This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
On 4/17/2022 at 10:23 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Needn’t have worried about Spence then. Fuck me. He looked fantastic. Exactly the kind of performance he needed. They won’t but they’ve got to make that Crawford fight. 

he properly fucked up Ugas...

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Taylor vs. Serrano - April 30th)
  • Paid Members

Anyone in for Taylor/Serrano? Fight Week's been good. The actual women are just respectful and going about their business, but the side show of Eddie Hearn and Jake Paul has been great fun.

EM1_6171.0.webp.547997d6dcca3c5a75a36e5aeec57827.webp

The fight is drawing in all kinds of non-sports related media in America, its feeling like a special event, and outside of the main event the undercard is solid. As for the fight, Serrano opens as the favorite and the general feeling is that Taylor has been on the slide the last year or so. Taylor's last couple of fights have been scrappy and uninspiring but if she has a big performance left in her this is the time to bring it out. As the underdog, she's gone on my slip.

• Paid Members

If I were to only believe the author of that article, I'd think it was an overwhelming victory for Serrano, or that she got robbed. Barely touched on anything that Taylor did to keep herself in contention.

It's one of those beautiful what ifs, if the 4th round had gone an extra minute, I think you'd be peeling Katie Taylor off the floor, but with how sluggish serrano looked from 6 onwards, would she have had it in the tank?

If the rematch is 3 minute rounds I think Taylor takes it again, with less effort, but I'd be down for another scrap like last night.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Carbomb said:

If I were to only believe the author of that article, I'd think it was an overwhelming victory for Serrano, or that she got robbed. Barely touched on anything that Taylor did to keep herself in contention.

You could from Jessica McCaskill on commentary too who was unbelievably biased, for 8 rounds she was talking like Serrano was dominating.

I had it 98-92 Taylor, only giving Serrano the 5th and 6th rounds, just thought Taylor consistently did the better work, getting off first and making Serrano miss. The only times Serrano had real success was when Taylor decided to trade or in round 5 when she got trapped on the ropes and it got real dicey.

What an incredible fight though, crazy atmosphere and truly justified the billing it had.

On the subject of the rounds, I like the 2 minute rounds, it makes it very fast paced and fun to watch. Maybe just make title fights 12 rounds instead or 10?

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

few other random thoughts from the weekend:

* Shakur Stevenson completely schooled Oscar Valdez. Valdez tried but this wasn't too competitve. Stevenson has p4p king written all over him, hes not overly exciting though. He needs a proper rival to get this thing rolling.

* Top Rank's over-doing of the Muhammad Ali link with Nico Ali-Walsh thing is a bit much. I get why they are doing but its almost like they want you to believe you are watching the second coming of Ali, its a bit much. Nice KO though.

* Liam Smith's win over Jesse Vargas was quality. People expected him to win, but being the first man to stop Vargas was a real feather in his cap considering who Vargas has fought previously. I expect Liam gets a World Title shot next.

* The others Unification fight on the DAZN card was fun too. You don't usually get to see women's super middleweight fights, those women were cracking each other. Crews-Durzon is a nutter.

Good weekend.

Edited by Egg Shen

On 5/3/2022 at 10:20 AM, Egg Shen said:

* Liam Smith's win over Jesse Vargas was quality. People expected him to win, but being the first man to stop Vargas was a real feather in his cap considering who Vargas has fought previously. I expect Liam gets a World Title shot next.

I think Vargas is living off name value now. He's only 32 and he had not fought for two years before this fight. This was his first fight at 154lbs. He's fought a lot of high level calibre fighters and hasn't beaten any of them.

In the last 8 years, he beat Sadam Ali, journeyman Aaron Herrera & a 38 year old Humberto Soto.

The fight was pretty equal over 4 rounds. But Smith's pacing and power took over.  154lbs is his weight and he showed Vargas that.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Canelo vs. Bivol - May 7th)
  • Paid Members

Canelo/Bivol tomorrow then:

20220506_213521.thumb.jpg.722d623b1252ecb57c92ec220fdd4c4c.jpg

Its a big fight but there's so much respect here that the buildup has been pretty flat. This is a Canelo fight for the die hards.

Canelo is a decent favorite but this is a big ask. Canelo's only foray into the Light Heavyweight division was against a faded Kovalev. Bivol is a different kind of animal, nowhere near as dangerous, but Bivol poses a complete different set of problems.

I feel this may a banana peel for Canelo. Canelo has fallen behind in fights or had fights close recently only to finally break down his opponents to stop them late, I cant help but feel that that might not happen here. That said, Bivol will have to win rounds big to get a decision.

• Paid Members

Well up for Canelo vs Bivol tonight. Obviously I was invested in the Saunders fight for my own sadistic reasons but this is the most interesting Canelo fight for me since probably the GGG rematch in 2018. It’s hard to pick against Canelo these days but I genuinely think Bivol is gonna give him problems. 

D53A874B-974A-4A99-BB16-32C2F7A00952.jpeg