This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Eubank/Williams turned out to be a strange old fight. Its very rare that you have a close fight where one guy scores 4 knockdowns (though it should have been counted as 3). In actual rounds i had them winning 6 rounds each, but I also had Williams in front in a couple of the rounds he got dropped, he just kept getting dropped. They weren't even massive shots, just 3 flash knockdowns from well timed shots.

I had 114-110 Eubank, but thats includibg 4 10-8 rounds. I thought Eubank was real disappointing down the stretch but its hard to guage anything because he had such a massive lead, he didnt need to go after it. Set of bollocks on Williams mind.

I didn’t think it was close at all, had it pretty much the same as the judges. Eubank was a class or two above and just picked him off whenever he closed the distance. I actually thought the first knockdown was a slip until I saw the replay! Agree on the 4th knockdown, that shouldn’t have scored, but even if it hadn’t, Eubank was miles ahead on points. 

The co main was even more one sided, thought it would’ve been one of those fights that got stopped as to not prolong the beating. Had she been floored I think the red would’ve ended it. Nice bit of promotion for an upcoming bout after it, with the GWOAT getting all up in the grill of some other woman. I apologise for not knowing any of their names!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I didn’t think it was close at all, had it pretty much the same as the judges. Eubank was a class or two above and just picked him off whenever he closed the distance. I actually thought the first knockdown was a slip until I saw the replay! Agree on the 4th knockdown, that shouldn’t have scored, but even if it hadn’t, Eubank was miles ahead on points. 

Perhaps yeah, I may be guilty of watching whilst rooting for Williams, but I felt he comfortably won a decent share of the rounds, especially as Eubank clearly took his foot off the gas in a few. Of course the 10-8 rounds takes away any argument. 

Yeah that certainly was the case, Eubank knew by the mid rounds he could only lose via KO so kept away and Williams won the rounds by being the aggressor. I guess for the neutral, the early knockdowns totally changed the fight and the game plans. Makes for a good “What if” scenario.  Wonder how much a difference Roy Jones Jr makes instead of his old man!!

Eubank certainly looked a class above Williams that little counter hook is so fast!) but I'm not convinced how well he will do at a World level... I did feel if he'd pressed the fight in those mid rounds he probably could have finished it, and a better fighter could have capitalised on that open door.

It'll be fun to find out though - all that showboating in front of a hostile crowd is something the Yanks will eat up.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

The co main was even more one sided, thought it would’ve been one of those fights that got stopped as to not prolong the beating. Had she been floored I think the red would’ve ended it. Nice bit of promotion for an upcoming bout after it, with the GWOAT getting all up in the grill of some other woman. I apologise for not knowing any of their names!

Claressa Shields & Savannah Marshall. Sky have been brewing that one since the re-launch. Marshall is fighting again in March then they are looking to set that up. Im more excited for that matchup than the already setup Amanda Serrano/Katie Taylor fight.

• Paid Members

Yeah enjoyed the Marshall/Shields bit. Childish as it all was with the “pillow fists” and “where’s your medals?” stuff. As much as I like watching Katie Taylor do her thing, one of the big things missing in women’s Boxing (other than regular big knockouts, obviously) is rivalries. Even the Ebanie Bridges vs Shannon Courtenay thing a while ago picked up more steam than it probably had any right to, because as a fight it wasn’t ever much to write home about but the dislike between them got more people into it than almost any women’s fight I can recall. This Marshall vs Shields situation could be similar, but better because they’re much better actual boxers to go with it. I’m in.

As for Eubank vs Williams, I can’t add much to what’s already been said. Thought Eubank looked quite sharp throughout and although Williams had spells of success as the fight wore on, he was too far behind because of the knockdowns and Eubank was just too slick and crafty to let him fully back in it. Can’t see Eubank doing too well against the top of the top guys but he’s a fun name to throw in the mix. Saw Conor Benn was on about a Catchweight fight with Jr. Obvious reasons why that would generate interest, the old Eubank vs Benn thing going next gen etc. But I’d rather see them both just concentrate on their own divisions.

I missed the fight but was pleased to see Caroline Dubois had a successful pro debut. Just got in on Saturday in time to catch her post-fight interview and thought she came across really well. Already seems more comfortable on the microphone than her brother. I know it’s very early days but how did she look in the fight? I’ve seen very little footage of her amateur fights. 

• Paid Members

Any talk of Keith Thurmans imminent demise were dispelled Saturday too, i thought he looked real good against Barrios, it was basically a shutout and if it wasnt for Barrios being so tough, Thurman surely would have got his first stoppage in years. I wanted Barrios to win but I recognise Thurman being active and looking good again is whats best for the division.

State of Barrios...

