This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

An absolute humdinger over on DAZN tonight. Chocolatito Gonzalez against Julio Cesar Martinez. 

It feels like fantasy matchmaking come to life and it came about on a few weeks notice. Two of the sports most exciting fighters for completely different reasons, this is gonna be a wild one.

20220304_223053.thumb.jpg.99965c6b69eacb1dae481ff01dc5cd56.jpg

Martinez is moving up a division and is completely out of his mind. He's going to march forward and eat shots all night to try and land his power shots. Its gonna be bedlam.

20220304_131356.thumb.jpg.af915a8ce0c35992cfda8393512c8116.jpg

Mauricio Lara who beat Josh Warrington is the co-main event, looking forward to seeing him again.

Oh, and Skye Nicolson makes her pro debut on the undercard, shes already my favorite boxer 🥰

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Chocolatito vs. Martinez - March 5th)
  • Paid Members

Chocolatito/Martinez was weirdly disappointing. Thats probably not right way to put because the fight was high paced and action packed, but Martinez just couldn't handle the output and his power didnt seem to translate up to put Chocolatito in any kind of danger. It was a high action one sided beatdown. Chocolatito is awesome. I know he's a small man, and younger fighters dominate in lower divisions but commentary banging on about him being some old man rolling back the years is abit grating, he's 34.

Highlight for me was Lara/Sanchez in the co-main. 3 rounds of bedlam. Mauricio Lara is officially my new favorite fighter. I get Edwin Valero vibes from him, just a crazy all or nothing action fighter. They really stitched up Josh Warrington by sending that guy in as a tickover.

Do yourselves a favour:

Edited by Egg Shen

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Wood vs. Conlan - March 12th)
  • Paid Members

Decent main event over on DAZN this evening, Leigh Wood vs. Michael Conlan. 10,000 in Nottingham, lots of Irish over, gonna be good. Wood's Regular World Title being elevated to full status on the night too.

20220312_151618.thumb.jpg.c1b01e0b7049bba32d9dff4a083d89ff.jpg

• Paid Members

Just incredible. Before the KO it was shaping up to be one of the best fights of the year, but that finish will land that fight in the history books. 

I had Conlan a few rounds up going into the 12th do Wood needed that KO to win, just a barmy and scary finish.

Michael Conlan was fine afterwards too, which was great to hear.

20220313_231914.thumb.jpg.7cafd33c314a099eb0f4335cce3b219f.jpg

What a sport.

Leigh Wood has arrived now. Before he fought Xu last year i think people just had him pegged as a decent European level type of fighter with little fan-fayre, now id imagine he'll get a fight at the City Ground and pack the fucker. Id just go straight to the rematch, imagine that.

Mental thing is, the worry all week was going to be boring and not match the occasion.

I know it was mentioned in the boxing thread when it first announced two years ago but I can't find any mention of it since (apologies if it's somewhere and I can't find it) but it's actually happening this weekend - Eddie Hall v Thor, the heaviest fight ever!  It's been postponed at least once when Eddie tore his bicep but the bad blood keeps on coming to the point where yesterday Eddie seemingly spat on Thor at the gym   https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1064015/eddie-hall-hafthor-bjornsson-confrontation-boxing-fight/ apparently free to watch via https://www.segi.tv/thorvseddie due to start at 9pm UK time. 

Edit - the "face off" interview from last night

Edited by Harry Wiseau

• Paid Members

Yeah, its usually the kind of thing id be all over, especially as im a fan of a Strongman, but its doing nothing for me.

The fight is streaming free so i will try watching it, and ill probably watch that faceoff to stir up some interest for myself but yeah, i thought this would have been a bigger deal than it feels.

I was gonna bump the shit boxing thread for it😂

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Thor vs. Hall - March 19th)

It looks like you can watch without signing up but it's probably best to try to sign up just in case. I'd held off because on my phone putting your DOB in is a pain because you have to go back in time month by month and my fingers give up before I get that far back. I'll try again later.