve always leaned more towards Team Golovkin where those two are concerned. It won’t happen but I’d love to see Golovkin go against all logic and shock everyone by finally getting that elusive win over Canelo. I’m sure I had him winning one of their fights but of course, timing is everything. Especially in a sport like Boxing. I think the ship’s sailed now. Canelo wins. 

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Spence vs. Ugas - April 16th)
  • Paid Members

always try to put the biggest fight of the weekend in thread title, and put the Benn fight in there this week whilst completely forgetting Erroll Spence is fighting Yordenis Ugas in a Welterweight Unification fight in a Stadium in Texas 😮

spence-ugas.jpeg.thumb.jpg.91f6295b102e87e4ba79c28c4f83ba2d.jpg

• Paid Members

Its a big old night of boxing. I'm really sure of the thinking of the 3 big domestic broadcasters all putting on shows on the same night at the same time but that's what happening:

Benn vs. van Heerden (DAZN)

Boxxer Series (Sky Sports)

Cunningham vs Le Couviour (BT Sport)

Spence vs. Ugas (Fite TV)

Spence/Ugas is the big one but i'll watch Benn and hopefully get around to watching the Boxxer series.

20220416_122729.thumb.jpg.09a2d5a2892ed935db8f9a55b8cf1933.jpg

The cards feel pretty shallow at the moment, i think the splintering off of the promoters and Probellum etc. getting in the mix has lead to promoters scrambling to make strong cards, its a transitional time.

Benn/van Heerden has been taking pelters as a main event but Benn's always must see. I think the narrative being spun that it's a decent fight because its the first southpaw Benn has faced is actually pretty valid, and based on van Heerden's interviews, he isnt coming to lie down.

20220416_160850.thumb.jpg.4a28d285c1ffa1152dc926b2b54a4bc5.jpg

McCarthey/Billam-Smith II is the best fight on the card, real solid co-main.

Spence/Ugas is the big one over in Texas though. Wasn't really feeling it until the past few days when i dug into the build up. The odds are closer than you might think and people are still unsure if Spence is what he once was. He's also coming off a detached retina injury. Ugas is coming off retiring Manny Pacquiao so is gonna be coming in full of confidence.

20220416_102023.thumb.jpg.383638fd7b22ebd18dca450848a0a4fc.jpg

The undercard is loading too, if you fancy watching a chunk of it.

1048244693_Screenshot_20220416-161451_SamsungInternet.jpg.f774ac932098817af72f8860eb1270d5.jpg

Showtime are not fucking about 🔥

• Paid Members

Yeah, I’m gonna catch Spence vs Ugas and the Benn fight and that’ll probably be it for me. I’m starting to get a bad feeling about Spence for some reason. Think it’s a bit of the detached retina thing but I can’t put my finger on it properly. I’m not even seeing people clamouring for the Crawford fight anymore quite like they were at one point either. It’s like everyone’s expecting him to fall off, I hope I’m wrong but this is a tough fight for him, I reckon. 

• Paid Members

i think its the inactivity and the fact that Spence and Crawford have never even got remotely close to securing a deal to fight. Both guys are letting their primes slip-by. 

If Spence wins tonight, between then, Spence & Crawford will hold every 147lb major title, but they still won't fight.

• Paid Members

Caught a spoiler annoyingly but it sounds like he put on a great display. He called out Crawford too, you never know!?

Anyone catch Benn? it was another entertaining 2 round destruction job. 

The matchmaking is the issue really. I think most fighters at the same stage in the career get leeway, Benn doesn't get that luxury. The names are decent, but they are faded and the threat they bring is pretty low, I dont think Benn has been in with a real puncher yet, which is probably by design. Pressure's on to deliver now for Hearn.

I really hope van Heerden gets another crack on a Matchroom card though, he was physically outmatched here but I became a fan over fight week, he coul be a decent gatekeeper for Eddie's stable.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think the Benn name plus him talking a big game gets people wanting to see him thrown in the deep end but I’m fine with how it’s going. You’ll never please fight fans, British ones especially. Same people criticising this matchmaking would still be moaning if they fed him to the wolves. You just know they’re waiting for him to lose so they can say he was all hype. It’s always so extreme and black and white in combat sports. Either you’re a dominant world champion or you’re a complete hype job. When really, there’s a lot of middle ground there. I don’t see Benn ruling at the elite levels myself but he’s exciting to watch and, while he’s not flawless, I think he’s really improved in the last few years. I’d like to see him in more of a test next time but he’s still only 25 and he’s only going to get better with each training camp. For a lot of fans I don’t think it’s so much they wanna see him tested like they say, they just wanna see him get beat so they can say he was all Hearn hype.

British boxing fans can be a seriously negative bunch. Same lot who were saying Campbell Hatton was useless and never gonna be anything after one pro fight 😂 I’m not predicting world titles or anything for Hatton either but at least give the kid a chance to fail if he’s going to. I don’t even think he’s started shaving yet and he’s already on the scrap heap if you listen to the Twitter Tommy Hearns’ of the world. I blame it on the years of growing up listening to Jim Watt’s joyless commentary. And even the ones who were born later have got so used to Adam Smith and Matt Macklin draining the good out of everything that it’s still probably rubbed off.

But yeah. I was happy to see Benn get another quick and decisive win. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

The improvements Benn has made since his debut have been pretty impressive. I think he's already exceeded the level most thought he'd get too.

I don't see Campbell Hatton having the same kind of trajectory.

• Paid Members

Yeah me neither but he’s 21 years old and only 6 fights into his career. Yet I clearly remember the reaction on social media after his debut and it was about 90% doom and gloom and the rest was piss taking. Pathetic really. All these sad twats in their 30s and older ripping into a kid who’s already probably achieved more than they ever will. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, Hatton wasn't really done any favours by Matchroom when they stuck him on a PPV card, and tried to recreate a Ricky Hatton environment with the iconic music and ring gear. I can see why they did it, but it probably set the bar way to high in peoples minds and there was the inevitable backlash when people realised he wasn't his Dad, its all a bit unfair. 

Campbell himself said last week that his best two performances were when he boxed abroad away from all the pressure of fighting over here.