20220207_183451.thumb.jpg.c58b496d74c77465f50ad6b4c238bf94.jpg

Watched the Williams/Eubank fight. I was rooting for Williams because I was expecting him to put on a show. But it was really over by round 4. Enzo on commentary probably had a few too many Peroni's again and only had Williams 2 points behind at the end of round 10. Usual biased commentary from Sky.

I watched the Gloves Are Off episode after the fight. Williams didn't half make a twat of himself on there. I get you need to big yourself up and put on a bravado. But everything he said was bollocks.

Told Eubank he couldn't punch - Got knocked down twice in two rounds.

Bring it and you're going to get chinned - Didn't hurt Eubank in any way.

You can't box - Sweet counter-punch put him on his arse in the first three minutes.

Eubank on the other hand was calm and batted away all the stupid comments.

When Eubank discussed fighters talking a big game on Twitter and failing to deliver in the fight. Williams turned into Billy Big Bollocks & said if he and Eubank went into the backroom he's going to "punch his head in" and "mess him up so bad." That hit a bit close to home for Williams because that's basically what happened. He didn't do a post fight interview. He hasn't surfaced on social media since.

No post fight handshake because this was "personal." But Williams never explained what his problem was with Eubank. Generic answers like, I don't like his personality, he rubs me up the wrong way. In Eubank fights I always come out liking him more.

Only just seen this fight from the past weekend. Srisaket Sor Rungvisai got sick and couldn't fight Carlos Cuadras for the vacant super flyweight world title. Light flyweight prospect Jesse Rodriguez stepped in at a weeks notice, moving up two weight divisions for the opportunity.

The 22 year old Rodriguez seized the opportunity with both hands easily outpointing Cuadras. The big wow factor for Rodriguez is his speed. He's Loma slick on his feet. The knockdown he scored in round 3, was like he was shape shifting.

On 2/7/2022 at 10:05 PM, Rossman said:

I watched the Gloves Are Off episode after the fight. Williams didn't half make a twat of himself on there. I get you need to big yourself up and put on a bravado. But everything he said was bollocks.

Told Eubank he couldn't punch - Got knocked down twice in two rounds.

Bring it and you're going to get chinned - Didn't hurt Eubank in any way.

You can't box - Sweet counter-punch put him on his arse in the first three minutes.

Eubank on the other hand was calm and batted away all the stupid comments.

Well, what do you expect him to say? I honestly believe Williams thought everything he said was true. You don't get to the level of the sport he has by admitting defeat before you even lace up the gloves. 

Someone has to win, and someone has to lose. It's how it goes, but it doesn't mean that a fighter who believed he was capable of beating his opponent in all areas has "made a twat of himself." He was soundly beaten on the night, but it won't be long before he convinces himself that it was an off-night for him, or that something wasn't done correctly in his training or so forth. That's why so many fighters change trainers after a loss. They either believe it's something they did in preparation that cost them the fight, but that can be fixed, or they admit they're just not up to it and lost because they aren't as good as they think they are.

One of those options isn't conducive to continuing with a successful career.

These Gloves Are Off and other face to face hype shows would be really fucking dull if it was just both guys saying "yeah, I'll give it my best shot, but he's a great fighter so it could go either way. May the best man win." It's worth remembering that those shows are entirely geared towards ensuring as many eyeballs are watching Sky Sports on the night of the fight as possible. 

Edited by David

Also, worth remembering that Liam is a berserker. His fight style is to walk you down, scare the shit out of you and beat you up.

Alantez Fox, probably his biggest win to date, was supposed to keep him at range using his height and supposedly superior boxing skills. Liam walked through him and gave him quite an uncomfortable beating.

The minute he stepped forward against Eubank he got dropped. It happened twice more and he realised he couldn't do the dance he'd prepared. The reason the fight ultimately looked close is because Eubank realised he didn't need to do anything but wait for Liam to walk on to one (at times he looked like Anderson Silva, the frustrated counter striker trying desperately to goad a wary opponent forwards) and Liam realised he couldn't do that. So Liam peppered a few shots at range and Eubank was happy waiting for the kill (which never came).

Eubank looked better overall, but still think he'd be murdered by the top of the division (particularly if he goes up to 168).

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Yeh the fight seemed over after round 4 really, Eubank was in such a lead at that point he didnt need to do anything differently, especially as it was fairly apparently that Williams was never gonna stop Eubank, Eubank does have a granite chin. If those counter shot knockdowns hadn't happened we'd have had a very different fight. 

Williams now has stepped up in 2 high profile fights and started terribly in them both, tough break.

The fight did great numbers on Sky too, breaking some record AJ had for a Saturday Fight Night. People are pointing out the numbers are likely including the Sky Showcase numbers which means this was accessible to way more people, but its still a positive.