This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

Looks like that's a one fight show from the card.

Not heard of anyone on the undercard, especially as it's the Cinco De Mayo weekend show.

I did see BBC were showing the Katie Taylor/Amanda Serrano fight the other night. It's now on iPlayer if you haven't seen it.

• Paid Members

the show was meant to have a co-main event of Filip Hrgovic vs. Zhang Zhilei  which would have been solid but Hrgovic pulled out. They've got Zhang a late replacement.

The other notable name that leaps out is Montana Love who stole the show on a Jake Paul show last year, but this is all about the main event.

• Paid Members

Banana Skin Bivol got it done then.

66-EFAAD8-1-F08-4801-8-ED7-C0-FDCE8806-F

Right man definitely won. You could see Canelo’s frustration building as the fight went on and Bivol just went about his business piling up the points. Seen some right divvy takes on Twitter this morning with people calling it a cherry pick gone wrong and stuff. Dopey talk. This was always a risk for Canelo, going up in weight against a boxer of Bivol’s quality. Fair play to him for going for this kind of legacy fight. He’s making insane money and he really doesn’t need to take these risky fights at this stage. He’s already on about the rematch but I think I’d rather see Bivol against the winner of Beterbiev vs Smith first. And stick with the plan for Canelo vs Golovkin 3 in September.

This loss shouldn't really hurt Canelo anyway. People are too hung up on fighters going undefeated, when the truth is that if you're fighting the top guys you're going to lose every now & then. It only becomes an issue when you start rattling off the losses one after the other.

Credit to him for taking that risk, it'll be interesting to see where he goes from here.

• Paid Members

Fuck, they almost got it wrong on the cards, 115-113 was way too close but at least they didn't rob Bivol.

The fight was one way traffic really. The longer the fight went the more imposing Bivol seemed to get. Bivol just didn't seem to be rattled by the occasion and at no point allowed Canelo to be the bully. Anytime Canelo would land anything decent, Bivol would rally and lands a flurry and steal the moment back. Brilliant performance. Thought Bivol was spot on post-fight saying Canelo focused to much on throwing single hard shots.

Triggering the rematch doesn't sound like a great idea to me, but i wouldn't expect anything less from Canelo.

This fight with Bivol was a massive risk, especially when the GGG fight was a part of the 2 fight deal to happen in a few months, Canelo basically went up and fought the trickiest of Light Heavyweight Champions. You gotta love the man's sack though.

Edited by Egg Shen

I don't follow boxing that much and I have never really grasped the numerous weight classes.

What is the equivalent in UFC terms to what Canelo did in going up in weight, google says Bivol is a light heavyweight which is 205lbs in the UFC but google says he is 78kg which is 170lbs. I also can't seem to work out Canelo's regular weight because he seems to fight in loads of classes.

Is it like a lightweight going up to fight at middleweight in the UFC? or an even bigger jump?

• Paid Members

the gaps are much smaller between divisions, Canelo is the Undisputed Champion at Super Middleweight which is 168lb. Canelo has also won World Titles at Light Middleweight & Middleweight (154lb and 160lb), as well as 1 belt at Light Heavyweight (175lb).

The equivalent of a UFC Light Heavyweight's division in boxing would be around the Cruiserweight division.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Charlo vs. Castano II - May 14th)
  • Paid Members

Boxing out the wazoo this weekend if you want any, the big one is Charlo/Castano II in a 154lb Undisputed fight on Saturday night, but lots on.

Charlo/Castano I ended in a draw so they go again. Charlo is the favorite but many believe Castano won the first fight.

Boots Ennis in the co-main event, who most people think is the next box office superstar in America.

20220512_193721.thumb.jpg.be74b15b3e5b6f6eec0bcb576b54a4c0.jpg

Spot of Boxing on Channel 5 tomorrow night, Wasserman's first show on Channel 5...

bwentley.jpeg.thumb.jpg.467ebb8a4cf777e5146bcc9bee828644.jpg

Was expecting an easy win for Josh Kelly on his debut at 154lbs. But it all went wrong for him. His opponent wouldn't leave the hotel to go to the fight venue.

There seems some confusion as to what went wrong. I checked Kelly's Instagram and he says the fight weight was supposed to be between 154lbs and 157lbs and that was decided 3 weeks ago. I guess he's saying that to make himself less culpable.

Bear in mind, he's been saying this has been the best training camp of his life and he's in the shape of his life. He should have been in able to make the 154lbs limit if he's going to fight at that category for the foreseeable future. Kelly was 156lbs on the scales.

Anyway, his opponent came in at 151lbs on the scales. Sauerland said in a channel 5 interview during last night's show, with Kelly standing next to him. Josh came in 1.2kg (2.6lbs) over the weight limit. No weight fines were discussed. They didn't ask him to lose the extra weight. Just said, see you tomorrow for the fight. So that contradicts Kelly's statement on Instagram saying the fight weight was between 154lbs and 157lbs

They also said the opponent was being paid £15k for the fight. They offered him £50k to come out of the hotel and take the fight. But he still wouldn't do it. 

Bizarre situation, Kelly was supposed to fight back in March but didn't for whatever reason. Sauerland said he will be on a Liverpool card in 5 weeks time.

Kelly's trainer has now come forward and said they changed the weight limit 2 weeks before the fight. The promoter agreed to the weight change but the opponent didn't. 

To me, that's not an agreement then.

They all knew this was going to happen. But stuck to promoting the fight. And when it didn't happen went onto TV and said the opponent bottled it.

Kelly's opponent weighed in, probably because he knew, if you weigh in, you get paid. And had no intention to fight.

• Paid Members

Jermell Charlo did the business. I had him ahead at the time of the stoppage but the fight seemed to have gone off the boil when the stoppage came. There were a few rounds around 3-4 where I felt this was headed for FOTY status.

Note on the UK broadcasts of these PBC broadcasts with the single man International feed commentary, horrible. It sucks the life out of the show. Night and day from actual Showtime broadcast.