This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I had Catterall winning the first 6 rounds, then had him winning round 8 big with the knockdown. At that point Taylor would need a stoppage to win. The rounds Taylor did win were scrappy rounds where he seems to just out-fight Catterall and overwhelm him with pressure but it was never clear. Anytime the fight took place at distance it was all Catterall, not even close.

It feels like Smith/Ryder again where a real unheralded UK challenger gets screwed in an all domestic title fight, only worse.

The prize here for Catterall was so big, both in terms of status and financially, it just sucks to see. He'll no doubt land big fights now but he should be the Undisputed World Champion. Josh Taylor has probably become the biggest villain in British boxing overnight.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Okolie vs. Cieslak- Feb 27th)

I had it 115 -112 Catterall. I see Paddy Power are refunding bets on Catterall to win now.

I gave Catterall pretty much all of the first 6 rounds. He landed a lot more, caught Taylor with the jab a lot. There was a lot of holding which upset Taylor's rhythm through the whole of the fight. Reminded me a lot of Klitschko. A lot of Taylor's shots were missing or hitting shoulders or cuffing round the side of the body. Taylor did better in the 2nd half but he didn't land anything clean all fight. Best shot was when he nutted Catterall in the 9th.

Ben Davison told Taylor at the end of the 11th, you need a stoppage to win. They all knew he lost the fight, but they're not going to come out and admit it now. If there's any inkling Taylor thinks he didn't win. One of the 4 boxing organisations are going to make him do a rematch or strip him of the belt, if he can't make the weight again.

Big fan of Taylor's and he's achieved a lot in a short career and he's never backed down from a fight. It's not his fault the judges fucked this up so badly. Ian John Lewis again, absolute conman.

We talked about self belief before and needed that in spades to be a successful boxer. Josh Taylor has that by the bucket load, super competitive guy. But now from the post fight press conference, he comes across almost egotistical. Insulting the intelligence of the fans, saying people think Catterall won because he did better than people expected. He says he won the fight about 20 times in 13 minutes. Not sure who he's trying to convince there. Now just seen the post fight in-ring interview, fuck me. Taylor must have said, I won the fight another 10 times there in 3 minutes.

Promoter Ben Shalom called it embarrassing for boxing and as the promoter. He said there should be some kind of inquest in this. Then in the post fight press conference, he didn't say anything. He's new to the promoting game, I think he's about to find out about the shady side. Top Rank will be telling him to keep quiet. And nothing will come of it.

Well, I had Catterall by a single point. 

I decided to score the fight round by round for this one, as I had a feeling it would be close, and I honestly don't think it was a robbery. Are we to believe that three experienced judges all got it wrong? Or that he got the hometown advantage when the referee and two of the three judges were from down south?

Nah, for me it was simple. Catterall was spoiling too much. Each round on its own was close, and for me the difference in the latter rounds was Taylor actually coming forward and putting pressure on while Catterall wasn't really doing much at all. He did enough early in the fight to win the rounds, but late on? Not really. He simply wasn't throwing enough to warrant winning what were really close rounds.

I gave Catterall the knockdown round as a 10-8, but I also gave Taylor a 10-8 round when Catterall was docked a point because I thought Taylor won that round. The round where Taylor was docked a point I had it down as a 9-9 round.

If that point hadn't been docked late from Taylor I'd have scored it a draw. As it went, I had Catterall by one. Here's my scorecard. I didn't mark the point deductions as "deducted" but simply gave the penalised fighter a point less.

In basic terms I had Catterall taking every round from the first to the sixth except for round two, and I had Taylor winning every round from the seventh to twelve except for the knockdown round which was 8. 

Catterall got a 10-8 round for the knockdown, Taylor got a 10-8 round for the point deduction, and the final point deduction was a 9-9.

spacer.png

• Paid Members

Some valid points, but when you see Ian John Lewis give Taylor 4 of the first 6 rounds you gotta start asking questions.

I thought both fighters were as guilty as each other in terms of spoiling. Taylor tried to turn it into a bit of a street fight and there was lots of messy shit on the inside. To say Catterall didn't do enough though? he threw over 200 more punches than Taylor, and out numbered him in jabs and power punches.

It was a rough but very entertaining fight.

Here was my card.

IMG_20220227_115555.jpeg.80979d0735172e2887ea15c1e6c0565d.jpeg

Edited by Egg Shen

Looking at your card Ebb, the only difference between how you saw it and how I saw it was round 2 which you gave to Catterall and I gave to Taylor. That's what I mean, as far as the actual result goes with Taylor winning, we're not talking about a crazy gulf in the verdict. It wasn't like the fight we saw with Khan and Brook where it was clear as day who was winning it.

I thought the actual result was close. People are acting like Catterall put on a boxing masterclass and lost. He didn't. It was a crap fight with Catterall edging it in the first six with a few decent combinations, but he stopped throwing them second half of the fight, where Taylor slightly edged most rounds through sheer work ethic and aggression. When there's literally fuck all else happening in rounds 7-12 except grabbing and stalling, you have little to go on, so work ethic and aggression wins the day.

• Paid Members

You make decent points, the fight wasn't wide in terms of scoring, and I get that a lot of people will have jumped on the Catterall train because nobody expected him to do that well, but look at those judges scorecards and come explain how there isn't a massive issue there. How did they give Taylor some of those early rounds?

Overall you just get that, "what's the point?" feeling where it feels like the only way Catterall would ever have won would be to stop Taylor. What was the old saying when Brits would go over to Germany to fight? "you have to knock the German just to get a draw". That's what people are gonna start saying about the UK.

Edited by Egg Shen

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

You make decent points, the fight wasn't wide in terms of scoring, and I get that a lot of people will have jumped on the Catterall train because nobody expected him to do that well, but look at those judges scorecards and come explain how there isn't a massive issue there. How did they give Taylor some of those early rounds?

Oh, the judges were way off on that front. But my point is that the result itself wasn't a robbery as some are claiming. It was a split decision win, which in my view could have gone to either fighter really and the other couldn't have complained.

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Overall you just get that, "what's the point?" feeling where it feels like the only way Catterall would ever have won would be to stop Taylor.

Or, he could have done less holding and threw more?

3 hours ago, Tamura said:

Two judges, since it was a split decision. Judges have been known to get things spectacularly wrong.

Oh, I know they have, but I still don't think this was the absolute robbery some people think it is. As I said, I scored it 1 point to Catterall, which would have been a draw had Taylor not been an idiot and been docked a point late on. 

Ebb seen it pretty much the same. 

• Paid Members

did anyone catch Jordan Gill's come from behind victory on the Okolie card yesterday? crazy. I felt Gill should have been pulled out on a few occasions but he went on to do this:

Gill at one point seemed to be temporarily knocked out by a DDT! surely a first in the boxing ring:

The last three rounds of that fight were a one way onslaught. I read that Gill perforated both of his ear drums so that was the major contributor to his wobbly legs. The big punches Guerfi was landing didn't help either. For the last two rounds he was a sitting duck, backed into his corner just to regain his balance.  Dave Coldwell perched onto the apron right next to him shouting one to one instructions.  That looked so surreal, like it was from a movie. The big shot that ended the fight and the crowds reaction to it made it a great domestic boxing moment.

The selling on that DDT made it look deadly.