This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

lots of other normal boxing this weekend too which will probably get lost under UFC London, but we got:

Friday:

Probellum: Mossely vs. Lescano (Eurosport)

Saturday:

Probellum: Edwards vs. Waseem, Prograis vs. McKenna (Eurosport)

Golden Boy: Rocha vs. Cobb, McKinson vs. Perez (DAZN)

Top Rank: Berlanga vs. Rolls (Sky Sports)

Queensbury: Avenesyan vs. Metz (BT Sport)

Bit happening. Gonna have to be a case of trying to catch a few main events i think.

20220318_065113.thumb.jpg.de6e949a8c336d0f7dc59e17ca50abeb.jpg

Seems this was a disaster. Not even talking about the fight, but the actual coverage. I chucked it on at 9pm, and it was nothing but a feed from a camera that was clearly just resting in the ring. It was like that for ages. I flick off and try and watch again 15 minutes later, and get nothing at all. Seems like everyone else was in the same boat judging by twitter. "I feel ripped off, even though its free" was a good tweet I saw. Managed to refresh it in the middle of R3. It was Ok for what it was. If anything, it was disappointingly reserved and professional. Would have been way better if it was a Bob Sapp-esque fight where theyre completley gassed after a few minutes, and throwing everything into every punch and it only lasting a couple of rounds,

11 hours ago, Dai said:

Seems this was a disaster. Not even talking about the fight, but the actual coverage. I chucked it on at 9pm, and it was nothing but a feed from a camera that was clearly just resting in the ring. It was like that for ages. I flick off and try and watch again 15 minutes later, and get nothing at all. Seems like everyone else was in the same boat judging by twitter. "I feel ripped off, even though its free" was a good tweet I saw. Managed to refresh it in the middle of R3. It was Ok for what it was. If anything, it was disappointingly reserved and professional. Would have been way better if it was a Bob Sapp-esque fight where theyre completley gassed after a few minutes, and throwing everything into every punch and it only lasting a couple of rounds,

Yeah I agree with you on this, with how they were at the weigh ins and the shit show that was the press conference you went in there thinking they would be ripping each others throats out. 

But going from that level of intensity and whatnot too the first bell going and them being so reserved and very rarely throwing anything it does come across abit odd.

I had Thor winning 4 or possibly 5 rounds but it wasn't terrible, just very different to what the world thought it was going to be 

• Paid Members

Ive seen much worse 'freak show' fights than that. Luckily i didnt watch it live so I had an error-free stream. 

It played out like i thought though. Thor has been training to box for well over a year, he even looked decent in an exhibition fight with a pro, so just kept it basic and cruised through it, problem at times was that cause Eddie was literally fighting with his right hand cocked, Thor never really committed to throwing his left hand, the two times he did he dropped Hall heavy. 

Eddie quite clearly came in think that as soon he laid a glove on Thor he would knock him out. Glad Thor won.

• Paid Members

@wandshogun09you catch anything else?

I watched the Main and Co-Main of Saturdays Probellum show. Weird little set up that is, it was in the same outdoor arena as Thor/Hall but it was probably a quarter full for Edwards/Waseem and by all accounts there was barely anyone there for the Friday show. The production and all that looks brilliant though.

Edwards/Waseem was way better than expected. It was rough and dirty and Edwards got dragged into a fight he shouldnt have been in but he got through it.

Prograis/McKenna was painfully one sided, but McKenna made it entertaining by being one gutsy bastard.

Odd kettle of fish this Probellum thing cause they are clearly throwing a shit load of money at it.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Martinez vs. Warrington II - March 26th)
  • Paid Members

another silly lineup of Boxing this weekend, its impossible to keep up with this.

Friday:

Probellum: Ritson vs. Zlaticanin (Eurosport)

Saturday:

Matchroom: Martinez vs. Warrington II (DAZN)

Boxxer: Riakporhe vs. Jumah (Sky Sports)

Showtime: Tszyu vs. Guasha (Fite)

Top Rank: Berchelt vs. Nakathila (Sky Sports)

OR: Lemos vs. Selby (Premier Sports/Boxnation)

Silly.

I'll watch the Probellum show as it falls nice on Friday evening for me. Then i'll prioritise Warrington/Martinez on Saturday which is a World Title fight I dont think anyone ever would have expected to see. Gonna be a good one.

Edited by Egg Shen

Caught the David Avanesyan fight the other day. I thought he was going to get a hostile reception with his Russian heritage. He had nothing to worry about, Frank Warren had booked Wembley Arena and no-one turned up to watch it. All of the tiered seating was empty. His Finnish opponent looked like a 12 year old and got battered within 1 round.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it wasn't a good look. I dont really see the logic in booking Wembley Arena on the strength of a card like that? maybe its a logistic/availability thing but all it seemed to do was hammer home the real reason no one fights David Avenesyan, he's super dangerous but he has no fans.

• Paid Members

Watched the Probellum show.

Why does boxing have such an issue with time scheduling? in what other sport hosted in the UK would the main event/match start at 11.20pm? just ludicrous. I think that was by design too because then show was scheduled 9-12. 

Lewis Ritson ended up boxing in front of about 200 people because everyhody left and the air was sucked out of the room. Horrible. The daggers were out on Twitter, it just left a bad taste in everyones mouth.

Why can't they have main events walk at 9-9.30? I dont get it.

The Troy Williamson/Mason Cartwright fight from earlier in the night was excellent though.

• Paid Members

It’s such an easy fix as well. Just start the undercard a couple of hours earlier or have a couple less fights on there. It’s never been an issue with MMA cards over here really has it? The UFC London card last week was all over by what 10:30ish. I know it’s generally easier to pace in MMA with the prelims being a maximum of 15 minutes whereas on Boxing cards you might have a couple of 12 rounders and a few 10 and 8 rounders on there but it seems a pretty simple problem to solve. I’ve never heard anybody say they’re happy with Boxing main events going on at 11pm or whatever. And like you say, it burns the crowd out and the viewers at home so it’s counterproductive.